I ran across a thread yesterday regarding BB Maps and how good it was. I'm ... BlackBerry GPS forum

tryplecrown no está en línea Stack level 1

Google Maps GPS question?

Advertisement

I ran across a thread yesterday regarding BB Maps and how good it was. I'm on AT&T and when I went to download it from BB, it said it wasn't available for AT&T subscribers (evidently because they want you to use the Telenav stuff). It looked like the workaround was to download some alternate version of the OS to get around it, but I'm not too comfortable with that. So, I went out and downloaded Google Maps and have been playing with it.

When I first started it up, it asked for permission to use the GPS on the phone. But when you pull up the "my location" stuff, it sometimes says something like "your location within 1700 meters". So is it using the actual GPS stuff on the phone?

Also, what is the best maps software for a BB 83xx on AT&T?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Google Maps GPS question?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It takes a little bit for the GPS to locate satellites. At first its trianglating your position with the cell towers.

I would use that or BBmaps. That's the best your gonna get for free.

Thanks reddog187. I know you wrote a lot on this subject. So being on ATT, is it that you have to down load an alternate OS? I'm on ATT but I know in that thread that it looked like there were some issues when using vista which is what I'm running.

By the way, what is the advantage of BB maps over Google maps?

Fergiej no está en línea Stack level 2

I was able to download BB Maps no problem on AT&T. No need for an alternate OS. Go to mobile.blackberry.com and scroll down to maps. You have to go through a couple of screens, but you eventually get to the download button. It works perfectly well. It does have a couple of features that Google Maps does not have. Like the GPS nav area. It will show you your current location as you travel + your compass heading and speed. Both have quite good POI data when you search. I like the looks of Google maps better, but BB Maps compliments it very well. Beats spending another $20 a month when you don't need to.

AS far as GPS location goes in Google maps, I found it better to go into options>advanced options>GPS. Click bb button and select refresh GPS. It will reacquire the sats and position you. Then Google maps will have your gps location as soon as you start it.

I think the OS they were referring to was not your PC OS, but the one on the curve. Again, I found it to be not necessary to load a different one.

Hope this helps you
    Jerry

I actually just did a download directly from the site to my BB and it looks like it worked. I guess we'll see if it removes it next time I sync.

Thanks again guys.

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Quote Originally Posted by tryplecrown View Post
    Thanks reddog187. I know you wrote a lot on this subject. So being on ATT, is it that you have to down load an alternate OS? I'm on ATT but I know in that thread that it looked like there were some issues when using vista which is what I'm running.

By the way, what is the advantage of BB maps over Google maps?
    Glad to see you were able to download it, and no it wont remove it after a while, it doesn't work that way, as for the advantage of BBmaps over Google Maps - first and foremost is the Zoom-in Level as well as the "Start Navigation" feature. I have however found that BB Maps can not find my work address but (as expected) google can. Another is that with BB Maps you can search for directions via addresses from your Address book and googlemaps you can not.

And just an FYI: I found MSN's "Live Search" to be a very good app...

acrimsontide no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fergiej View Post
    I was able to download BB Maps no problem on AT&T. No need for an alternate OS. Go to mobile.blackberry.com and scroll down to maps. You have to go through a couple of screens, but you eventually get to the download button. It works perfectly well. It does have a couple of features that Google Maps does not have. Like the GPS nav area. It will show you your current location as you travel + your compass heading and speed. Both have quite good POI data when you search. I like the looks of Google maps better, but BB Maps compliments it very well. Beats spending another $20 a month when you don't need to.

AS far as GPS location goes in Google maps, I found it better to go into options>advanced options>GPS. Click bb button and select refresh GPS. It will reacquire the sats and position you. Then Google maps will have your gps location as soon as you start it.

I think the OS they were referring to was not your PC OS, but the one on the curve. Again, I found it to be not necessary to load a different one.

Hope this helps you
    Jerry
    Did you have to make any changes to your AT&T Curve or did the BB maps just download to your Curve and work without any modifications?

Fergiej no está en línea Stack level 2

No, no modifications at all. It just works fine. The at&t restriction must just be that at&t won't offer it. Who knows what they offered RIM to have that blurb on the BBM download page about not workin on at&t. Works just fine.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

check out m.live.com
    its works pretty good it gives you step by ste directions and its really easy to use i found out on several road trips it works better than most of the other softwares

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

I have had a lot of good luck with google maps, it's usually pretty quick for me. I tried bb mpas, and I just didn't like it too much.
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by acrimsontide View Post
    Did you have to make any changes to your AT&T Curve or did the BB maps just download to your Curve and work without any modifications?
    I downloaded it from the browser on my AT&T Curve and it seems to work just fine. Didn't make any changes or anything like that. I actually have both Google Maps and BB Maps.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)

Google maps is a blessing for those of us without GPS built in our BB! Now I got wi-fi, and GPS. I'm sure its not as good but its better than nothing! I never use BB maps.

nidserz no está en línea Stack level 1

I just got a 8310 from Rogers and downloaded google maps.
    I can't seem to figure out how to get GPS working with it.
    I enter 2 addresses (start and end points) but no "navigate" option.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

senormarquez no está en línea Stack level 1

google maps seems alil slow for me and not as user friendly as BB maps. i used BB maps first and got very familiar with it so when i downloaded google maps i didn't find it as fun. it can be me, but what do you guys think?
    ONE thing i did like about google map is that it showed you what traffic was looking like. other than that, i prefered BB maps for some reason

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

I seem to like m.live.com " live search" gives you movie times finds whatever you looking for in the city where your at and its easy to use too..