I have the 8130 with Alltel and am considering trying the Telenav service. I have ... BlackBerry GPS forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Considering Telenav, I have questions and want opinions

Advertisement

I have the 8130 with Alltel and am considering trying the Telenav service. I have a few questions and also am wondering if anyone that has used it with the Alltel 8130 and has any opinions or recommendations about the service.

Currently, I can use the Blackberry Maps to find my location, do local searches, get directions, etc. and it works ok but I would like the voice directions, that is my biggest reason for wanting to try it. But here are my questions:

1. Does the Telenav program have an option to leave the backlight on? I have tried google maps and other free mapping programs, but the backlight goes off and I constantly have to reach for the phone and hit a button to see my map again. With Blackberry maps I can set it to leave the backlight on, I would want the same for Telenav.

2. How fast does it find your location and does it require you to find your location with Blackberry maps first? The reason I ask this is becasue with google maps and msn live search,the only way I could ever get those applications to find me was to first go to Blackberry maps, open it, start GPS tracking and once it found me, switch to the other application. I would have to leave BB maps running in the background. If I closed BB maps, then google maps would say my location was not available, if I left it running in the backlground, google maps would find me instantly, but I hated running two mapping programs at once so deleted google maps and msn live search.

3. How accurate are the maps and directions? I had directions from BB maps tell me the other day to take a right when getting off the highway and go to the next light and do a u-turn instead of just telling me to take a left off the exit. This made no sense! Also I've heard past stories of Telenav telling people to exit the highway and get right back on again instead of staying on the highway in the first place. I will be taking a few trips this summer to California, Connecticut, and New York and don't want to be sent on wild goose chases.

I would appreciate any feedback, positive and negative, and any tips that enabled it to work more efficiently.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Im also with Alltel. I have Telenav on my 8830 and I use it all the time traveling. Yes it does have the option to leave the backlight on. Also it has the option to come on only when a turn is approaching. But I usually keep it plugged on long trips cause as do all gps programs, it drains the battery. For your second question it pretty much finds your location quickly, within 10 seconds. It uses its own source instead of going through bb maps. The newest version (5.1) includes traffic updates, so if there is an accident maybe say 7 miles away, it will detect it and ask do you want to use an alternate route or keep on the current one. Its very useful especially going through Atlanta and other big cities. For your third question its pretty accurate for me, I haven't had any problems for the two years I've had it. I've also heard the stories about the get off get on offramp directions but I haven't came across it yet. Overall I love this program, very helpful in finding maps, points of interest, nearest gas stations,and many more. Enjoy!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! All positive, that's good.......

Anyone else have an opinion?
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4