I have a 7100i and was wondering if anyone has any decent recommendations on GPS ... BlackBerry GPS forum

Knine no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CBE9BD

GPS Software

Advertisement

I have a 7100i and was wondering if anyone has any decent recommendations on GPS software that is INEXPENSIVE.

I have seen telenav, and it looks awesome, but I don't need all that functionality.

i am really only looking for the ability to use my phone as a locator/compass.

I always have the need to find my position while in the country and then plot back to a map like MAP POINT or something like that.

Just something that basically shows where I am.

I know most of the other nextel GPS enabled phones have a builtin locator and was actually SHOCKED to see the 7100i didn't have ANYTHING.

Thanks

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: GPS Software

yup telenav is great also try:

www.mologogo.com

TechieGirl no está en línea Stack level 4

Question Re: GPS Software

I have a question about the TelNav software. I want to use it on my 8700g which isn't listed yet on their site. Does anyone using TelNav on an 8700g? Or if using it on a 8700c I would imagine it should work almost identically. Is anything required other than the software? I am very interested in this program. I get lost frequently hehehehee

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Correct me if I am wrong, however I don't believe that the 8700's have the capability for GPS. :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Correct me if I am wrong, however I don't believe that the 8700's have the capability for GPS. :cry:
    That's why I was curious if it required something else because they have it listed as working with the 8700c

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Maybe this is something they are working on for the future? I notice that it has the 7105 listed too, but if you go to their FAQ area, and find the question "What do I need to use Telnav?", they respond "Nextel, Boost Mobile Java Phone or Blackberry 7520" and also mention "Nextel service"

I emailed them from the site so we'll see if I get a response.

After further digging on the website I found this referring to the 8700c

Required for BlackBerry TeleNav Bluetooth GPS Receiver (for BlackBerry 7100g,BlackBerry 7105t,BlackBerry 8700c) - $139.99

Dat explains it!

cjbear10usa no está en línea Stack level 1

Stay tuned and I'll give you a readout. I subscribed only to find that my bluetooth gps device originally purchased for connectivity to a laptop wouldn't talk to their software. The fault is with my cheap gps firmware (doesn't identify self as gps...just device & cannot force a connect).

So, I ordered the Telenav unit (appears to be a re-badged BT-339) and it is due in today. Will play with it over the weekend and share a readout here. BTW, out the door price for subscribing telenav users is <$100 versus the list price quoted below.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by TechieGirl
    After further digging on the website I found this referring to the 8700c

Required for BlackBerry TeleNav Bluetooth GPS Receiver (for BlackBerry 7100g,BlackBerry 7105t,BlackBerry 8700c) - $139.99

Dat explains it!

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

I have a Pharos Bluetooth GPS receiver that I could try with the software. I'm also interested in GPS for my BB. I just haven't had time (yet) to start the research process on software and support.

Good find... thanks for sharing!

First use report on TeleNav gps:
    Worked great in routing me on short trips around home. Previous route determinations for longer distances as compared to other mapping solutions seem to determine comparatively good route determination in 'fastest route' modes (haven't tried other shortest, etc. yet).

My initial guess that my low-end bluetooth gps wasn't compatible was wrong. After more detailed instructions and a quick sync to the new TeleNav gps unit showing succuss, I found an incorrect parameter setting for my older gps unit. DOH!!

I'm excited about this solution as compared to early dedicated gps with routing engines. I do miss some moving map functionality in general driving for anticipating upcoming turns but that is just a personal 'watch the screen' preference when I know where I'm going; no real impact on nav functions.

If you are considering this solution, I'm pleased so far.

My lesson learned on setup for the bluetooth gps: move through Parameters to Bluetooth menu. Type in the bluetooth 'services' reading from your paired bluetooth connection. My particular input was 'SPP' for my older gps; 'BT-GPS COM Port' for the TeleNav gps. This was not well documented prior to receipt of the TeleNav GPS. Other s/w documentation was very thorough.

Sorry for the long-winded post.
    Bear

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Correction: The 7100i has built-in GPS navigation.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-10-2006 at 12:25 AM.

It might. I jumped on the 8700c tangent. Sorry, shoulda been more specific.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    I thought the 7100i had built-in GPS navigation.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

LOL I got confused cause I didn't know what model BB you were referring to

_Bulz_Eye_ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c2287a

I am using telenav on my 7520 and it works just as good as the nav that is on my car. margin of error is probally 10 feet. Also I like telenavs voice over as you drive. Althought I have not figured how to get telenav voice to bradcast to my BT motorola headset.

Any one who has gotten this part worked out, I would love to know..

Thanks
    Bulz