Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ur_8800_a.html... BlackBerry GPS forum

kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 8800 Gps and Google Maps Mobile

Advertisement

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    IIRC you can't download BBM for the 8800. There are instructions for installing in a thread here on Pinstack and on BlackberryForums.com. It involves either editing your blackberry.alx file or downloading an edited blackberry.alx to enable LBS (and therefore BBM).
    Oops -- make that LBS.alx. Read the instructions and not what I typed...

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Re: 8800 Gps and Google Maps Mobile

Update:

FYI, BB 8800 arrived to me today from T-Mobile UK They just got them in yesterday, for business users first, I presume.

BB Maps was installed on it out of the box (and it's new). I clicked start GPS in the BBMaps app, and in a few seconds it had found 7 satellites (while I was sitting in a house), was locked on, and I was "good to go". BBMaps appears to cover the UK (and probably a bunch of other places at that as they showed up in the global map view when it started up.) Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

[I won't apologize for all the big grins!]

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~same here I'm on O2 and my BBmaps work beautifuly out of the box on my 8800... I find this a very cool application for a phone. Now the only thing I need is a proper car cradle...

crackheadbob no está en línea Stack level 1

How did you link the google maps to your gps? Does you gps show live location?

Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3

As far as I know, Google Maps does not work with your GPS yet. I've asked the same question before and everyone says 'yet' so I thought I'd throw it in as well.

I grabbed the Mapquest navigator program (using the sprint 8703 version per Takeshi's suggestion in another forum) and it works great.

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

BBM (Blackberry Maps) requires no linking to the GPS, it's built in. You do have to click "Start GPS" from the BBM menu to get GPS started. BBM will show you your location live, as you move around, and will update the maps as you do so. It's very nice, and I did use if for driving the other day, but as it updates sometimes slow, sometimes quick (depending on coverage, downlink speed, etc.) it is useful but not fully seamless for driving. It's not yet a replacement for the TomToms and Garmins.

GMM (Google Mobile Maps), on the other hand, does not currently use GPS on the BB. They have GMM linked to GPS on other platforms (WM and something called Helio), so you might expect Google to port it to the BB. Even without GPS, GMM is a nice companion to BBM, as the maps look better (IMHO), there are satellite and traffic views, and you can search for local information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12