Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All the threads I've read on this topic don't really answer the question. So here ... BlackBerry GPS forum

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337

Question GPS Question

Advertisement

All the threads I've read on this topic don't really answer the question. So here it is again.

Which application is better and WHY? BlackBerry Maps or Google Maps?

All threads just have people saying which one they like better but not why it is better. Things like "Google maps all the way" or "I couldn't live without google maps, I use it everyday"

But I want some facts as to which one is the better application and why. So if you have used both applications and do have some facts about which one is better, please share. Thanks!

Khalnath no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    Google Maps pretty much does everything BlackBerry Maps does, as far as I can see. The main reason I use Google Maps all the time and rarely use BB Maps is that Google Maps does transit directions and BB Maps doesn't.

BB Maps exists because it'd be dumb as hell for RIM to make smartphones with builtin GPS capabilities and have no software that uses the GPS packed in. Plus it's easy for developers to integrate BlackBerry Maps into their own apps.

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    I could be wrong but isnt BB maps NOT free?

iLord is DEAD!

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    Both BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps are free applications. Both use your data connection to download maps, which may or may not be free depending on your data plan.

Hummmm.........

Ive been using Google maps cause I though the BB one was a pay one. Gonna have to check BBMAPS out now. thanks.

iLord is DEAD!

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    No you don't have to pay for them as long as you have a data plan. It just uses your data.

So other than transit directions, both applications are equal?

It woud be crazzzzzzy, not to have a data plan!!!

I do have a data plan, but still use my WIFI, just to see how many diff, people dont have a secure network, and thats crazzzzzy too....

iLord is DEAD!

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    sooner: Some people have email + IM only data plans. Moreso in Canada because of Rogers' silly data rates.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Yeah I have some friends, that have IM plans, and use their home wifi, for the rest.. no bbmesenger or any of the fun stuff

One thing to note google maps has street view, and voice search.. included for some phone/os combinations and also has google latitude that you can see where your friends are if they have it.
    Last edited by rashard; 05-21-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by rashard View Post
    Yeah I have some friends, that have IM plans, and use their home wifi, for the rest.. no bbmesenger or any of the fun stuff

One thing to note google maps has street view, and voice search.. included for some phone/os combinations and also has google latitude that you can see where your friends are if they have it.
    Thanks for getting us back on track. Voice search? What phone/os combinations do you need for that?

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    So to this point, as far as comparing the two gps applications, google maps does transit routes and allows voice search for only some phone/os combinations

Are those the only features it has over blackberry maps?

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    BB Maps doesn't have any features that Google Maps doesn't, that I am aware of.

PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Ok understood... then why is one better than the other? Don't tell me that everyone loves google maps because of transit routes lol.

Every thread I read, people choose it over blackberry maps, I just figured something would stand out

PIN/ID
    2096DDEC
    Um. Google Maps has features that BB Maps doesn't, BB Maps doesn't have any features that Google Maps doesn't, and both are free.

What about that doesn't stand out to you? It seems like a no brainer to me.

... and really, you don't think transit routing is a big deal? It's a BIG DEAL. Plus Google Maps has satellite view and latitude and traffic reporting and...

If you're looking for someone to chime in with "BB Maps ownzorz Google Maps!" it's probably not going to happen. I don't know what else you're expecting.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Sorry i got busy at work.. I was wrong about the street view/and voice, i had a GPS blackberry that Had it, Now i have a different blackberry with no GPS but google maps still works via cell tower triangulation. (I thought it didnt have voice or street view, but now I see that i just forgot which buttons to push to get them, so its completely functional on 4.2 up to 4.5 that i know of. and works on all 81, 83, 88, version.

I dont think BB maps works with no GPS on the phone does it?

Also you have to mess with your phone to get bb maps to work with AT&T

with google you dont.

And sorry but i dont even know what transit maps are lol, We dont use them in colorado, or kansas or 30 other states lol
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast