Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey, all, I just bought a bluetooth GPS receiver to go with my 8100, and ... BlackBerry GPS forum

Jonaselm no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F57947

Thumbs up Best Deal in Bluetooth GPS

Advertisement

Hey, all,
    I just bought a bluetooth GPS receiver to go with my 8100, and I think I might have found the best deal out there - I got the Unitraq BT-5 Bluetooth GPS receiver, which can be purchased from geeks.com for about $45.00. I got it to pair with my BlackBerry, and display my position in BlackBerry Maps (I'm gonna try driving around with it later today).

So if you're looking to add GPS capabilities to your BlackBerry on the cheap, this might be a great solution.... I'll post about how well it acts in the car later on.

geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BT-5&cpc=SCH

Best,
    -Jonas

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Best Deal in Bluetooth GPS

Cool! I have a natural resistance to cheap stuff tho..you get what you pay for most of the time. Post your experience and we'll see!

Jonaselm no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F57947

Went out driving and it works just as well as I could have imagined. It's tiny, has a decent battery life, and finds satellites quickly. Now I just need better navigation software.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

szumlanski no está en línea Stack level 2

I got it. Love it.

One issue - any luck loading the software .jad file onto the blackberry to use the GPS software that comes with it? It would really help with status info.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

szumlanski, you do know that jad files are loaded on the BB via internet (i.e. bb browser) not with the app loader, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by mudshovel
    szumlanski, you do know that jad files are loaded on the BB via internet (i.e. bb browser) not with the app loader, yes?
    Yes, I realize that. You can also put it on your media card and browse to it using the media player. I tried both routes, but when I try to install it I get an error:

Download Failed

The .jad file that comes with the BT-5 is wpdir.jad. it is found on a mini CD that comes with the device. the literature only indicates it works on WinCE and Java enabled "smartphones." There is software on the CD for both.

ejjammer no está en línea Stack level 1

I purchased the same Unitraq BT-5 Bluetooth GPS receiver and have had a similar issue with trying to install the .jad file from the micro CD to my Curve as well as not being able to "see" my location on Google Maps. Any suggestions on how to resolve these issues?

I gave up. I just use Blackberry Maps now with my BT-5 and it works great.

I'm about ready to give up. Now, I see that Blackberry Maps is not available on the AT&T network. Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I may be hosed.

Don't give up! I am on AT&T also. You CAN use it on AT&T. You just have to figure out how to allow it. You have to mess with some config files on your computer. I don't have time right now to look it up, but you should be able to search the forum and get an answer...

Don't give up. It is worth it!

Did a quick search. Found this:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...erry_maps.html

Important part:

"Blackberry maps can be installed on the AT&T branded curve. Download the latest OS from the AT&T website, install it on your PC, navigate to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files. In that folder you'll see a folder for each OS you have installed. open the folder for the latest 8300 OS, find a file called LBS.alx. Open it in word pad. Search for each place where the number "102" appears and change it to 100 or anything other than 102. Save the file. Run the application loader and select to install maps. Enjoy."

You're welcom, in advance.

Sweet! Thank you very much szulanski--I'll give it a try. I'm also trying Google Maps with the BT-5 and will let ya'll know how that works out. thanks again.

jrossi no está en línea Stack level 1

How did you get it to pair with your BlackBerry? I received my BT-5 in the mail today, and each time I try to pair it from my 8100 I am asked for a passkey, which I don't know.

SinErgy no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jrossi
    How did you get it to pair with your BlackBerry? I received my BT-5 in the mail today, and each time I try to pair it from my 8100 I am asked for a passkey, which I don't know.

crua9 no está en línea Stack level 1

im trying to load the wpdir.jad file to my ming a1200. im thinking of the only way to make this work is if the jd file turns into a jar file b/c the manu. has wpdir.jar to upload to the phone.
    is there a way to make the jad file into a jar file without lossing whats in the file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast