Ok....Im lazy and I admit it.... I tried looking through to get my anwer but ... BlackBerry GPS forum

benthabits no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Question Gps & At&t = $?

Advertisement

Ok....Im lazy and I admit it.... I tried looking through to get my anwer but there was nothing that I could find specific to this question..... and the sales guys at the stores lie....so...here we go....

I have the Blackberry 8310 with AT&T unlimited data plan of course you all know that this phone has the built in GPS. If Im using google maps does it just use the data plan? And the same for telenav....data plan?

I dont really want to rack up a higher bill then I already have...but if Im in the clear....then I till gps my self to places I already know

The guy at AT&T said that I would need to subscribe to their GPS plan. I said I will ask PinkStack instead

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Gps & At&t = $?

i dont think u need to get any other plan if u already have unlim data plan to use google maps with ur gps. it uses data to show u the maps and such...so u r in the clear. however, with telenav, i think u need to subscribe to telenav package (some monthly fee...i think $10 pm...not sure)...so if u plan to use telenav, u will have to pay more than ur regular bill...i wud stick with googlemaps unless u dont mind paying more for telenav...

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

yes, if you use telenav you'll end up paying for it.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

telenav is subsription based. You pay a monthly charge

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

telenav is subscription based which 9.99 a month. google maps just uses your data plan already on there
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

benthabits no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

So does telenav have a pay for use thing? can it be uninstalled?

I like google maps... SO I will be using that.. no need for something to charge me more money

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

i think what your asking is if you need to have the gps plan activated on at&t's side. the answer is yes. until you get the gps plan you don't have gps, regardless of if the phone has it installed, it needs to be activated.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

the GPS will work on the curve, without having to subscribe to Telenav. there were a couple of other 'free' apps out there -- can't remember the names, sorry

Telenav, alternatively, has a pay per use program too...i think its like 5 uses for a certain dollar amount.

but again, if you are looking for free, telenav is not what you want...

TNgal22 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    i think what your asking is if you need to have the gps plan activated on at&t's side. the answer is yes. until you get the gps plan you don't have gps, regardless of if the phone has it installed, it needs to be activated.
    Uh? I didn't activate any GPS plan. I did have to get a Data plan in order to use data but that was it. I use Google Maps and just hide the Telenav icon. Free is always good! LOL Plus I know where I am going most of the time. LOL

jaydabee no está en línea Stack level 3
    You do not have to subscribe to TeleNav in order for your GPS to work with 3rd party apps, such as google maps. One interesting thing about google maps is that starting last week they also started using a triangulated cell tower signal to figure out location. This means it works indoors! Very useful when you are at work and looking for a bar to go to.

What Telenav does is give you turn by turn voice prompts, just like a car based GPS would do. It will not work in doors. And it cost money. I have a 5 use plan per month that runs about 5 bucks, but I"m thinking of getting rid of that and trying XM radio in its place.

sergioe no está en línea Stack level 1

blackbery maps is also a good GPS App. And it's Free! from what i've read previously, it works on some at&t 8310's and some it don't.

sportsroc no está en línea Stack level 1

jaydabee is correct, you do not have to subscribe to anything at all for the gps to work with third party apps...Telenav is considered a higher end, first rate service as opposed to google maps, and i personally use Telenav, however, google is a heck of a free program. but to answer you question, the GPS will work regardless of you paying for telenav...ha, and like jaydabee says, google maps actually does offer a couple things Telenav does not, like the triangulated esitmate when GPS is not pickin up and you can also choose between Satilite view or map view...pretty cool...word