Hey guys, I read a really great post on the BB8800 forum. The GPS enabled ... BlackBerry GPS forum

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

GPS independant of Data Coverage area

Advertisement

Hey guys, I read a really great post on the BB8800 forum. The GPS enabled BBs currently have to be in a Data coverage area to views the maps. Well, at least where I'm at anyway. We should have country/region map software like other GPS devices do. The last GPS I owned actually broke it down city by city. But anyhow, sell the GPS enabled BBs with the map software so we can use GPS outside data/cell coverage areas. All in favor? Favour for my pommie and aussie friends ; )
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2
    bb maps needs data not the gps... BB maps downloads the maps to your phone and the gps tells the phone where you are at relative to the map downloaded

rpatel18 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: GPS independant of Data Coverage area

yeah but what if i'm not in a cell phone covered area......the gps is useless then. We should be able to install maps on the the phone from the pc without having to go online via the phone.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ that's why I think it would be a good idea to have the maps already loaded to your BB. Then the gps can show you where you're at, as well as guide you in those tricky "no service" areas. Since you need data to download the maps it only really "works" where you have a data connection. But like rpatel is saying outside of these areas the GPS still functions, but not in a practical sense since you can't actually see any of the maps. If we had preloaded maps like dedicated GPS units (Navman is one I could think of off the top of my head) then we could have the same functionality outside of cell coverage areas. In AUS I know of some businesses that would be able to use such functionality. If anyone else can think of places in other countries please post them as it could only help the idea grow.

rpatel18 no está en línea Stack level 1

I often travel to Europe and India and find my self in many places that are lacking cell phone coverage. Especially in India and other developing countries of the same type.

musical1806 no está en línea Stack level 1

why wait till you have no coverage. i have an older unit with co pilot on that dosnt even need a sim card in to use the sat nav, unfortunatly it doesnt have gps built in unlike my BB. a stand alone one of payment for a full upto date full coverage maps like in either co pilot or tom tom with an annual update option would be preferable to me.