Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Well reading these posts got me all worked up and I downloaded 5.0 and signed ... BlackBerry GPS forum

galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Best GPS - Mapquest Navigator

Advertisement

Well reading these posts got me all worked up and I downloaded 5.0 and signed up. I don't even have a puck yet, and MN gives no directions without one by the way.[EDIT: Of course it gives directions without a puck. I am just software challenged. See following post.] The interface is clean, bright, pretty and simple.

The website was well done too. Pick your phone, pick your carrier. It is nice to see the 8320 listed. Then they try to sell you a puck as well but I am going to get the Holux GPSlim 240 Wireless GPS Receiver (SiRF III) (Bonus Carrying Case) from Amazon. I learned of it here so thanks for this forum. It is so tiny!

Changing the volume gives you a sample of the female voice when she says, "Follow the road until further instructions." I wouldn't ask her out. Now my friend Svenja has the sweetest, softest, most feminine voice ever and once did recordings for a German telephone company announcing the time. I wish they would have found her. Oh and her accent!

I am a new BB Curve owner and am having a great time becoming familiar with it. Well mostly. I returned it today for another one because BB maps had a java error when searching for directions from the address book. My new one has the same error. It is "Uncaught exception: java.ang.Nullpointer Exception". I searched alot and it seems to be an application or OS problem. I downloaded and installed BB maps over the air many times with no success. Same error. I use a Mac and I guess I will have to get a cheap OEM copy of Windows eventually to install future OS upgrades (like video!)

I just took a new job that requires I drive a very large vehicle all over Southern CA in the middle of the night going to places I have never been before. So I have been looking at gps and mapping options for my new curve and also considered Garmin units.

MN seems to fit the bill, but even though I haven't used it with a puck yet I am slightly disappointed in the address book search. It only allows you to search for the first or last name of a contact. If your contacts are businesses it doesn't find them, that is if you have the name in the "company" field on your BB. The workaround was to cut and paste the name into the "last name" field as well. I hope they fix this in the future. I tried changing the BB options to sort by company but that didn't help.

Another strange thing is that when I searched using the address book, and selected the entry, MN did it's "resolving the address" thing and returned 6 different addresses, all with the same street number but different street names asking me to select one by asking, "Did you mean...?" Just a matter of scrolling and clicking the correct one (IF you know the address by heart), but since I entered it from my address book why all the additional choices? They were all in the same zip code. After that it makes you click yet again, merely to choose between walking and driving directions. I wish they would hide that one away in the options somewhere. I mean I am behind the wheel of a very large car here. Johnny Appleseed I aint.

But I can now use the address book to search instead of manually entering the address if I have been to the location before. Blackberry's are very cool, I can now sit on my sofa and make and receive calls thanks to T-Mo's hotspot@home, and soon I will have a voice directed gps navigation system too.
    Thanks again for the forum. There is a slight learning Curve, he he.
    Last edited by galavanter; 11-24-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Living no está en línea Stack level 1

[quote=galavanter;511209]Well reading these posts got me all worked up and I downloaded 5.0 and signed up. I don't even have a puck yet, and MN gives no directions without one by the way. The interface is clean, bright, pretty and simple.

You can use MN without a puck. Just click on "Where AM I" and you will have to manually enter your starting point.

IMO Mapquest Naviagator is a nice application.

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3

I wonder why they call it verison 5.0 but when it downloaded it said version 4.03.36?

Yeah well Living I don't give a puck. I mean sorry about that. That stern female voice had me intimidated. Anyway my puck is being processed this very minute.

oldgeek your answer is at the bottom of the about window. They are, after all, ®Nuance Communications, Inc. ™. I mean really, would you buy a Mustang 4.03.36 convertible?
    Last edited by galavanter; 11-24-2007 at 03:50 PM.

oldgeek no está en línea Stack level 3

Hmmm,
    I'm a little perplexed. I signed up for Mapquest Navigator at the special $4.99 price and while everything went well I noticed 2 charges to my credit card from them. One charge was $4.99 and another one was for $1.00. I emailed them to ask what that additional charge was for and I have yet to get a reply. This doesn't make me feel too secure, has anybody else seen this or had any support problems?

Sjjones no está en línea Stack level 1

From what I understand MN is having issues with sprint BES 8830 users, anyone else?

They haven't charged my card yet but the $1.00 is probably a "memo". Some places run a $1.00 authorization to see if all is well with the card. It should disappear in a few days, your money "given back" to you. Apple does it with some of their accounts. iTunes or .mac, I forget which.

I got my puck and last night tried out MN on a 125 mile run to the Bakersfield, CA vicinity. It got me right to the gate of my destination in the middle of nowhere, but ran me an extra exit north up the I-5, then west, then south again through 3 15mph posted hairpin turns. 6 extra miles compared to the way I came back (the way Google maps would have sent me), and the way anyone who could read a map would have gone. I have "fastest route" checked in the options but this was most certainly not. Bad routing is all I can say.

Back in L.A. she had me exit at Bandini (exit is actually marked Bandini/Atlantic) off the 710 (she pronounced Bandini rather well. I like that exit because it reminds me of Arturo Bandini), but then not a word about taking Atlantic which splits quickly off Bandini. If I didn't know the way back to work I would have been lost, in a tanker truck. She wasn't routing me via Bandini because her directions continued via Atlantic without recalculating. At my destination, she said "on the left". Nothing but concrete walls bordering the L.A. river on the left. My outfit is on the right.

The little Holux 240 GPSlim puck (smaller than a bic lighter) worked great for between 6 and 7 hours on a charge, but did not make the 8 advertised on this trip (usb/car charger included). It has 3 little well designed icon lights for charging, bluetooth, and satellite that are invisible until on and are not distracting when it is stuck to your dash with a tiny circle of duct tape. I think two out of three blink. The sliding on/off switch, the only moving part, is too loose and could possibly turn on in your pocket (or the neat little soft included case) I believe.

I could hear her well enough in my noisy truck, and was actually very impressed as this was the first time I ever witnessed a gps unit in use.When I deviated off course to take truck bypass lanes she made no fuss, but when I made a 90 degree right turn coming home to take the shorter way(shaving off 6 miles and taking me directly to the I-5 south) she quickly recalculated the route. She did sound a bit embarrassed.

All the info was quite timely for me doing 55 to 60 mph. Nightmode is very cool and much easier on the eyes. I could keep the Curve in my shirt pocket as well (an advantage of nonintegrated gps I believe). I set the Curves brightness all the way down to 10% and it still didn't seem dim. We'll see how she does tonight to San Diego. I think she digs me, but now my blowup doll is jealous. Just kidding!
    Last edited by galavanter; 11-28-2007 at 01:42 PM.

MapQuestNav no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by pcwizpcwiz View Post
    Looks like they just announced more supported devices and unlike Telenav it officially supports my T-Mobile BB 8320. It is now $5/month it says 12/31/2007 Don't know if that means if you buy before 12/31/2007 it will always be $5 or after 12/31/07 it will go to $10/month.

Hello all - As a MapQuest Wireless employee, I'd like to clear up the pricing confusion on MapQuest Navigator.

The promotional pricing of "$4.99 per month" means that if you buy the MapQuest Navigator 5.0 application on the MapQuest.com site between now and December 31st, 2007, you will only pay the $4.99 per month as long as you remain an active subscriber from that original download- you won't get 'switched' to $9.99 / month in January. The $4.99 price only expires if the promotional subscription is cancelled or uninstalled, or if you wish to download subsequent Navigator versions. So if you download the app in December and cancel in February, a new download in May would be subject to whatever the pricing is at that time.

We felt that this was a more compelling offer than a free trial, as you'll pay half of what you would with our competitors, for as long as you keep the app.

Keep in mind that the price is only for version 5.0, not for our older versions; and it's only good on the devices we have at this time - but we will have new devices coming before the end of the year.

Josh Parker
    Wireless Marketing Manager
    MapQuest
    Denver, CO

tboooe no está en línea Stack level 3

Josh, can you please clarify this comment, "The $4.99 price only expires.....or if you wish to download subsequent Navigator versions." Does this mean that if you release V 5.4 of Navigator and I download this, I will be charged $9.99 instead of $4.99? Or is my $4.99 price grandfathered in for as long as keep my subscription?

rextilleon no está en línea Stack level 2

I love this---it started as a freeby but now its not! I'll stick with Google---Maybe not as slick, but it's good enough and its FREE!

MapQuestNav no está en línea Stack level 1

Let me answer both your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I love this---it started as a freeby but now its not! I'll stick with Google---Maybe not as slick, but it's good enough and its FREE!

MapQuest Navigator has always been a premium product, priced at $9.99 -similar to other navigation products mentioned in this thread. When we launched MapQuest Navigator, there were billing issues on BlackBerry handsets that did not allow us to charge for the application. But we still wanted to give those handset users the ability to try MapQuest Navigator, so we offered users a 90-day free trial and later a 30-day free trial; after which we had planned to begin charging the monthly fee. We chose not to shut down access to those loyal users who obtained the free promotional download. The product has never been marketed as a free, unlimited subscription. In the US market, the carriers and software providers typically hold the predominant view that multi-featured Navigation is a premium product because of the substantial development costs and network constraints. The more robust the data (such as Live Traffic alerts, Gas Prices or unique content), the more costly it is to build and maintain.

To your point about Google Maps, it should be obvious to those that have tried both products that Navigation applications (voice-guided, turn-by-turn with constant GPS location updates), such as ours and others, are pretty different from a maps and directions service. It's up to the consumer as to which product they prefer, and whether the additional cost is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    Josh, can you please clarify this comment, "The $4.99 price only expires.....or if you wish to download subsequent Navigator versions." Does this mean that if you release V 5.4 of Navigator and I download this, I will be charged $9.99 instead of $4.99? Or is my $4.99 price grandfathered in for as long as keep my subscription?

Sorry- I should have been more specific. Updated versions that are offered after your initial download will remain 'grandfathered' at $4.99 as long as the "scope of the application" remains the essentially the same. This means that minor tweaks to features or data that would be considered 'refinements' - although technically “version 5.xx” - would still be the same application. When the features are substantially changed in the future (and I'm restricted from even hypothetically alluding to what those might be), a subscriber would be clearly given an option on the splash screen to either upgrade to the new version at its new price, whatever that may be, or to keep the current version priced at $4.99.
    Last edited by MapQuestNav; 11-29-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo

xlylshelliboox no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Best GPS - Mapquest Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by nrcapes View Post
    Probably the best FREE gps navigator, but IMHO Telenav is better because it has interface to live traffic and works on the Pearl. I could never get Mapquest Navigator to close properly on the Pearl.
    hey .. i was wondering .. how come you say it's free but when i tried to download it, it was going to charge me? so is it free or am i doing something wrong?

jorgeg.ledes no está en línea Developer

I am glad for the clarification because I had signed up for it and then thought it was change after 12/31/07 to $9.99 so I cancelled and signed up with Telenav but now this has been clarified I'll resubscribe back to Mapquest
    Best regards

Jorge Ledesma
    PIN 2440BE7C

www.blackberrygtd.com

skelzer no está en línea Stack level 3

can anyone verify that this works on VZW Pearl 8130 w/ new OS 4.3?
    Thanks!

cdd543 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have been using it for a few days and have been using telenav for many months so I can offer some comparisons.

Traffic seems very reliable and up to date on mapquest..a bit better than telenav.

Routing is not nearly as good for me and mapquest has taken me way out of the way and instead of truly rerouting it tries to u-turn me to go back to original route. This was on the highway and it was trying to re route when I was 1/4 mile from my destination.

Text to speech drops off on some re routes and does a poor job of pronunciation. I-65 S. as we all know is I-65 South, but it pronounces it I-65 S... as in ess sound instead of south. It did it on multiple roads and at times sounds unintelligible.

I will be sticking with telenav as this feels too much like a beta version to justify paying for it.

This is on the 8310.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast