Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK - I'm about to ditch my 5 year old trusty but dusty Verizon Blackberry ... BlackBerry GPS forum

surfpirate no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS on 8703e - Verizon vs. Sprint

Advertisement

OK - I'm about to ditch my 5 year old trusty but dusty Verizon Blackberry 6750 preferably for a new 8703e. I want to keep Verizon Wireless service because I can share minutes via a Family shareplan with the OnStar phone in my GM truck (very convenient).

But .... the Verizon Wireless people tell me that I can't get GPS turn-by-turn directions on the 8703e? That's a feature I really want. When the VZW sales guy heard that he kept trying to steer me to the 'Chocolate' phone until I finally had to walk away from him.

So I went over to Sprint. They tell me that absolutely, I can use their Garmin Mobile with the 8703e and get the turn-by-turn GPS etc.

So my question. Is it true that the Verizon 8703e is not compatible with GPS turn-by-turn (or whatever Verizon uses)?

Like I said, I want to stay with Verizon Wireless to keep the shared minutes thing going with my GM truck's OnStar ...... but I really want the Garmin Mobile GPS.

Anyone know the real deal here? Thanks. I did a search but couldn't find this particular feature Verizon/Sprint comparison.

Re: GPS on 8703e - Verizon vs. Sprint

Ahhh ..... found answer elsewhere (other forums). Verizon does NOT enable this feature. Sprint does. Bummer.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hi surfpirate, welcome to pinstack. Sorry I didnt get to your earlier. Glad you found the answer. It is true, the Verizon version does not utilize GPS as the Sprint version does, which is only because of the merger between Sprint and Nextel, since Nextel was the original provider of GPS applications.

Any other questions please ask.

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    Hi surfpirate, welcome to pinstack. Sorry I didnt get to your earlier. Glad you found the answer. It is true, the Verizon version does not utilize GPS as the Sprint version does, which is only because of the merger between Sprint and Nextel, since Nextel was the original provider of GPS applications.

Any other questions please ask.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    So Verizon will NEVER activate the GPS on their BBs? I'm not sure I understand the reason since they do have it on other phones, e.g. the 'Chocolate'. I've seen suggestions in other posts that they may activate GPS on BBs at some later date.

I'll probably go with Verizon for a number of reasons anyway, primarily because I get a 20% discount on the data and voice services (also I can get the 8703e for $199.99). Also the ability to Family SharePlan voice minutes with my GM OnStar service. But I did like the GPS - oh well.

bmedude no está en línea Stack level 2

you can get an external bluetooth gps for about 50 bucks (about 80 if you get a sirfstar III chipset) and tie it up with a mapping program. in the long run you will save money and will probably end up with a more reliable product.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Quote Originally Posted by surfpirate
    Thanks for the welcome.
    So Verizon will NEVER activate the GPS on their BBs? I'm not sure I understand the reason since they do have it on other phones, e.g. the 'Chocolate'. I've seen suggestions in other posts that they may activate GPS on BBs at some later date.

I'll probably go with Verizon for a number of reasons anyway, primarily because I get a 20% discount on the data and voice services (also I can get the 8703e for $199.99). Also the ability to Family SharePlan voice minutes with my GM OnStar service. But I did like the GPS - oh well.
    You can get a discount with Sprint if you qualify. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you more info. As for the 8703e, its $350.
    Last edited by cp6169; 11-06-2006 at 04:02 PM.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F

Quote Originally Posted by surfpirate
    Ahhh ..... found answer elsewhere (other forums). Verizon does NOT enable this feature. Sprint does. Bummer.
    Thats crazzy, But did you look up just an add on GPS equipment and software? im trying to search some out for you. Sprint is just too expensive for their data packages etc. I do have a Nextel for work (since nextel and sprint phones are totally differnt and run through still 2 differnt companies) Get a BB through Tmobile or nextel before u goto sprint.

Honestly i think there has to be something out there for VZN to use turn by turn GPS

Quote Originally Posted by bmedude
    you can get an external bluetooth gps for about 50 bucks (about 80 if you get a sirfstar III chipset) and tie it up with a mapping program. in the long run you will save money and will probably end up with a more reliable product.
    Thanks. Good advice. How exactly would that work with a Verizon BB if Verizon hasn't enabled the GPS feature?

Can you recommend any specific external bluetooth GPS in the '50 bucks' range?

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    You can get a discount with Sprint if you qualify. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you more info. As fro the 8703e, its $350.
    When I compared I could get Verizon for roughly $88/month while Sprint would be $110/month:

Verizon (with 20% discount)
    $31.99 unlimited data plan and Family Shareplan for $55.99 (700 minutes) or $71.99 (1400 minutes).

Sprint
    $39.99 unlimited data plan and Fair & Flexible Family Plans of $69.99 (700 minutes) or $89.99 (1400 minutes).

And the 8703e at Verizon is $199.99. I've had Sprint for years, but it seems I should convert to Verizon with better rates. NOTE: No one at the Sprint store offered any discounts or other incentives to keep me when I explained the situation.

Brooose no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3032A20A

Try a call to Retention to see if they can add a 20% discount or give you a better voice plan. The people at the stores are useless and don't have access to any of these other plans. Just call *2, say cancel and then explain your situation honestly to the retention rep. Usually, if you are a long time customer, they will give you a break.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~also if you get a company discount with verizon they have the 8703 for $120 right now

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3

With OnStar - why the need for GPS? I can get navigation turn-by-turn data beamed to my car via OnStar.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Let's get this straight. Verizon has disabled the internal GPS on their 8703e. Sprint has not. That doesn't mean that you can't get GPS with Verizon. You just have to use an external BT GPS receiver (where you wouldn't have to with Sprint).

Whether or not you can get turn-by-turn prompts depends on the software you decide to use.

bostongraf no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Let's get this straight. Verizon has disabled the internal GPS on their 8703e. Sprint has not. That doesn't mean that you can't get GPS with Verizon. You just have to use an external BT GPS receiver (where you wouldn't have to with Sprint).

Whether or not you can get turn-by-turn prompts depends on the software you decide to use.
    Very new to the BB world, however, I'm not sure if this is correct. It appears as though the BlueTooth services on the Verizon BBs are only enabled for headsets and handsfree systems. For instance, we cannot get a bluetooth external keyboard (Stowaway Shasta) to function with the 7130e. From other reading, it appears as though the Verizon BBs would NOT be able to integrate with an external keyboard or external GPS unit.

Is there a way to enable these services that I am missing?

Or would the software being used (Google Maps) provide the "services" between GPS recvr and google maps software?

Or am I way off base because the OP was discussing a 8703e, while I have the 7130e?

Thanks for any help.

[*edit to correct poor typing!]

steveandpeggyb no está en línea Stack level 1

Apparently, The only way to get the GPS to work on the Verizon BB is to subscribe to their $9.99 per month VZnavigator package (I am guessing). I went into Verizon and complained to their technical group about disabling the GPS to no avail. I want to know why I payed for some hardware that they are not letting me use!

Business Decision that might just bite them in the butt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast