I currently have the Curve from Tmob, but really prefer my phone to be wi-fi ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

mrsharris no está en línea Stack level 1

Will 8820 unlocked handle t-mob's UMA?

Advertisement

I currently have the Curve from Tmob, but really prefer my phone to be wi-fi AND GPS. If I purchase an unlocked 8820, is there any handheld software version that would enable it to use UMA from Tmob?

Incidentally, I currently also have an unlocked 8800 running Tmob's 4.2.174 handheld software. The problem appears to be that Tmob does not produce handheld software for the 8820 . . .

greenandgold52 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Will 8820 unlocked handle t-mob's UMA?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~that is a very good question but I belive it won't work cuz uma is hardware installed into the phone with the wifi.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

The UMA is a program that runs on the device and is loaded into the firmware of the device, but from what I am finding is not a hardware specific function. There has been speculation that if someone can get the service books transferred over and get all connecting right, that it might work, but as of yet there are no service books that work or make this available to the 88xx series.

penpower no está en línea Stack level 3

First of all, the phone must have the hardware to support UMA. A phone that has wifi doesn't make it UMA compatible, because it also needs to support the protocol. That's why not all wifi enabled phones can use UMA, but many of them do support voip. 8820 doesn't support voip and means you can't use many available software or service to make wifi call. Yes, service book seems to be the issue keeping us from using 8820 with tmobile's UMA.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I don't know, I beg to differ, as it is the software and drivers that determine what can and can't be used, as any wifi card can be put into a computer and with the right software it can perform voip. The reason that not all phones with wifi can support the voip (which is kind of a moot point as UMA is not voip as it doesn't use sip routing and handling and I could go on, but I digress back to the subject at hand) as they don't have the software to enable the function qand their operating system don't have the necessary support or handling. I don't think it is a question of the hardware, it is a question of the software (as the 8320 doesn't support voip but still does UMA). I say it doesn't support voip as the routing for voip is sip handling and the port handoff structures are different then the way in which UMA is structured. This is the best link that I have found for explaining UMA: http://www.umatechnology.org/overview/

I could totally be wrong on my interpretation, but from all I have read and studied this is how it works. Don't misunderstand me, I am not questioning whether you are correct or incorrect (although it may come across as such), I am just trying to learn more myself and get the correct info (let's face it wikipedia is not necessarily a good idea all of the time as due to its nature anbody can update it with incorrect info and it from that point on is taken as the gospel unless someone edits it to be correct, so it can be like a bad rumor), so if you indeed are correct and know what you are talking about please help me to better understand, as I love to know the most I can about the technology. If you can point me to some good articles and supporting writings, I would love it. Thanks in advance.