Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi ya all, Does anyone know if you can tie in the built in gps ... BlackBerry GPS forum

drjaspo no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up 8800 Gps and Google Maps Mobile

Advertisement

Hi ya all,

Does anyone know if you can tie in the built in gps on a 8800 with the mobile version of Google Maps ? and has anyone had any success route finding using postcodes.(UK User) I can route plan using town to town, or in my ignorance is it a well know fact that BB maps and GMM dont do postcode to postcode in the UK on their mobile versions.

Thanks in advance.

Doc.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: 8800 Gps and Google Maps Mobile

Doc, I do not believe that Google Maps has GPS functionality at this point. It would be great if it did. Not sure on the UK postal codes. Hopefully a fellow UK stacker will be along to shed some more light on that.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You'll have to wait for Google to release a GPS-enabled version for the BB.

Hax0rPunk no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~As of now there is no way to use GPS with google maps.....I've heard rumors though of them releasing one

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: 8800, Google Maps Mobile, and BB Maps

(Apologies if this is addressed in another thread and I've not spotted it.)

Can GMM be used on the BB 8800 at all (disregarding GPS functionality)? I seem to remember reading that it wasn't possible, but this seems hard to believe.

Having used GMM on other devices, but having not yet used BB Maps, it seems GMM has the advantage of storing the maps on the device (once downloaded) while BB Maps may not? Can anyone shed some light on this as well?

drjaspo no está en línea Stack level 1

hi zentient,

yes google maps mobile does work on the 8800 and 8100 pearls without any issues
    that we have seen sofar, maybe other BB user's have had problems
    I am running both BB maps and GMM ( Not at the same time ) on my 8800 and my friend has GMM on his 8100.

The thing that strikes me is that whenever you load up the maps even if you have been to that location before it still downloads data on the fly so to speak which in turn would suggest that it does not store the data from the session before.
    ie, if you lookup a certain area let it D/L all the data then close the app, a few hours later or the next day lookup the same location again and it starts D/L'ing again

Quote Originally Posted by drjaspo
    yes google maps mobile does work on the 8800 and 8100 pearls without any issues that we have seen sofar,
    [...]
    The thing that strikes me is that whenever you load up the maps even if you have been to that location before it still downloads data on the fly so to speak which in turn would suggest that it does not store the data from the session before.
    Thanks for that; it's good news.

If you mean that GMM doesn't store recent map data locally, then I'm surprised as GMM *does* store some recent map data on my Palm.

In a related query, I got a "go talk to your carrier" response from RIM when I asked them why the UK map data is apparently not supported/available (according to a list I found on their website) but every single other European country is. Can anyone enlighten me where RIM could not?
    This list is here: http://na@blackberry@com/eng/devices...b_tab_coverage
    (note: as a newbie to this forum, I can't post hyperlinks, hence the @'s instead of full stops)

jcclow no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24546B45

Google maps works perfectly on the 8800 with the GPS enabled. I used it just yesterday and it told me exactly where I was going, what intersection I was approaching, my speed and which direction I was heading. I don't know if it will generate directions as I haven't tried yet.

erez.simon no está en línea Stack level 1

They must have mistakenly omitted it from this page.
    I've tried downloading in OTA and it is explicitly mentioned that UK is under the covered areas. However, there are special legal term concerning the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by erez.simon
    They must have mistakenly omitted it from this page.
    I've tried downloading in OTA and it is explicitly mentioned that UK is under the covered areas. However, there are special legal term concerning the UK.
    Thanks for the answer, erez.simon! I can't wait to find out what the "special legal terms" are. I'm sure I'll download the wrong map and end up as an MI5 rendition target.

So, does BB maps (or other maps, eg. GMM) work well in the UK? and in Europe?

jcclow no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24546B45

Quote Originally Posted by jcclow
    Google maps works perfectly on the 8800 with the GPS enabled. I used it just yesterday and it told me exactly where I was going, what intersection I was approaching, my speed and which direction I was heading. I don't know if it will generate directions as I haven't tried yet.
    I obviously made a mistake. I thought I was downloading Google Maps and I got BBMaps instead and it seems to be working perfectly. Now if only I could find the link again for BBMaps.

ross12345 no está en línea Stack level 1

wwwdotgoogledotcom/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=39894&topic=9120

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

IIRC you can't download BBM for the 8800. There are instructions for installing in a thread here on Pinstack and on BlackberryForums.com. It involves either editing your blackberry.alx file or downloading an edited blackberry.alx to enable LBS (and therefore BBM).

DanMan no está en línea Stack level 1

Google maps would be great with GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    IIRC you can't download BBM for the 8800. There are instructions for installing in a thread here on Pinstack and on BlackberryForums.com. It involves either editing your blackberry.alx file or downloading an edited blackberry.alx to enable LBS (and therefore BBM).
    Thanks for the clear answer! I'm surprised that they ("they" being RIM? or carrier?) restrict access to BBM, especially on the 8800; perhaps they're going to release it more widely in time. Even if they have cut a deal with Telenav in the US, why bother to create the thing if few can access it? Hopefully it'll be OTA before long.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast