Hi guys, Im planning to buy a Bluetooth GPS Receiver and i'm kinda getting anal ... BlackBerry GPS forum

xpsych07x no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EB3735

Bluetooth GPS Device Comparison

Advertisement

Hi guys, Im planning to buy a Bluetooth GPS Receiver and i'm kinda getting anal about which one to pick...

The BT-359 Model or the Solar Model.

+ The BT-359 works great and also compatible with TeleNav IF i subcribed to them ($10/month) [www.telenav.com]

+ The Solar GPS cannot be use with Telenav, but the good thing is.. it charges itself; so i dont have to fumble and worry about the battery life.

If anyone have any comments about which one to get. PLEASE ADVISE ME. Thanks verrrry much!

-xpsych07x

silverxj no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Bluetooth GPS Device Comparison

I have the BT-359 and use the telenav service.
    It has worked great, actually alot better than I thought it would.
    The maps are very up to date and are constantly updated.
    It is very quick at telling you where to turn, and very accurate down to feet.
    It is very quick at rerouting you if you miss a turn.
    The GPS receiver usually gets a signal even if I have it in the center console or my pocket.
    I would highly reccommend it for anyone looking to add gps to their phone.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

~John

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Quote Originally Posted by silverxj
    I have the BT-359 and use the telenav service.
    It has worked great, actually alot better than I thought it would.
    The maps are very up to date and are constantly updated.
    It is very quick at telling you where to turn, and very accurate down to feet.
    It is very quick at rerouting you if you miss a turn.
    The GPS receiver usually gets a signal even if I have it in the center console or my pocket.
    I would highly reccommend it for anyone looking to add gps to their phone.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

~John
    I was wondering what exactly would I need in addition for BT-359 to have my GPS tracking system and the maps/roads to work preperly. Data plan? Any maps software? Any other BT little things?

P.S. and the 359 does work via Bluetooth right?

Thanks in advance

mbarlow no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E81EC0

I've got the OnCourse second edition bluetooth reciver. Works flawlessly, looks like the Pearl (much smaller), and uses the same charger as the Pearl. Check out BuyGPSnow.com . I would stay with proven devices to avoid the return hassles. I do like the idea of a solar powered puck though.
    There are several threads about this on the boards.

For the BT-359 to work as I described, you will need to subscribe to the telenav service and you will also want a data plan because it uses data to get the maps.
    With telenav you do install telenav software on the phone, but it does not take up much space because it connects to their server to collect map info, thats why you want a data plan.

Yes the 359 is bluetooth, so no wires.

~John

Something else I forgot to mention about the BT-359 is it is the only gps receiver that cingular "supports" so if you have any issues it wont be a problem.
    I am not sure about other providers though.

~John

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0

Quote Originally Posted by mbarlow
    I've got the OnCourse second edition bluetooth reciver. Works flawlessly, looks like the Pearl (much smaller), and uses the same charger as the Pearl. Check out BuyGPSnow.com . I would stay with proven devices to avoid the return hassles. I do like the idea of a solar powered puck though.
    There are several threads about this on the boards.
    Does the OnCourse receiver require any sort of additional service to work with the pearl like the BT-359 Telenav situation? Do you always need a GPS service provider for GPS?

I am not sure if you need service for oncourse or not. But not all receivers require service.
    For example, even the BT-359 will work without the telenav service, like using it on bbmaps.
    But what I like about the telenav is the voice guided turn by turn directions, you never have to look at the phone, it tells you where to turn, and the maps are contantly updated. It also has things like restaurant locaters, you can find gas by price, and much much more. To me this is well worth the 10 bux a month for unlimited directions for the telenav service.

But if your looking to save a few bucks a month, I am pretty sure you could use any gps receiver and use it with bbmaps or similar, you just dont get all the cool features of a pay service.

~John

PIN/ID
    23EB3735

hey silver.. how much did u buy ur BT-359 for and where?

thanks.

I bought it at a cingular store for 100 bux.
    Pretty good deal if you ask me.
    When I purchased it I had them add the telenav service to my account, so its all on one bill.

~John

mbarlow no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E81EC0

Astroboy, the OnCourse is just a bluetooth enabled GPS receiver. The GPS signal is always there, broadcast by satellites in a geo-sync orbit. Nav software uses their signal to plot your location on a map.

Telenav is great from what I've read about it on this board and I use other similar software (just not on a subscription basis) on another device. I expect it updates to reflect construction a real advanatge over a static nav package. The BBmaps software is free, came with your Pearl so it works elegantly, and might be a great "test drive" to see if you'll even use nav features. You just pair the devices and wherever you go, there you are (right on the center of your screen). I think it is extremely handy, but I don't use it every day.

If you buy a GPS receiver (like BT-359 or Oncourse both around $100) you may use it with other bluetooth devices for work & pleasure (golf, boating). If you find quickly grow tired of finding different ways to get to work and you don't use it much, you can sell it no problem. Hope this helps.

bryandenson no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E96935

I have both BT-359 and Telenav and it works great. No problems at all

PIN/ID
    23EB3735

My service provider is T-Mobile. I have purchased a BT-359 on ebay. Im going to subscribe to Telenav soon, but how do i get telenav nav software?

thanks.
    -xpsych07x