Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I installed BB Maps on my 8300 and attempted to use an external GPS. When ... BlackBerry GPS forum

spiderwv no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249E1D64

Blackberry maps GPS on AT&T Curve

Advertisement

I installed BB Maps on my 8300 and attempted to use an external GPS. When I Start GPS, I get the following error message:

Uncaught exception: Cannot access GPS: This application requires authorization from your wireless provider to access GPS functionality.

Google Maps works fine, however, I prefer BB Maps. Anyone have any clue how to get around this or why I am getting this message?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Blackberry maps GPS on AT&T Curve

so you can pair the puck with the 8300 no problem? and when you go to activate GPS within the bbmaps application you get that error?

PIN/ID
    249E1D64

Correct... Google Maps works correctly, I just get the error message when I try to start GPS on BB Maps.

PIN/ID
    249E1D64

Oh yeah, my wireless provider is AT&T.

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3

at&t will block Blackberry Maps with the latest OS version differently than it had blocked it before, that's why I loaded a different OS from a thread here. 8300CJK_PBr4.2.2_rel338_PL2.5.0.40_A4.2.2.184_Sing Tel
    It works great, in fact it's rebooting 30% faster and, of course, allows you run BB Maps with GPS. At&t wants you to use Telenav exclusively. Sucks don't it.

PIN/ID
    249E1D64

You are using that OS with AT&T?

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

It works fine w/ AT&T. Check out this thread for more info.

PIN/ID
    249E1D64

Thanks all! I've got it working now. I actually tried something I shouldn't have and had to do a wipe. Prior to installing the latest OS from SingTel, I deleted the vendor.xml file. I am now able to use GPS with BBMaps.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Just for future reference, the latest at&t OS blocks more than BB Maps, it blocks several GPS applications.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Yes, AT&T and VZW want you to use GPS thru their proprietary systems. Lets hope AT&T doesn't figure out VZW's trick that keeps the GPS disabled no matter which OS you run.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    249E1D64

A new problem has cropped up... now, if I install any programs or update any programs with the App Loader, I get a message saying "Unrecognized modules that will be removed: net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon" If I complete the install or update, the icon for BBMaps is removed and the ONLY way to get it back is to download BBMaps OTA... if I try to install via desktop, the program is install, but no icon.

e1nstein no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    300D945C

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Google BBmaps and ATT. Last week I found a document that explains how to modify one of the OS's files to release the lock on BBMap. With this you don't have to re-install another OS. If I find the link I'll post it

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

There is info on how to do it in this thread. Here are the relevant posts for your convenience. FYI, instead of of renaming the 102 to something else, you can also just remove it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
    Blackberry maps can be installed on the AT&T branded curve. Download the latest OS from the AT&T website, install it on your PC, navigate to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files. In that folder you'll see a folder for each OS you have installed. open the folder for the latest 8300 OS, find a file called LBS.alx. Open it in word pad. Search for each place where the number "102" appears and change it to 100 or anything other than 102. Save the file. Run the application loader and select to install maps. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdys View Post
    I found this in the lbs.alx - So bbmaps is disabled for AT&T curve users. I just changed all the 102's to 100's. Thanx Spamdumpster, I got it working!

</fileset>
    <!-- For 8800 series, hide the icon for AT&T (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties, including Amena (Orange Spain - 175). -->
    <!-- For non-8800 series, show the icon for all carriers except AT&T (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties, including Amena (Orange Spain - 175). -->
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~102|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217|17 5" series="~8800">
    <files>

PIN/ID
    249E1D64

I thought I had done this once, however, when I checked the file again, apparently I hadn't.

In order to keep Desktop Manager from giving that message about "Unrecognized modules that will be removed: net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon" edit your Blackberry.alx file, look for something that starts like this:

<fileset radio="GPRS|UMTS" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_os.cod
    net_rim_smartcard.cod
    net_rim_event_log_viewer_app.cod
    This just add this line somewhere in the list:
    net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod

Now Desktop Manager will not want to delete it. I'm not even sure if this is the appropriate place to put that line but it works. I experimented with it in a few places and this one works like a charm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast