Hi there, I've tried the GPS ( with google maps ) on my 8800... which ... BlackBerry GPS forum

proenca no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS for 8800 for walking !

Advertisement

Hi there,

I've tried the GPS ( with google maps ) on my 8800... which works ok ( still a bit slow to download maps ) whilst driving but works HORRIBLY whilst walking.

I have a in car GPS. I wanted the 8800 GPS for walking - google maps does a terrible job at this ( I assume because my walking speed is slow ( or not as fast as a car ) so he cannot say where Iam/going.

Is Telenav / BBmaps any better in this regard ? Do you guys use any particular GPS program for walking ? Or its just not possible to walk and use the gps of the 8800 ?

cheers

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: GPS for 8800 for walking !

I played a bit with TeleNav while walking around. It works well, it follows you at the map and can tell you what is your speed with 2mph accuracy (which in my case was either 0mph or 2mph).
    However, the option that you might specifically like is direction that are being calculated for pedestrians.

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987

BB Maps tells you the speed also and updates quite regularly while walking.
    For some reason the GPS on google maps when driving is terrible for me. It will spend a few minutes tracking you perfectly then spend the next few with you standstill, it annoys the hell out of me since I prefer the directions Google Maps gives not to mention the rerouting and traffic details.

Try out BB Maps though.

dilipc no está en línea Stack level 3

I agree that Google maps sometimes takes ages to download, after tracking perfectly for a few minutes. Is it because its servers are over-busy coz it's free? I don't know....

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I use BBMaps when I am on foot, especially in cities. For hiking, etc, I use a real GPS.

DaddyFizzle no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    28A34994

Mapquest Navigator has a feature for walking...