does anyone know if there is a free program to use the gps system on ... BlackBerry GPS forum

carlton26 no está en línea Stack level 1

Gps????????

Advertisement

does anyone know if there is a free program to use the gps system on the 8310. i want to get directions with a color map on my phone.

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    I think the newset version of Google Maps uses GPS... I THINK. Not positive though. On mine in triangulates my location using P2P positioning, but I don't have a built in GPS
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

rammerjammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    wilsticu
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Try Co-Pilot. It has a free 6 month trial.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    Do you have a data plan? Even though GPS is free the data for maps is not. So whatever what you look at it you need a data plan to use the GPS. Althought there was a thread about Trekbuddy which used maps off your MicroSD Card.

Best free options for GPS are Google Maps and GSPed. Those are the ones I use. Turn by turn voice directions Co-pilot for 6 months, and there is Nav4all which is ok. If you want better interfaces you're going to need to start shelling out some money. I think Garmin has a deal with $99 bucks and you get a life time subscription for your device. It's not transferable though.

Good luck

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    If you can get amAze to work (which I don't know if anyone has) its supposed to be good. I just prefer to use telenav

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

carlton26 no está en línea Stack level 1
    hey thanks guys i have been using the google maps and it works great. i used to have a pearl and the google map was horrible. it always gave the wrong directions. so far with my new curve it pinpoints exactly where i am. does anyone know if garmin has an aviation program for the curve with a moving map or a similar program that would really nice.
    Last edited by carlton26; 05-30-2008 at 10:00 PM.

diesel86 no está en línea Stack level 1
    hey does the GPS work on the 8320 curve, in other words does it come ready do use??

johnwill no está en línea Stack level 1
    My ATT 8310 GPS used to work fine. I do have data plan of course. It stopped working. Went to ATT Device Support Center yesterday for replacement. I said please check to see if GPS working. They did not check the hardware, only said that I need to sign up with TeleNav to have GPS work. I started to argue but they were adamant that it would not work unless I paid.

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
    hey does the GPS work on the 8320 curve, in other words does it come ready do use??
    No, just the xx10 series have internal GPS...all others need an external puck

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwill View Post
    My ATT 8310 GPS used to work fine. I do have data plan of course. It stopped working. Went to ATT Device Support Center yesterday for replacement. I said please check to see if GPS working. They did not check the hardware, only said that I need to sign up with TeleNav to have GPS work. I started to argue but they were adamant that it would not work unless I paid.
    Nav4All should work. If that's not, go to ooptions-GPS and make sure its turned on. If it is and its not working demand a replacement. Any gps program will work on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    Nav4All should work. If that's not, go to ooptions-GPS and make sure its turned on. If it is and its not working demand a replacement. Any gps program will work on the phone.
    These AT&T people are really bad (like their old days of wireless). Just was in contact with AT&T support. They said it might just be a setting and that I should first contact the manufacturer.

I am at my wit's end with this whole episode.

Finally got a great guy from NH AT&T who helped me. Within minutes he sent me an RMA #, and the turd from the Waltham Device Support center called me and I got a new unit today.

And yes, the GPs works fine on this one and yes I have no Telenav subscription.

Take THAT you AT&T useless tech support and thanks to all the posters above for your advice, I appreciate it.

John