Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey everyone, I bought a Pearl through T-Mo, and an iBlue PS-3200 bluetooth GPS. I ... BlackBerry GPS forum

res09wpc no está en línea Stack level 1

BB Maps / Bluetooth GPS

Advertisement

Hey everyone, I bought a Pearl through T-Mo, and an iBlue PS-3200 bluetooth GPS. I get a JavaLang IllegalArgumentException whenever I attempt to start the GPS from the Maps application. I suspect the iBlue isn't compatible. Does anyone know if it is and if so, what I might be doing wrong?. If it isn't it appears from the threads I've seen that the Holux 236(?) works pretty well and I'll have to exchange the GPS.

Thanks!

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Re: BB Maps / Bluetooth GPS

Hello and welcome!

From what I have heard, the bluetooth is only for headsets. The other functionality has not been enabled. anyone else have more to offer?

bwgregg no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C26A9

I've read about lots of people who are using their GPS via bluetooth on the pearl. Were you able to pair the phone and the GPS successfully?

Quote Originally Posted by bwgregg
    I've read about lots of people who are using their GPS via bluetooth on the pearl. Were you able to pair the phone and the GPS successfully?
    Yes, I've been able to pair the GPS successfully. The pearl recognizes it as an iBlue GPS. The Maps application sees the GPS and attempts to start it, but that's when the Maps applications aborts with the java error.

I've seen other threads indicating the Maps works great with a bluetooth GPS (mostly Holux brand), but I only saw one hit with the iBlue and that person had the same error. That's why I'm trying to figure out if I have something configured wrong or if the GPS is just not compatible with the pearl...

tommyc013 no está en línea Stack level 1

If the receiver is bluetooth and NMEA compatible it should work. I'm using the one I got with the TomTom Navigator for my treo 650. I miss the tom tom software but at least I can still make use of the hardware I purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyc013
    If the receiver is bluetooth and NMEA compatible it should work. I'm using the one I got with the TomTom Navigator for my treo 650. I miss the tom tom software but at least I can still make use of the hardware I purchased.
    According to the literature it is:

NMEA 0183 (V3.01) - GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC(default); VTG, GLL (optional)
    Baud rate 115200 bps,
    Data bit: 8, Stop bit: 1 (Default)
    Could the Maps application be looking for a different NMEA rev?

For those interested, I think I figured out the problem.

The Holux GPSlim 236 which seems to work fine with the 8100 Maps application is running NMEA 0183 v2.2. The iBlue PS-3200 GPS is running NMEA 0183 v3.01. My conclusion (albeit unproven yet) is that the 3.01 version on the iBlue is causing the java IllegalArgumentException in Maps. I have a Holux GPSlim 236 on order. I'll update this thread with my final results.

Thanks for the input!
    Lee

torra002 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204DD695

I'm having a similar problem. I'm running OS v.4.2.0.51 and I can not get my Holux 240 to work with my Pearl. I can open up BBmaps, but when I click "Start GPS" the entire program closes after a few seconds and I get this error:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

I have GPS enabled and I've played with all of the device properties. I've even selected the Holux 240 as my default device in Location Based Services. This is very frustrating.Please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by torra002
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm running OS v.4.2.0.51 and I can not get my Holux 240 to work with my Pearl. I can open up BBmaps, but when I click "Start GPS" the entire program closes after a few seconds and I get this error:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

I have GPS enabled and I've played with all of the device properties. I've even selected the Holux 240 as my default device in Location Based Services. This is very frustrating.Please help!!!
    You're getting a different error than I am, plus you're running a later version of the OS - I'm running 42, not 51. I don't know if that matters or not. I looked at the specs on your GPS and if I have the model correct it's running NMEA 0183 v2.2. I suspect you may be battling a different problem than I am! Hopefully you'll get a post that will point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by res09wpc
    For those interested, I think I figured out the problem.

The Holux GPSlim 236 which seems to work fine with the 8100 Maps application is running NMEA 0183 v2.2. The iBlue PS-3200 GPS is running NMEA 0183 v3.01. My conclusion (albeit unproven yet) is that the 3.01 version on the iBlue is causing the java IllegalArgumentException in Maps. I have a Holux GPSlim 236 on order. I'll update this thread with my final results.

Thanks for the input!
    Lee
    The Holux GPSlim 236 came in yesterday and it works just fine. So obviously there's nothing wrong with the Maps application. I think that confirms my suspicion though - Blackberry Maps works with NMEA 0183 protocol v2.2 and probably v2.0, but not v3.01. So anyone purchasing a bluetooth GPS check the protocol version before buying!

srinivasvk92 no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile Re: BB Maps / Bluetooth GPS

I am facing similar problem with Pearl 8100. I have a DELL GPS system and is blue tooth enabled (bought around late 2005). I was using it with my Axim X50V and I am trying to use it with Pearl 8100.
    The system hangs or throws the Java exception. Is there a patch or the application or any updates that are required to be downloaded. OR does it connect to only few GPS receivers?
    Also while pairing some times it accepts "0000" as the code and sometimes not.

Appreciate help.

Updated - OK, seems to be the code 2003 is correct code and is currently paired with BB 8100. I still have Java issue, and BB is frozen last 3 minutes.

mrbill5421 no está en línea Stack level 1

i am having the same problem i just got my holux 240 today and i paired it with my 8100 right away with no problems and used it on the way to my friends house then shut it off and came home later in the night and tried to mess with it some more and thats when i got the error i didnt change any settings or anything so i dont know why it all the sudden didnt like it.

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

my gps/receiver bt-359 works great with my pearl! however i cant find any download maps for it to use on my new curve 8300 with cingular! any help? thanks

bird2920 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have a spectec GPS that I plug in to my Palm T/X in the SD Card slot. My Pearl can connect and track with no problem.

Spectec 2-in-1 Bluetooth GPS Receiver with Micro SD Memory Slot for Treo 700p, 700w|wx, 65

(only problem is it has to be plugged into a something that can give it power through SD slot.) My T/X and my Pearl are both mounted to my dash, so it doesn't matter.

Hope that helps.

My T/X and my Pearl are bothh mounted to my dash, so it doesn't matter.

jeepnh no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi,
    I am in the same situation, Pearl / Holux Slim 240, paired ok/ recognized, but GoogleMaps
    "Uncaught Exception Error
    Net.RIM.Device.API.System.Controlled access Exception"

Anyone, thoughts??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast