Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have tried BB Maps, Google Maps, and Nav4all on my 8100 Pearl. Here are ... BlackBerry GPS forum

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

GPS reviews: BB MAPS, Google MAPS, Nav4all

Advertisement

I have tried BB Maps, Google Maps, and Nav4all on my 8100 Pearl. Here are some initial observations. I am using a bluetooth GPS receiver (Holux GPSslim286).

1) all 3 programs pair ok with the Pearl.

2) BB MAPs does not update (at least not at car speeds) so the same map stays frozen. It is essentially useless for car navigation. It may be ok for walking.

3) Google Maps is unstable and throws uncaught exceptions in this environment. Also, it does not seem to update maps at car speeds.

4) Nav4all is by far the best of the three programs. It updates very quickly and re-draws maps very quickly. Also, it has turn by turn voice navigation which works very well. The only problem is that the screen is formatted for mobile phones, so that it is sometimes not possible to access the buttons to select a feature using the trackball. Also, if you turn off the GPS before exiting the program, the program will keep looking for a GPS and display a clock signal every few seconds. If the program cannot be successfully exited, it is necessary to do a battery pull. Despite all this, it outperforms either of the above programs for car navigation, and it is FREE! Download from www.navrall.com.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: GPS reviews: BB MAPS, Google MAPS, Nav4all

you link is broken...

ASTMedic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E995D1

Have you tried Mapquest maps? I had very poor results from nav4all. It kept freezing.

His link needs to say www.nav4all.com or here is better http://nav4all.com/site2/nav4all.com/eng/index.php

ratm68 no está en línea Stack level 1

Google map gives me error when I try to follow it's direction and have my GPS on at the same time. BBMap is pretty good but lacks traffic info. I don't understand the OP when he/she reference that it doesn't update. my BBMap has a option to ro either always face north or it can rotate the map in the direction you are going.

ultraspaz no está en línea Stack level 2

BB map freezes for me also when zoomed in too close at highway speeds. It just can't download and apply the map changes fast enough. If I zoom out or am moving slower then the software keeps up. Still a pain though as I have missed a few turns because of lockup.

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Quote Originally Posted by ASTMedic
    Have you tried Mapquest maps? I had very poor results from nav4all. It kept freezing.

His link needs to say www.nav4all.com or here is better http://nav4all.com/site2/nav4all.com/eng/index.php
    What communications connection do you have? I am using T-Mobile EDGE, which has very fast speeds, so I've never had nav4all freeze on me while I'm driving. It takes about one-half second for a new map to load, and a couple of seconds for the map to be drawn. It stays current to at least 70 mph car speed.

nlcmobsta183 no está en línea Stack level 1

what settings u have your tmobile pearl on for the nav4all to work

Lindararith no está en línea Stack level 3

how do you guys get GPS to work? ... do i have to buy something for it to work?

D&L

msgdawkins no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30E861A5

Smile Re: GPS reviews: BB MAPS, Google MAPS, Nav4all

I installed the Nav4all to my 7100i and it works well with the exception of lack of sound due to the Midi file problem we 7100i uses have... If anyone knows of a workaround please let me know asap dawkinsg@gmail.com. Anyway I had to edit the settings and change the GPS from bluetooth to internal. After that it took a few minutes for the phone to pick the satellite. works fine so far. I'll update as I use it more.

!! I also learned that Nav4all will only be free until 01-01-2008!!

MSGD
    Last edited by msgdawkins; 06-18-2007 at 11:56 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    MSG D.

Emanipate Yourself From Mental Slavery, None But Ourselves Can Free Our Minds... (Robert Nesta Marley)

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Quote Originally Posted by Lindararith
    how do you guys get GPS to work? ... do i have to buy something for it to work?
    You have to get a separate Bluetooth GPS receiver. The Bluetooth component allows the receiver to send the GPS data to your Pearl so you can use a program like Nav4all.

To the OP, thanks for this post. I've heard Nav4All works well with the GPS receiver, glad to see another positive post. I'll be scouring Ebay now.

*Sigh* What to do, what to do...buy the GPS receiver for my Pearl or get City Nav for my Garmin handheld...

DesertBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

I used Nav4All on my drive to work and it works pretty good. Even when they start charging it should only be around $20 a year.

I am trying to get InfoSpace to work with my GPS because I really like the features. Beyond411 isnow GPS enabled also.

tecrishon no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by nrcapes
    I am using a bluetooth GPS receiver (Holux GPSslim286)
    I can't find this Holux. I can only find GPSlim 240 and GPSlim 236. Where did you buy this from?

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

everyone should try mapquest navigator best GPS program out there i dont know where i got the link todownload it but since i have had it i dont use any other program for yturn by turn directions

phil0sophic no está en línea Stack level 2

I have a GPSlim 236 and use both BBMaps and Google maps on my pearl with no issues at all with either. I just took a 3 day triparound northern AZ switching between Both as a test with all good results, no system errors and fast updating. The GPSlim is incredably fast to cold start, sensitive as it never lost lock and great battery life. I got it on flea bay.

DesertBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

Mapquest navigator is only available for Sprint and Nextal so it is not really an option for most of us.

I have been using Nav4All for the past 4 days and it is nice. I am planning to do a quick review of the free GPS solutions in the next few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast