Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Does anyone know if Mapquest actually calculates the routes based on traffic conditions? Today I ... BlackBerry GPS forum

tboooe no está en línea Stack level 3

Traffic optimization???

Advertisement

Does anyone know if Mapquest actually calculates the routes based on traffic conditions? Today I was headed north on the freeway and saw a very big accident on the southbound side that had traffic backed up for about 3 miles. About 15 minutes later I had to travel back south the freeway. Both Mapquest and Google Maps, identified the area as stop and go. However, Mapquest still had me taking the freeway through the accident. I am pretty familiar with the area so I know there are several alternative routes to take to avoid the accident and get on the freeway past it. The strange thing is that Mapquest says my route has been optimized for traffic. Optimized to take me right into traffic???

Anyway, this is one aspect of Mapquest that is really bad. I hope they can come up with better route planning to avoid traffic.

SDinSD no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: Best GPS - Mapquest Navigator

I just got on the 4.99 deal yesterday. I'm wondering if there is a way to put your current speed and your current direction on the main screen? I don't want to have to click and go to the GPS settings to find this information. Anyone know if this is possible?

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Can I download this ota? I can't seem to get to the provided page.

Quote Originally Posted by SDinSD View Post
    I just got on the 4.99 deal yesterday. I'm wondering if there is a way to put your current speed and your current direction on the main screen? I don't want to have to click and go to the GPS settings to find this information. Anyone know if this is possible?
    There is a view that shows direction, distance to destination, ETA but not speed. This is the view I use most. I believe its called the Directions view (5 on your keypad).

PIN/ID

That view just shows a picture of an arrow of your next turn right? (sorry I'm in my office and can't get a lock on sattelites). I'd like to see the direction I'm going (N, NE, W, etc.) and speed (if possible) when looking at the 3D map.

takadante no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24B2C963

Ota links don't work with my 8310

That view just shows a picture of an arrow of your next turn right? (sorry I'm in my office and can't get a lock on sattelites). I'd like to see the direction I'm going (N, NE, W, etc.) and speed (if possible) when looking at the 3D map.
    Yes you are correct. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a way to show the info you want on the 3d map. I agree with you by the way that all the basic information should be available on all views. I would think the following basic info should always be shown or least have the option of being displayed:
    • Direction
    • Distance to destination
    • Time to destination or estimated time (clock time) of arrival
    • Avg speed
    When I was using the 3d map for a long 6 hour drive I found myself constantly switching back and forth to the GPS view in order to get this info. Definitely not safe or convenient.

PIN/ID

Agreed with all of the above. Hopefully they will make this information available in an update that won't make the $4.99 subscribers have to pay $9.99 to get.

Thanks for the info/suggestions.

jorgeg.ledes no está en línea Developer

Well I signed up again leaving Telenav but as others have mentioned Mapquest does not always give you the best route and like they mentioned it takes a little bit to recalculate, c'mon Mapquest eventhough its $4.99 it still $60 dollars a year, this version seems like a BETA when you see your address book and select look up the contact it does not have this option as Telenav but I guess this version of Mapquest is a work in progress, since we are all paying members a fair question to the folks at Mapquest is if they are planning to update v.5 anytime soon ?

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

so wait....i'm a little confused here. i can get version 5.x for 4.99 a month, but if version 6 comes out it gets bumped to 9.99? and how is not offering a trial period a good thing? because you offer it half price (which was very nice btw)? i'm certainly not going to pay to try software that i may or may not keep. especially when it's a gps software are there are so many options out there. how am i to know that this app is better than the others if i can't try it? even telenav offers a free 30 trial.

i'm also a little concerned about the comments about it sending you the wrong way. this has always been my major complaint with mapquest in general, and part of the reason i stopped using it and switched to google maps on my pc. a few people that still use mapquest had told me that the issues with wrong or longer directions had been fixed so i was willing to give it a try, but it seems that the same issue is back again with the mobile version. not very encouraging.

had there been a trial period availible i probably would try this app, but not with the issues listed here, requirement to pay, and a major problem (i consider being sent a very long or incorrect way a major problem). i have no ssue paying for an app if it gives me all the things i want (traffic updates is by far the most important, other than of course accurate directions), but i'm certainly not going spend money to simply try software.

PIN/ID

No one has said yet if and when they will bump the 4.99 subscribers to 9.99, just that when they make major changes to the app they will (which probably means v6).

I haven't experienced any time where it has sent me the wrong way. It has sent me a different way then I normally go from home to work and vice versa but it re-routes pretty well when I don't take the suggested directions. TomTom Navigator does this also so no big deal to me.

Traffic updates work pretty well but I haven't been in gridiron traffic so it hasn't had to suggest different routes because of traffic yet. I'll see how that goes once it happens.

Overall for me its a good app but I wish they would include a few things on the main screen.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i went to the link and couldn't figure out how to download it for my pearl! Help plz!

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by rogernmonica View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i went to the link and couldn't figure out how to download it for my pearl! Help plz!
    Go to http://mapquestdtc.telmap.com/ota and select your model.

PIN/ID

Last edited by SDinSD; 12-05-2007 at 02:38 PM.

MapQuestNav no está en línea Stack level 1

No one has said yet if and when they will bump the 4.99 subscribers to 9.99, just that when they make major changes to the app they will (which probably means v6).

Hi All -

We (MapQuest) just had an internal meeting about the confusion regarding the Limited Time $4.99 offer. Based on the feedback given on this site and others, we decided that subscribers that download the application during this promotional period will be 'grandfathered' for all subsequent versions of the application, regardless of new features and price. That means that as long as you remain an active subscriber, you will continue to pay only $4.99 per month for MapQuest Navigator Versions x.x. If you update your handset and wish to transfer the subscription to the new device, just enter your activation code into the new download on the new device and you'll still only pay the $4.99. In other words, the $4.99 deal is now truly extended to the lifetime of the subscription.

I think this makes the offer crystal clear, and hopefully provides users with a compelling reason to download the application. So please disregard what I posted earlier about grandfathered subscriptions. Please be aware that this offer will go away at the end of the month - there are no plans to extend it.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast