Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BB Maps works with no GPS (I know from my 8100 Pearl), but it does ... BlackBerry GPS forum

Khalnath no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2096DDEC

Advertisement

BB Maps works with no GPS (I know from my 8100 Pearl), but it does not do cell site triangulation like Google Maps. You can manually scroll to view the map or use a bluetooth GPS puck, though. RIM's API is really good about integrating external GPS units; it's actually pretty easy and works very well.

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    Bbmaps does work without gps but it sucks. It gets your approximate location and you have to move it around from there.

As for google, I liked that it has the street view and you can use satellite view. I don't like the size of it though, there's something about a 700MB file that bothers me.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    [QUOTE=getsugatensho;1146986]Bbmaps does work without gps but it sucks. It gets your approximate location and you have to move it around from there.

As for google, I liked that it has the street view and you can use satellite view.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    Transit == busses. I'm pretty sure you have busses in Colorado, Kansas, or 30 other states.

If Google has bus route info for your city (they do for mine), it will tell you how to get somewhere by transit complete with route numbers, times, and the location of the bus stop. It's real handy when the bus is too crowded or steamed up to see out the windows, I can tell where I am along the route with my GPS.

I don't know where the 700mb figure came from... Google Maps is rough on your data connection, but not nearly *THAT* rough. It caches maps on your phone so it doesn't have to re-download them every time.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Oh we have a light rail but it pretty much runs on a track so you know where its going we have the RTD bus system, which i can find a stop if i know the name of it, on the map but nothing about the next stop or bus number and any of that.. There are only a few cities that have that i think. how ever it is nice that google maps does have that.. I have to instead call a number and use a robot answering maching to get the info for the bus.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    Open the menu, click "Get Directions", and select the "transit" tab at the top. Is that what you're using, or are you doing "Search Map"?

Your local transit service would have to have given the route info to Google. If they haven't, it'll say "Transit routing is unavailable in this area.", and you should yell and scream at them until they do. It's awesome.
    Last edited by Khalnath; 05-21-2009 at 05:32 PM.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Transit directions aren't that special because 1. I drive and 2. In Toronto where I'm from, Ottawa where I go to school, and New York where I am often, the bus routes are so intricate that you really don't need google maps to know where you're going. A bus will take you anywhere in those 3 cities. And if you went to a bus station, or sat on a bus and looked at the map, it would take you less than 30 seconds to know where you are or going.
    Google latitude is not that exciting, to see where your friends are is not a feature that anyone I know cares about.

My original point of the thread was to find out the features that are different to really see the difference. So far I've read, transit route (useless), google latitude (useless), and traffic (which I've never used but if it works, then I'd say that's a good feature).

I'm summarizing that they really aren't that different in performance.

Khalnath, if you're wondering what I was expecting, I was looking for "google maps uses less data" or "google maps doesn't have the small streets in new areas on the software" those to me are answers that jump out
    Last edited by smooth10; 05-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I got "no traffic info here" when I tried to get traffic reports. Does that mean it's not working or that there's just no traffic to worry about?

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Sorry, i never ride the bus lol, the kids do sometimes, but i just checked it and you are right its on there :P i was using search map...

street view is nice because a couple time i was looking for a store and didnt remember exactly where it was, but using street view i was able to see what was around it and knew that it was the one i was looking for.

This for me is great news, because i recently learned that i could install google maps on a pantech duo, which is what the kids have, so now they will be able to look up the bus route lol

I have a question, does bbmaps run in the back ground? google does, and if you leave it on and then make a long trip it will run your phone out of memory and make it reboot. cus it downloads all the maps in the background on what ever zoom level you have it on.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Good question! I should always remember to exit that program. I didn't know google does that even in the background

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12