Is it possible to use the Pearl for geocaching? If yes, is there anything I ... BlackBerry GPS forum

jomby no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Geocaching

Advertisement

Is it possible to use the Pearl for geocaching? If yes, is there anything I need to add/download/whatever to make it possible?

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Geocaching

Well, if you have a GPS bluetooth puck for your pearl you could use it with one of the mapping apps. But I don't really think it would have the features you need for when you are in close to the cache. I don't know how accurate or detailed the direction indications are when you within 100 to 200 feet from the cache. Haven't been caching lately but a dedicated handheld GPS with Geocaching features would seem more satisfactory to me. Especially given the larger screen format.

Rcbjr.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

jomby no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

AH, rats!!!

Thanks for the info, tho.

ButtersFoo no está en línea Stack level 1

I have had my Pearl since Sept 06 & I recently jumped at the chance to be able to geocache with my phone without purchasing a new $200 gps device.

Although this solution is not "as good" as having a dedicated handheld GPS I am satisfied with the results and I just logged my 10th find. Often the Blackberry Maps software will zero-out right on top of the cache!

Here is how I geocache with a Blackberry WITHOUT purchasing Trimble or any additional GPS software:

1) My only purchase was a Holux m-1000 "GPS Puck" on ebay for around $40.
    2) I downloaded the newest version of Blackberry Maps to my phone.
    3) Go online (from your BB or from your home computer) and find the cache that you want to put into BB Maps.
    4) You'll need to view the Decimal Coordinates of the cache. Sometimes these can be found in the Other Conversions section. Note: On www.geocaching.com it is free to be a member and it is free to view the Other Conversions!
    5) Now all that's left to do is email a link to yourself that Blackberry Maps "will understand"

Your links will look like this:
    http://maps.BlackBerry.com?lat=XX.XXXX&lon=-YY.YYYYYY&z=2&label=LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Let's say that XX.XXXX is the latitude and -YY.YYYYYY is the longitude... and LLLLLLLLLLL can be whatever "Label" you want to have appear on your map

6) Look up the Latitude & Longitude in the decimal format, then cut & paste to your heart's content!

Any blackberry user with a data plan can use their phone's browser to visit the cache's website.
    OR... you could grab the Lats and Longs while on your computer, format the emails and send them off to your BB.

A few notes:
    - To anyone that is going to adopt this method, notice that I left the "-" before the YY.YYYYYY. Please be sure to NOT enter multiple "-"s.
    - You can email multiple coordiates in the same email. Just cut and paste.
    - When you click on them from your blackberry, as long as you have BB Maps installed, just click "view maps"
    - You can save these points in BB Maps to your Favorites so they can be easily pulled up the next time you go caching.

Please feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by ButtersFoo; 11-27-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Terrysr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Blackberry maps is currently not available for AT&T.

baniels no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31d2df42
    Technically, that is correct. It can be done, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrysr View Post
    Blackberry maps is currently not available for AT&T.

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3
    thats cool...so u probably can use googlemaps too instead of bbmaps, how different are the results...did u try it?

Quote Originally Posted by ButtersFoo View Post
    I have had my Pearl since Sept 06 & I recently jumped at the chance to be able to geocache with my phone without purchasing a new $200 gps device.

Although this solution is not "as good" as having a dedicated handheld GPS I am satisfied with the results and I just logged my 10th find. Often the Blackberry Maps software will zero-out right on top of the cache!

Here is how I geocache with a Blackberry WITHOUT purchasing Trimble or any additional GPS software:

1) My only purchase was a Holux m-1000 "GPS Puck" on ebay for around $40.
    2) I downloaded the newest version of Blackberry Maps to my phone.
    3) Go online (from your BB or from your home computer) and find the cache that you want to put into BB Maps.
    4) You'll need to view the Decimal Coordinates of the cache. Sometimes these can be found in the Other Conversions section. Note: On www.geocaching.com it is free to be a member and it is free to view the Other Conversions!
    5) Now all that's left to do is email a link to yourself that Blackberry Maps "will understand"

Your links will look like this:
    http://maps.BlackBerry.com?lat=XX.XXXX&lon=-YY.YYYYYY&z=2&label=LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Let's say that XX.XXXX is the latitude and -YY.YYYYYY is the longitude... and LLLLLLLLLLL can be whatever "Label" you want to have appear on your map

6) Look up the Latitude & Longitude in the decimal format, then cut & paste to your heart's content!

Any blackberry user with a data plan can use their phone's browser to visit the cache's website.
    OR... you could grab the Lats and Longs while on your computer, format the emails and send them off to your BB.

A few notes:
    - To anyone that is going to adopt this method, notice that I left the "-" before the YY.YYYYYY. Please be sure to NOT enter multiple "-"s.
    - You can email multiple coordiates in the same email. Just cut and paste.
    - When you click on them from your blackberry, as long as you have BB Maps installed, just click "view maps"
    - You can save these points in BB Maps to your Favorites so they can be easily pulled up the next time you go caching.

Please feel free to ask questions.
    hey...i tried that with a set of coordinates and tried to open it in my bb (i do have bbmaps installed)...but it opens up browser and takes me to a page where it has links about blackberry, info abt bbmaps and such...wat am i missing? i dint see the "view maps" option! thanks!

baniels no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31d2df42
    geocache navigator is the ultimate solution for this. I used it this weekend and it is amazing.

yea...i'm new to all this, so i wanted to try it before i pay for the subscription for gcn...and they dont have trial version