Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by lineus There is more than enough memory for GPS software in Pearl ... BlackBerry GPS forum

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Is there anyway to use the GPS in the BB 8800 without data charges?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lineus
    There is more than enough memory for GPS software in Pearl but carriers just want to get more money charging us for data plans....
    That statement doesn't make any sense. You pay GPS software vendors for their app -- not the carriers. If you pay Telenav's monthly fee the money does not go to your carrier. If you have an unlimited data plan your carrier doesn't make any extra money on the GPS...

It's not up to the carriers to develop a GPS solution for the BB that has maps stored on microSD. If that bothers you then contact the GPS software developers.
    Last edited by takeshi; 04-11-2007 at 12:05 PM.

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Takeshi, in Canada there's no unlimited data plan, the best you can have with rogers is $100 for 200mb of download and that covers only data not voice
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

mikepraba no está en línea Stack level 1

i am hearing big mixed messages. being new to the bb world. i downloaded the bb maps and tried out the gps. works great, but thats it, i dont turn the gps on anymore since someone told me that it costs alost 1/4 mb date for 30 min usage!!! its not worth it. But someone here said once, only you consume data when u down load new maps .. ist hat ture? then i will use it. because i will use it only locally. any comments?

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

carriers make NO money on the GPS. Telenav gets it from Cingular. I use Tmo and contarct directly with telenav for their service so carriers DO NOT get anything. It just uses the GPRS data plan from the carriers..thats IT!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    Takeshi, in Canada there's no unlimited data plan, the best you can have with rogers is $100 for 200mb of download and that covers only data not voice
    Right -- that's what the "if" was for. Unlimited data plans are hard to come by outside the US.

In any case, carriers still aren't responsible for the development of third party GPS apps as lineus stated...

robertguero no está en línea Stack level 1

Thats probably the only good thing i can say about Tmo is that I pay about $20 a month for unlimited BB data plan.

BaRTiMuS no está en línea Stack level 1

I just switched over to a BB from a Nokia E61i and I am confused by this as well. How come there are no third party apps that load the maps onto my BB's memory card. On my E61i I had TomTom and maps of NA only take up about 1.5gb.

Sure having a data plan is ok but imagine your in a place that you actually need the GPS like in europe, or in my case the US. Imagine the GPRS roaming charges I will incur by constantly streaming the maps to my device. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

c2k
    c2k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by henry8888 View Post
    Of course i do, i just cant afford it now, i wanted it mainly for phone calls, mp3, SMS TXT MSG(THE KEYBOARD), and the other utilities that it offers and of courrse GPS, but i cant believe the GPS is suppose to cost me money, i already am paying 60 bucks a month on my phone, cant afford another $45! So is there any way to use the gps for free? any sugestion would be great!

you should surf the net on your computor for directions instead. Don't get me wrong, not making fun of you at all.

squall458 no está en línea Stack level 1

So using a BT GPS device won't work to get the data? How come PDAs and other devices are able to use BT GPS devices for free? Is it because the maps are always downloaded on the fly and not stored on the memory card?

niforpix no está en línea Stack level 2

Because that's how BlackBerrys work. It's always "on-the fly" downloads of maps. Like said before, no vendor has made an application yet that allows you to store maps on your SD card.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pseudosuit no está en línea Stack level 1

Having a BB or any smartphone without a data plan is pointless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12