Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by inc188 it is enlabed.... i got it figured out... it takes a ... BlackBerry GPS forum

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: gps

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by inc188
    it is enlabed.... i got it figured out... it takes a while for the satelites to find it and i have to be totally out side for it to work...

one thing i didnt like is that the google maps gives me a map within 40 meters... i tried it a few times it was way off the target.. i dont know whats happening..
    40 meters isn't bad, although 10 meters is the norm. The only way to get closer is to use wide area augmentation, but that is not an option on a BB. Usually reserved for airplanes but is also available for surveyors and the like on very expensive devices.

omlieber no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: gps

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I haven't seen yahoo go, but have pointed my 8830 browser to go.yahoo.com. It's not perfect, but provides a lot of info in a simple layout.

Firefishe no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: gps WHAT THE???

Quote Originally Posted by inc188
    it is enlabed.... i got it figured out... it takes a while for the satelites to find it and i have to be totally out side for it to work...

one thing i didnt like is that the google maps gives me a map within 40 meters... i tried it a few times it was way off the target.. i dont know whats happening..
    If I might ask you this: Are you telling me that the 8830's internal gps, when set to "Location On," is actually *w-o-r-k-i-n-g*???

The reason I ask this comes from a variety of testing with certain mapping software, including BlackBerry Maps, which comes with the 8830. BB Maps' Options Menu item has a spot to select the gps source.

I would think that, if the 8830's internal gps were functioning--when set to "Location On"--then BB Maps would be picking up the signal feed. However, I gather, from my own experiments, that Verizon has, indeed, negated the gps feed signal at the firmware level, locking out any type of software access to the internal gps's signal feed.

I have been lucky with a demo version of Spot for BlackBerry, insofar as seeing software recognize the 8830's internal gps hardware/chipset: When the 8830 is set to "Location On," Spot does recognize the presence of the hardware. However, Spot doesn't pick up any data stream from the hardware. Close, but no cigar.

So please share what you've figured out. I'm still at a loss.

Thanks in advance,
    Firefishe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12