i've seen some people with the Holux 236 and 240 and a couple of others ... BlackBerry GPS forum

finnadat no está en línea Stack level 1

Arrow GPS BT Device for the 8100 end user questions...

Advertisement

i've seen some people with the Holux 236 and 240 and a couple of others on these boards - what are the pros and cons that you have experienced? I would like to use a gps with my perl for google maps as well the ability to gps tag on pictures I take with my canon rebel xti.

so anybody have firsthand experience with a gps bt device and the pros/cons of it? I'm on tmob if that makes any difference. thanks!

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: GPS BT Device for the 8100 end user questions...

Since the pearl does not have an integrated GPS it is necessary to have the BT gps puck if you want to do GPS. I personally own the Holux 240 and I love it since it is very small ( about the size of some older USB drives). It last a very long time between charge (I think link 8 hours). It has a lanyard hole so that you could even wear it around your neck.

I don't know much about the Holux 236. I know it is quite a bit larger. I would assume it would work the same.

Carrier has no bearing.

quantumiq no está en línea Stack level 2

i just recieved my holux m1000 in the mail today. so far it works pretty well, i could see myself driving on the maps as well as how fast i was going. havne't gotten turn by turn directions yet, but i hope to do so soo. the size of the reciever isn't very big either. hope this helps

backdoc no está en línea Stack level 2

What mapping program are you guys using? I just received my 240 and will try it tonight. I've heard some ay it will not work with Telenav?

jmarley no está en línea Stack level 2

i just got my holux 236 in today. my first thought was about how small it is. its about the size of the keypad on the Pearl. I had downloaded google maps just before i got it, because i heard it works well. there were a few questions i had, hopefully someone can help me. it was very cool using it, although google maps doesnt show you how fast you are going, while i believe blackberry maps does (im trying that on the way home). a couple of questions i have about google maps and GPS in general:

when using google maps if i go slightly off track, i guess it does not make me a new route to get back on track unless i hit options>directions>start from>current location, and then use same ending location, correct?

also, if i am on the map and moving along, if i go off of the map, i thought it would automatically pan for me? is this not the case?

last one. the directions are broken down into steps. after i complete one step, i.e. turning onto a particular road, i was hoping the directions for the next step would pop up (such as continue on hwy 7 for 14 miles) or something like that.

am i just asking too much here, or is there a program that does all these things? if not, i think it is very cool for my phone and well worth the $50.

I used google maps on the way to work, and at 11 i will use blackberry maps on the way home. I heard that nav4all is also a cool program, and i think it gives voice directions and is free? i could be wrong, ill have to double check. I looked in to telenav, but it is for sprint/nextel and i have AT&T. looking forward to learning more about GPS! Thanks guys

rspoppel no está en línea Stack level 1

I am using the iBlue (iBT-GPS) that I had for a while. I bought it for my Dell Axim (PDA) and it works great with that. On a whim I tried it out with the 8100 on BB Maps and it works fine on that as well. I am not sure they sell it anymore but the last I looked they were $74. The key for me was the batery life. The company claims 30hrs, I've never run out. I use it and then plug it into the charger every few days.

Here's a commercial link but I don't think they sell them anymore (been "out of stock" for a long time)
    http://www.buygpsnow.com/i-blue-ps-3...e-gps-509.aspx