Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't quite agree with that. EDGE seems to get the job done much better ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: WiFi vs. EDGE

Advertisement

I don't quite agree with that. EDGE seems to get the job done much better than dial up could. I'd never turn off my data and plug in a modem.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    Rogers disabled wifi on the 8800 since they don't want their price to go down
    The 8800 does not have WiFi -- the 8820 does (the XX20 designates that it is WiFi-equipped).

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    EDGE think dial up only slower
    That depends on a lot of factors. It can be slower. In most cases, it isn't in my experience but coverage and network utilization in your area can definitely affect speed, among other factors.

wasntxme no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2408fbdc

What truly amazes me is that my EDGE and GPRS are at 4 full bars (and in CAPS) while I am driving on the freeway, but the minute I get into residential housing I am down to 2 bars. Do they honestly think I am surfing the web WHILE i am driving ???

Lets put the Phone Towers by the highways and Data Towers by the houses. The Tethered Modem feature (included with BB8800 DataPlan) would pay for itself since i wouldnt need DSL at the house.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I doubt if there will be any difference in email delivery. You might notice some speed increase while surfing, but not much IMHO as the processor and memory are somewhat limited and many web pages are not mobile friendly.

amoroso511 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by husnain1
    well LA is thinking of making the whole city wifi enabled so you never know maybe other cities will follow and it will become the norm. hope so.
    Good on you Americans, we in Europe seem to be 150 years behind you in technology although everything has so far started from UK , technology I mean.!!!!
    The most we get in UK is GPRS ha ha

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

WiFi opens up a lot of interesting possibilities. I have a home office and an office downtown. Given a choice, I'd much rather work from the house everyday than commute.

I wonder what vendors are thinking. Imagine a few years from now every vendor offers a BB that's WiFi capable. A guy like myself walks into the store, and buys one with intentions of using it primarily from my home over my WiFi network.

Do I need to buy the lowest tier voice and/or data plan from the vendor? If not, what's to keep them from charging me the max price, since they won't be getting any, or at least as much recurring monthly revenue from the unit they sold me?

I noticed already on one of T-Mobiles commercials for their first WiFi capable phone that they charge $9.99 a month for that feature.

For T-Mobile users, has anyone read or heard anything about how TM plans to operate/charge for the WiFi feature on the BB?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Are they charging for WiFi or for UMA?

Quote Originally Posted by wasntxme
    What truly amazes me is that my EDGE and GPRS are at 4 full bars (and in CAPS) while I am driving on the freeway, but the minute I get into residential housing I am down to 2 bars. Do they honestly think I am surfing the web WHILE i am driving ???

Lets put the Phone Towers by the highways and Data Towers by the houses. The Tethered Modem feature (included with BB8800 DataPlan) would pay for itself since i wouldnt need DSL at the house.
    Coverage in general is better along freeways so yes, data coverage is better along the freeways as well since the towers are there.

Do you really think that tethering via EDGE can replace DSL? Either you haven't tethered much or your internet usage at home is very light...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12