I've been reding all over how google maps doesn't use gps but the site says ... BlackBerry GPS forum

bfdm_mexi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a27821

gps and google maps

Advertisement

I've been reding all over how google maps doesn't use gps but the site says its compatible and the software itself let's you enable a bluetooth puck if you own a 8300 (like I do). My buddy has a 8310 and I can't find anywhere to enable the gps. Is it ONLY triangulation? And if so why does mine have an option to enable a puck? Help!
    AT&T. 9000 Bold. Fresno, CA

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: gps and google maps

Quote Originally Posted by bfdm_mexi View Post
    I've been reding all over how google maps doesn't use gps but the site says its compatible and the software itself let's you enable a bluetooth puck if you own a 8300 (like I do). My buddy has a 8310 and I can't find anywhere to enable the gps. Is it ONLY triangulation? And if so why does mine have an option to enable a puck? Help!
    There is no option within Google Maps to enable GPS for the 8310. It should detect it and activate it automatically when you start the app.

As for why it shows an option to enable a GPS puck for the 8300 and not for the 8310, is because it recognizes which model of phone it's installed on, and knows that that 8300 doesn't have internal GPS so you'd have to use an external puck with it to enable GPS, whereas the GPS is built in to the 8310 so no need for an external puck.

PIN/ID
    24a27821

ok then heres another question or two. His phone the 8310 still shows triangulation not the blue dot alone. So does it do it automatically? signal problem?

Google Maps should pick it up automatically, so if it's still showing the cell tower triangulation then there's obviously some problem. Sometimes it will take a little for Google Maps to update it with the actual GPS coords after starting the app, but it should eventually (no more than a minute if it's working properly). Have him try refreshing his GPS fix from the 8310 Options:
    • Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS
    • Menu Key -> Refresh GPS
    Of course, he needs to be outside with a clear view of the sky for the GPS receiver to be able to pick up a signal (sometimes I can get it to work inside if I'm near a window).

PIN/ID
    24a27821

gotcha we were inside trying to figure it out... I'll do the refresh. Thanx bonebox. trust level ^

Cool, that's probably all it is then.. thanks for the trust!