I have a CDMA BlackBerry 8830 with US Cellular. The GPS was working great for ... BlackBerry GPS forum

jrusch no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31ADDE19

BlackBerry requires A-GPS?

Advertisement

I have a CDMA BlackBerry 8830 with US Cellular. The GPS was working great for the first few months I had it. Now it barely works - I have to retry numerous times, or it doesn't work at all, or after a long delay it will find satellites and then lose them again.

I did some research and discovered that for the first few months I had the 8830, US Cellular was allowing it to connect to a 3rd party A-GPS server. (An A-GPS server does more than use cell tower information, it has its own GPS receiver and transmits GPS data back to the device). US Cellular couldn't figure out a way to bill me for the use of the server so they told it to deny access.

It seems as though the GPS chipset in the CDMA BlackBerryies is underpowered (don't know about the GSM version) and needs the assistance of an A-GPS server.

So the question is, how do I configure an A-GPS server?

I installed Telenav and now all my GPS applications work. So I'm guessing that installing Telenav reconfigured my 8830 to use a different A-GPS server. I uninstalled Telenav, but didn't cancel my account, and my 8830 is still using an A-GPS server.

Or is it? How can I tell? Is it a service book? A configuration setting? Or what?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    I know nothing about how us cell configures their networks. If they haven't blocked the gpsr (like verizon does) then the gpsr in your phone doesn't use the cell tower at all. Its communicating with the gps system directly. No idea what an a-gps server is. My 8310 and my garmin handheld unit do not connect to any servers that I'm aware of. The gpsr chipsets are designed to pick up the gps sattelite data directly.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    31ADDE19
    US Cellular has not blocked the gpsr. The gpsr does not NEED to use the cell tower. It does not NEED to use a-gps. But if it doesn't, it can take up to 45 minutes to find satellites, or it requires multiple retries, or it looses satellites shortly after finding them, etc.

Your 8310 is GSM. GSM BlackBerries use a diffrent gpsr than CDMA ones. The CDMA ones use a chipset from Qualcomm.

candrews no está en línea Stack level 1
    have you looked into bluetooth gps solutions
    ?

PIN/ID
    31ADDE19
    Yes, I have considered a bluetooth GPS solution. But before I go and spend the money, I thought I would research this option. I found a website that says the offer access to their a-gps server for free (http://www.u-blox.com/services/index.html) but I haven't heard back from them yet. And when I do, I don't know how I can program my 8830 to use their service.

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    You really should consider just going with an all inclusive quality bluetooth GPS receiver. SiRFstar III chipset, one of the best for the consumer market last I remember, and what I use, can do a cold lock on your position anywhere in the world in about 30-60 seconds, It can hot lock your location in about 10-15 seconds, and is accurate within around 50 feet. It is much more sensitive and can maintain a lock in clouds/bad weather/forrests/mountains, and can relock during outages very quickly. Plus, being completely cell-tower independent, has no worries of losing signal quality based on your location. You can drive your way to the middle of nowhere and always have a precise location.