Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by trigga15 its great for some and useless for others i guess it ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: WiFi On The BlackBerry: Will It Really Be THAT Great?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by trigga15
    its great for some and useless for others i guess it goes both ways either way it will be a great bb
    Well said!

It's all about choices. This is why I'm so excited at the thought of WiFi in the 8800. It will greatly enhance my productivity where work is concerned.

Much like all those who are really excited that the 8100 has a camera. Or that it can play music. It becomes a lifestyle / workstyle enhancement.

Just like many could care less about WiFi, I could care less about incorporating the ability to play music as I'm truly happy with my iPod. I have a vast library of music from the iTunes store and have spent many hours arranging my playlists etc. So the thought of moving to another device for my music has no attraction for me.

That's one of the most exciting aspects of the Pearl is it does so many things, therefore appealing to a very broad audience. The more BlackBerry's sold the better!

Cheers...

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I'm still in the air, outside of skype don't really know when I would need to jump on a wifi network. My BB is always connected anyway. Maybe for those locations when I don't get data service, but for me that rarely happens. It would be a good option to have though.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pierre626 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2028B9F

The 7270 only works with certain expensive VoIP Servers (Avaya's and a few other manufacturers). Heres my question though. Since no consumer Blackberrys support WiFi , RIM doesnt have to open up their NOC to the Internet but if the 8800 Launches with WiFi and the NOC stays this way thn we won't wont get our mail over Wifi , so if they open it up, theoretically anyone regardless of data plan could use it.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Quote Originally Posted by pierre626
    . . .the NOC stays this way thn we won't wont get our mail over Wifi ,
    But if it's a dual service device, then Getting emails over WiFi won't matter.
    And the 7270 appears to work for email with a BES, so it can be done.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

I'm assuming here that having the additional wifi option will reduce my costs since I'm with Rogers Canada and everybody know how expensive they can get. I have been paying anywhere from $300 - $850 the past 2 years. My goal is obvious -- cut the costs of the bb. I work both at home and in an office bldg. that have password protected wifi internet connections. What are your thoughts? Will I really save with wifi?
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

So basically even if you had wifi coverage everywhere you went, you would still have to pay for most of the spots that had coverage. So what I would like to say (probably already stated) is that it would just be easier to have a data plan so you will always have coverage and also you will basically be paying the same amount as if you payed for a wifi spot. So I guess it would be good for people who are willing to pay for the faster access if they are always going to be in a wifi accessable spot.

That's just my .02 cents, and I'm going to stick with the data plan and my pearl ,

COJO 24

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I can't see WiFi being all that beneficial. Speed really depends on the processor and with a BB, or any handheld for that matter, you won't have a fast one for sure. Memory is another factor.

The usefulness will also depend on what you can actually do witht he WiFi connection. Is it just for surfing or will RIM allow you to get email that way?

Just my opinion.

djb
    djb no está en línea Stack level 1

*** ROGERS MAY SELECTIVELY BLOCK 8800's 802.11x Wi-FI??!! ***

Just got off phone with Rogers BB tech. He raised the possibility that ROGERS may LOCK OUT general 802.11b/g functionality (somehow...I have no idea how) leaving only select WIFI connectivity (i.e., downtown, trainstations, etc). I was UNAWARE WI-FI and 802.11x were different. He says you may not be able to roam around your house or business and browse/connect to the internet wirelessly, thus avoiding paying them the rapacious data fees they love to charge us! He suggested "the company" wouldn't want you making free VoIP calls with the device using some yet-to-be available BB Skype client, or whatever...

Is this true? Is this possible? What's the point of WI-Fi if they can disable 802.11 like that!??

What was he talking about?? I basicly wanna be able to connect to whatever FREE (i.e., my house, work, etc..anywhere I know the WEP key) WI-FI network I want. I don't wanna have to eat into my data plan if I don't have to. Can anyone clarify this?

chuckswigg no está en línea Stack level 1

can you get wifi on the 7290?

djb
    djb no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: can you get wifi on the 7290?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckswigg
    can you get wifi on the 7290?

Nope.

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

well i didnt take the time to read most of those posts cause they were really long but for me wifi is important for 1 reason, school
    many of my classes take place in the center of buildings and a few take place in basement floors so I dont have much of a signal but my school is completly wifi accessable for free, so if my blackberry had wifi i would still have access there, but for now i have to use my ipaq or laptop

brewer1991 no está en línea Stack level 1
    It will be a help to me because I have a wireless box in my house with wifi

harm_dzines no está en línea Stack level 3

Is there a thread on here that fully explaines the advantages/disadvantages of wi-fi? I am trying to understand what the big deal is about wi-fi. I am waiting for the TMO 8820 or Curve
    but not for the wi-fi

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~wifi don't make sense to me if you have it at work why not just use your work computer or do some work if you have it at home why not just use your computer sitting in starbucks or any other place for that matter just to surf the net is just weird if your on edge I can see why its a problem which is why I won't leave cdma but its just my 2 cents

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    To me the biggest crutch of the browser is not the speed but the fact that is displays mobile pages. That is the one reason I would want the iphone, it has a real browser and doesn't display crappy mobile sites

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast