Thinking about buying a GPS device to use with the Curve as anyone purchased one ... BlackBerry GPS forum

slider8300 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3058d9fc

GPS and the Curve

Advertisement

Thinking about buying a GPS device to use with the Curve as anyone purchased one or have any experience using certain make and models. I purchased one for my Dell Axim but not a bluetooth. There also seems to be talk about google not working with bluetooth GPS devices on the curve.

perlguy9 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM

Re: GPS and the Curve

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I bought one from geeks.com for <$40. I haven't had much time to play with it. FYI the google maps I installed as part of the OTA services.google.com bundle has Bluetooth GPS support.

It appears to work, but like I said, I haven't messed with it much.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by slider8300
    There also seems to be talk about google not working with bluetooth GPS devices on the curve.
    Bluetooth GPS devices work fine on the Curve (Blackberry Maps, TeleNav, etc.) However the version of Google Maps that Google downloads to the Curve does not have the feature to use a GPS, unlike the version of Google Maps that downloads to the 8700. I've been thinking of trying to move it manually over from my 8700 and see if I can make the GPS enabled version work on my curve.

PIN/ID
    PM

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman
    Bluetooth GPS devices work fine on the Curve (Blackberry Maps, TeleNav, etc.) However the version of Google Maps that Google downloads to the Curve does not have the feature to use a GPS, unlike the version of Google Maps that downloads to the 8700. I've been thinking of trying to move it manually over from my 8700 and see if I can make the GPS enabled version work on my curve.
    The version that you get when you install from services.google.com includes Bluetooth GPS support on the Curve.

Quote Originally Posted by perlguy9
    The version that you get when you install from services.google.com includes Bluetooth GPS support on the Curve.
    Can you give some more details as to how to do this? I tried going to http://services.google.com but it re-directs to http://www.google.com and the version for download there (Maps -> Download Maps) is the same 1.5.2 version with the GPS support on the Curve disabled.

PIN/ID
    PM

Sorry, it looks like I used a different URL!

Try, OTA: http://www.google.com/m/products

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

from your blackberry, visit www.google.com/gmm

Quote Originally Posted by perlguy9
    Sorry, it looks like I used a different URL!

Try, OTA: http://www.google.com/m/products
    That worked, this does install a newer build of Google Maps 1.5.2 (V4) which does have the Bluetooth GPS option! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    from your blackberry, visit www.google.com/gmm
    At last try (24 hours ago) the gmm link is installing a build of Google Maps that does not support Bluetooth GPS. See previous post for link which does allow you to download a Bluetooth GPS enabled version.
    Last edited by Flashman; 06-11-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Automerged.