Does the GPS on the phone have a voice command? As in does it tell ... BlackBerry GPS forum

deeZ2933 no está en línea Stack level 1

Gps...

Advertisement

Does the GPS on the phone have a voice command? As in does it tell you where to turn etc?

mctommy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23e74540

Re: Gps...

there is no GPS on the pearl. It has BB maps and you can also d/l Google maps.

In order to use the GPS functions on BB maps, you need an external GPS receiver like the Holux. You can either get one that use a data link or one that uses BT.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

deez - you can also use a program, such as Telenav, with the GPS. i believe it has voice - turn by turn directions.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Why cant we just have a GPS built in?

Waterdog no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Gps...

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    deez - you can also use a program, such as Telenav, with the GPS. i believe it has voice - turn by turn directions.
    Speaking of Telenav.........

Are any of you folks using it? If so, what do you think; is it worth the 10$ per month?

I am thinking of going in that direction as I travel for a living but wanted to get some feedback for you all.

BTW, this forum has been a huge help as the 8100 is my first foray into the BB world...............thanks for everyones help!

MrGolf no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog
    Speaking of Telenav.........

Are any of you folks using it? If so, what do you think; is it worth the 10$ per month?

I am thinking of going in that direction as I travel for a living but wanted to get some feedback for you all.

BTW, this forum has been a huge help as the 8100 is my first foray into the BB world...............thanks for everyones help!
    For the price of TelNav, in one year, you could have bought half of a Garmin or TomTom with a screen 3 or 4 times the size of the pearl's. I don't need audible directions, so I'm not too concerned...just my 0.02.

jdog111578 no está en línea Stack level 1

Just my .02, but I personally like using telenav. Its pretty quick for a non-typical gps system. Yes in 2 years you could have bought a good system. but I personally like having the "all in 1" unit. I can most certainly afford a gps unit myself, I just like the convience factor of it. As for the size of the screen, i just listen to the audible so need to ever look at the phone. Any questions let me know, I'll be more than happy to share my experience.
    ~J

GabeBB no está en línea Stack level 1

Voice directions for me really means to use it in the car. When I'm in the car the phone is usually in my pocket, so GPS reception would be useless with a built in receiver. In few years we will see more and more cars with navigation - factory of aftermarket. The built in phone GPS would probably only serve as location service for 911 or looking up a shop or coffee house nearby. I don't' believe RIM would jump on making Pearl a killer in car navigation unit.

mbarlow no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E81EC0

GabeBB, You know, I had the same understanding about GPS receivers (needed line of sight as you said), but my bluetooth GPS receiver gets a decent signal while in the arm rest of my car. Go figure. I also use it with Intelligolf and I keep it inside my golf bag.

soarin no está en línea Stack level 2

Well I have telenav, I think that its the best GPS for the pearl. I did a bunch of research and I narrowed it down to telenav, for dollar for dollar telenav is the best choice for the pearl.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

For the price of TelNav, in one year, you could have bought half of a Garmin or TomTom with a screen 3 or 4 times the size of the pearl's. I don't need audible directions, so I'm not too concerned...just my 0.02.
    That is a good point.

I think it is the way of most people that they prefer to pay over time instead of one lump sum. Even though we may pay more over time it doesnt seem to bother anyone. Imagine someone paying for an entire home purchase up front instead of paying it off in 30 years with all the interest.

Im not sure if this will work for any carrier besides Sprint, but if you know someone that has Telenav, and they share the username and password with you, then you could use their Telenav as well.

Thats how I have had Telenav for years without paying.