I am considering the 8800 as my first Blackberry because of the built in GPS. ... BlackBerry GPS forum

toranyc no está en línea Awaiting email verification

Does 8800 GPS lag?

Advertisement

I am considering the 8800 as my first Blackberry because of the built in GPS. But a friend warned me about complaints of the GPS directions lagging behind. Can anyone who has actually used it verify or comment on that? Thanks.

sickened no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    dont ask

Re: Does 8800 GPS lag?

It doesnt lag at all. Got my phone last week and I am loving it.

IndoorGK00 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have a 8800 and the only time things may lag is its initial detection of the satellites. Once it has good satellite input it works great with all the gps apps. It comes with a 30 day trial of telenav and then you can see what a true gps apps can do. Also BlackBerry maps and Google Mobile Maps do some nice things with gps for free. Also I found a link to MapQuest navigator.

http://mqnav.telmap.com/mqota/client.../8703e/mqn.jad

It is technically supposed to be for Sprint 8703 users only but it works great on my at&t 8800 and the 30 day trial has yet to end and I have been using it for months. It is free an gives turn by turn navigation.

Good luck!

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

I got it when first released up here in Ontario, and been using the GPS with no indications of lag as you were advised. I have tested it in busy Toronto traffic with tall high-rises and still no signs of lag. So, I dont really know what your friend meant by "lag".
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

I've played with the 8800 and hadn't seen any lags the couple of days that I played with one. But haven't seen any lags. Maybe if there are a lot of applications open in the background that could cause a lag in the program. Or if there's a bad connection. But so far so good. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    I've played with the 8800 and hadn't seen any lags the couple of days that I played with one. But haven't seen any lags. Maybe if there are a lot of applications open in the background that could cause a lag in the program. Or if there's a bad connection. But so far so good. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

harishv79 no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I do see.a lag when using with google maps esp when I badly need the correct directions. I have to exit the program and open it up again to refresh the location (which I guess is not a gps lag but in gmaps!).

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by toranyc
    I am considering the 8800 as my first Blackberry because of the built in GPS. But a friend warned me about complaints of the GPS directions lagging behind. Can anyone who has actually used it verify or comment on that? Thanks.
    Has your friend actually used GPS on an 8800 or is this hearsay? I've had absolutely no problems with Telenav and I've used it quite a bit since getting my 8800. Why not give the free trial a shot and see for yourself?

toranyc no está en línea Awaiting email verification

Thanks for the many great replies. They are very helpful and appreciated. I will give 8800 a try!