Has anybody tried Garmin Mobile for Blackberry yet? I just started my 3 day trial ... BlackBerry GPS forum

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3

Garmin Mobile

Advertisement

Has anybody tried Garmin Mobile for Blackberry yet? I just started my 3 day trial and I will give my opinion (for what it's worth) in about 3 days. Looks pretty cool so far, of course I'm just sitting in my house right now but I will be on the road soon. I travel every day so I'll put it to the test.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Garmin Mobile

I looked at it and was tempted to get it but I decided to go with a G-Sat 359 and Google Maps - it works pretty well. I've used Garmin's Street Pilot and like it but I saw some good comments re: the G-Sat and decided to try it.

I'll be interested to get your review.
    jblackfish

kermtfrg no está en línea Stack level 1

I did the same thing with the Garmin but wasn't impressed. I had Telenav for 3 months and loved it - I only cancelled cause I had issues with the voice. When she meant left, we'd hear right.

Garmin isn't anywhere near as good as Telenav. The navigation from Telenav was fantastic.

I just downloaded Mapquest...see if that is any better otherwise might be stuck with Telenav.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Kermtfrg, With an 8100 (no GPS) I'm limited to a GPS puck and no voice. I can't keep up which phones HAVE GPS but yours does so you get the voice too, right? ...don't know about the 8300 - don't think it has GPS.(?)
    Good luck,
    jb

UPDATE:

I looked up Telenav and, for a T-Mobile 8100, the device it uses IS the BT-359 so.... I think that I could subscribe to Telenav since I have the thing if I wanted to try it. Right now, coupling it with Google maps is fine with me. I'm going to try a wi-fi BB in the future instead of keep trying to improve GPS - I only use GPS once in a while. Live and learn....
    Last edited by jblackfish; 01-08-2008 at 02:40 PM.

mike mikeŠ no está en línea Stack level 2

I Got The Garmin Mobile 10 X .. And It Works Great ... And The Unit Is Real Small And Comes With A Belt Clip ... But U Have To Buy A Year Suscription For It To Work On Blackberries .. Cuz The Maps U Load To Ya Memory Card Dont Work For Bb .. Only Windows Mobile And Palm Os ....
    U Gota Pay 99 For Bb ..but U Git Live Traffic Updates ..and Free Updates To Maps .. Weather And All That ... Its Real Official I Love It

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3

2 days in to the 3 day trial.
    Blackberry 8300/G-Sat puck/at&t edge
    I downloaded the Garmin software to my computer and used Desktop Manager to load the application. The files were called gmhnobb8310.alx and gmhnobb8310.cod so I was wondering if this would really work with my 8300 and puck. Desktop Manager loaded it properly without any errors. I ran the application and it recognized my GPS puck and away we went. The GUI was equivalent to Mapquest Mobile, kind of 2D and flat. The information it gives you on the map screen is sufficient and the voice was almost perfect. You also can get the current weather conditions and forecast for your current position on the main menu. Garmin gives you 2 choices of routes, fastest and shortest and it has traffic reports available from the main menu that seems to be up to date. The interface will let you set 3 color modes, Auto, Nightime, and Daytime. When in Auto it will change according to the time of day. Garmin supports metric and imperial units of measurements. There is an option in the settings for "Avoidances: Enable/Disable", but I'm not sure if or how that works. Garmin gives you the option to optimize the route for Car/Motorcycle, Pedestrian, Bicycle, Truck, Bus, Emergency and Taxi. Garmin gives you the option to view your route in 3D, Track Up (2D) or North Up (2D) and not to mention you can also set the audio volume from the main menu. The 3D route looks like a 3 year old with a box crayons was told to have fun one day. Ok, maybe is wasn't that bad but it was a bit "primitive". The application gives you the option to save your favorites on the Garmin web site so that's kind of cool (I believe that's one thing Mapquest doesn't do and Telenav does). It has a list of categories you can search under like Food, Hotel, Recent Finds, Cities, Intersections, and Airports. The program runs fairly smooth and seems to keep up with your movement quick enough and it hasn't locked up at all, yet. Garmin does not have the ability to send audio to my bluetooth headset that I've been able to figure out. All in all I would say it's competes equally with Mapquest Mobile. At this point, in my opinion, since Telenav, Mapquest and Garmin are the same price now I feel the best value for my dollar is still Telenav but Garmin is surely worth the 3 day trial.

vaz4husluz no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile reply to use of garmin vs. at&t navigator (telenav)

Using Garmin for blackberries is a one time feed for until the life of the device with free upgrades for $99.99. The AT&T Navigator (formally called TELENAV) is a monthly charge of $9.99 for AT&T users vs. one time charge from GARMIN. I used AT&T Navigator for a long time and it is very efficient and detailed, you can even link it to your bluetooth headset and you can voice type the location you want to go to rather than typing it in for safety. I believe you dont have the option to voice type the entry as well as use your bluetooth headset, but you can use phone and GPS for GARMIN at the same time while you can't do that with AT&T Navigator. Check out this link and it will tell you te details regarding using for the blackberries (garmin) , since it wont let me post a link, goto GOOGLE and type in 'using garmin for blackberry bold' and click on the 4th link from 'everythingblackberry' website, it gives you the details on using garmin on blackberry