So there is no gps hardware lurking in the 8300 somewhere? I read about people ... BlackBerry GPS forum

cnn dude no está en línea Stack level 1

gps question/thoughts

Advertisement

So there is no gps hardware lurking in the 8300 somewhere? I read about people installing telenav and thought it would work but apparently not. You can use Telenav but it has to be with a bluetooth gps unit. Now I'm torn because I want the cam in the 8300 and I don't want to give up Telenav in my 8800. Why can't you give us a device with both RIM?!?!

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: gps question/thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by cnn dude
    So there is no gps hardware lurking in the 8300 somewhere? I read about people installing telenav and thought it would work but apparently not. You can use Telenav but it has to be with a bluetooth gps unit. Now I'm torn because I want the cam in the 8300 and I don't want to give up Telenav in my 8800. Why can't you give us a device with both RIM?!?!
    Are you asking for advise as to which unit you should have? I think the bottom line is which one do you want? Maybe RIM will come out with a unit that will satisfy everyone, GPS is not that big of a deal to me, I would like to see all the bugs worked out of the 8300 so I can get one.
    Hang in there something maybe coming.

evilhomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

So they can continue to sell us updated devices you silly man!

Seriously though, I'd consider this: You can add a BT GPS receiver to an 8300 but you can't add a camera to the 8800. (Not counting duct tape here) I'd rather have the flexibility of having both features. Also, the feel of the devices shape and keyboards are much different so that might contribute to your final decision.
    Last edited by evilhomer; 06-12-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. -Homer

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There might be a GPS-equipped 83xx down the road but if you want GPS with the 8300 you're stuck using a BT GPS puck. That's the double-edged sword of being an early adopter...

artjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31006C6F
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog
    Are you asking for advise as to which unit you should have? I think the bottom line is which one do you want? Maybe RIM will come out with a unit that will satisfy everyone, GPS is not that big of a deal to me, I would like to see all the bugs worked out of the 8300 so I can get one.
    so what are some of the bugs with the curve?

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by artjr
    so what are some of the bugs with the curve?
    They may not be classified as official "bugs" but some users have problems with unit re-boot/restart on its own. You just have to do your research, this site has tons of good information. Some have no problems. The thing keeping me from the 8300 is the "restart". I had that problem with the Palm Treo, now I'm using the 8700c.
    Good luck, I'm waiting just a bit longer.

I already have both...I want both the cam and the gps in one device though! I'm torn between which to stick with because I do not have gps built into my car and I've used it a number of times on the 8800 but have been wanting a camera on my crackberry forever.

They may not be classified as official "bugs" but some users have problems with unit re-boot/restart on its own. You just have to do your research, this site has tons of good information. Some have no problems. The thing keeping me from the 8300 is the "restart". I had that problem with the Palm Treo, now I'm using the 8700c.
    I saw that problem with one of my users today...it rebooted to tiny icons of where there were a few dozen and it almost looked like the desktop was in text mode...there was just about no color on the icons and everything was out of sorts...I had to wipe it and enterprise activate again

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

No GPS, at least not w/o the unit is correct. However the Curve has EVERYTHING else. I Demo'd one today and the curve rocks!! The media player is awesome and the sound is so much better than my pearl. I am so jealous. The only difficulty for me would be getting used to the standard keys again

baerenator no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)I've been having the same issue and I have both to test right now. Neither is a clear winner, haven't had a reset yet. I think ATT service is going to be the deal breaker, I don't trust the bars, they don't seem to accurately represent the signal. Calls start to get fuzzy in areas where I show 4 bars. The 8300 feel is different compared to the 8830 too, the camera isn't up to snuff so that isn,t going to be the deciding factor . Frankly once I got the ringer issue addressed on the 8830 with Audacity the useability rating went up, the keyboard takes more getting used to though. But one other stacker said it, it comes down to the carrier service first, there will always be a better phone.

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

Thumbs up Re: gps question/thoughts

i have had my curve sinse 06/02/2007 and havent had "ANY" issues with it soo far~