Question: Has anyone had any bad experiences with the cheaper GPS receivers? Should I spend ... BlackBerry GPS forum

jimdab no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile Cheap Bluetooth GPS Receivers?

Advertisement

Question: Has anyone had any bad experiences with the cheaper GPS receivers? Should I spend $100 on one or just get a cheap one for $50?

Comment: I love this Blackberry 8300 and the fact that it allows for a GPS receiver makes this a "MUST BUY" item. I mean GPS Enabled Google Maps is FREE, people, take advantage! I just got my 4 GB Micro SDHC card ($55) and BSE skin ($7) for my new 8300 (-$75). Once I get a GPS puck and maybe a new bluetooth headset, I'll be all set.

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Cheap Bluetooth GPS Receivers?

I'm wondering the same thing, I have Navi in my car but I would love having something small and portable when, say, if a friend is driving. Are the $100+ worth it?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~there is a holux model 236 or 240 (off the top of my head I can't remember which of the 2 is smaller). I have read good reviews on here from other BB users about them. Last time I looked on amazon you could get one around $60-70. Ebay prices were about the same once you factored in shipping.

PSYC0TIC ONE no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~there is a holux model 236 or 240 (off the top of my head I can't remember which of the 2 is smaller). I have read good reviews on here from other BB users about them. Last time I looked on amazon you could get one around $60-70. Ebay prices were about the same once you factored in shipping.
    I just ordered a Holux GPS Slim 240 from Amazon.com for $75 + Expedited Shipping... Total was like $83... I've read great reviews about this item on blackberryforums.com and here... I'll start a new "review" thread when I receive it... hopefully by friday...

data1025 no está en línea Stack level 3

i have had the holux gpslim 240 for about a year and it works just great. fast satellite location from cold start.

rknobbe no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    I would avoid the Holux GPS Slim 236. The bluetooth section on mine died after about 6 months. This is not an uncommon problem with this model. You can read more at the gpspassion dot com forum, under "GPS Receivers for PDAs and PCs". Sorry, can't post the link.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

I have a cheap one from geeks.com. Like 40 dollars or something with shipping and it works great!

wasafiri no está en línea Stack level 1

i have a holux m-1000 and it works pretty well. doesn't really do well in the middle of the city where there are tall buildings all around, but it works perfectly otherwise. i think this is a general gps limitation.

xxchixorxx no está en línea Stack level 3

Is this the type of thing that's being talked about?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=UT-41&cpc=SCH

*~Sheila~*
    243A0D29

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by xxchixorxx
    Is this the type of thing that's being talked about?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=UT-41&cpc=SCH
    Close. I don't think that one is bluetooth. Looks to be just USB. That would be the main difference.

xxchixorxx no está en línea Stack level 3

That is pretty cool though considering that my neighbor paid $250 on ebay for a used Garmin...and we can do the same thing on the Blackberry for a few bucks and free software? Might have to look into this more! :-)

*~Sheila~*
    243A0D29

geeks.com had a bt-5 bluetooth receiver for about $39.99 but it is now sold out. there is a link on another thread. but once again it's sold out so who cares.

The bluetooth receiver I've been reading a lot of hype about lately is the globalsat bt-359. here's a review of it

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/global...gps-review.php

jetspeedz no está en línea Stack level 1

if you can wait about 1-2 months the 8310 will be released with GPS for ATT

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

I don't think the 83xx series has GPS, you would have to wait for the 8830 from AT&T.