Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think most folks who are asking for this option (perhaps I'm totally offbase) probably ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Re: WiFi On The BlackBerry: Will It Really Be THAT Great?

Advertisement

I think most folks who are asking for this option (perhaps I'm totally offbase) probably want it IN ADDITION to their normal wireless service. I think we could all agree that having additional access in non-coverage areas might be helpful. And when I say non-coverage I just mean, at home or in an office building where there isn't great cell coverage.

In addition to that, those of us suckers who don't have GPRS/EDGE compatible phones are really sunk if we travel out of EVDO/CDMA coverage. I would assume WiFi is an international standard and thus I would be able to have that OPTION while traveling.

Point VERY well taken that this isn't a great alternative to cellular wireless, but it would be a great add-on (though as I recall the 8800 is being said to be ONLY WiFi, is that correct?).

I think every business professional simply wants to know that they can get what they want when they want it. And, for the most part, at least in my firm, if that means paying a little more or a one-time fee, then so be it. But business can't stop! So why not have MORE options to lessen that possibility.

By the way jhowle, holding their what? = )

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Are WiFi capable models going to be UMA capable as well? I can't see why adding WiFi would be a negative thing unless it affect reliability or kills batery life.

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Most of us participating in this discussion already use BlackBerrys that are being supported by monthly data plans. An open question remains: How many additional BB users would there be that would use a data-only BlackBerry that you would never have to pay a monthly fee for? A Wifi BB might address that market. Granted, the quality of service would be significantly less than a traditional BB. However, there may still be a significant market of individuals who would pay $350 for a device where they could get some mobile email, but never pay a service charge.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by squished18
    How many additional BB users would there be that would use a data-only BlackBerry that you would never have to pay a monthly fee for? there may still be a significant market of individuals who would pay $350 for a device where they could get some mobile email, but never pay a service charge.
    Well, unless you spend all of your time tracking down actual free WiFi spots throughout the area of the city you live in.

Actual FREE WiFi spots are few and far between.

Example, yes, McDonalds and Starbucks in major cities are WiFi equipped, however, the only way that you can use that WiFi service is to have a WiFi account with TMobile, which is $29.99/month.

Now, add in companies that have WiFi, which is where most of the enterprise users listed above, will be using their WiFi equipped devices. If you are using your companys WiFi, then it will be no problem while you are in the building and using their WiFi system, because you will know the password to use the service.

However, as an example, if I walked into that building with a WiFi equipped Blackberry, my device will find that connection, however, unless I have the access code to your network, that connection does me absolutely no good. (I am guessing that an overall percentage of companies and even individuals who have their WiFi password protected is well over 90%).

As far as battery life, I am guessing that enabling the WiFi on your device when you are not sitting still and secured to one network, could have a significant toll on your battery, like if you are in a car driving in downtown Chicago.

As you are driving, you would be popping in and out of WiFi hotspots, and even if they are password protected, your device is still going to recognize them. In a 5 block radius it is possible to bounce in and out of as many of 25+ different hot spots. I would compare it to how your battery is effected if you are in a spotty coverage area with edge and you keep losing your signal, getting it back, losing it, etc. This has the potential to drain your battery quickly.

While I was in Chicago a while back, I walked through the downtown area with an IPAQ, curious as to what WiFi connections were avaliable.

First, in a 3 block radius I only found one WiFi connection that was not password protected. However, within 2 minutes of me using it, it lost the connection, refound it, and when I tried to log back on it, it then said I needed as password.

The battery life in the IPAQ only lasted about 45 minutes during that little "experiment".

Will a berry battery be the same, who knows. Possibly. But I am sure there will be a way that you can shut the WiFi connection off, until you are ready to use it, being at your office or home.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

This is kind of interesting, and I am surprised that noone has found this yet and posted it, as it kind of has to do along the same lines as what we are discussing here:

From Gizmodo.Com Article,

CNET News Article

October 6th, 2006:

T-Mobile 3G: Not Until 2007

T-Mobile USA CEO Robert Dotson announced T-Mobile's move into 3G service at a press conference in New York on Oct. 6.

T-Mobile USA is preparing the launch of new third-generation (3G) mobile phone services -- which allow video phone calls and music downloads over mobiles -- in 2007, even though it has yet to make a formal decision to bid for the necessary spectrum.

"We plan to begin the 3G rollout in the second half of next year and the first services shall launch in 2007," said Chief Development Officer Cole Brodman.

Really, this is most notable simply because T-Mo had said previously that they weren't going to pursue a 3G strategy at all, instead relying on their Wi-Fi hotspots."

This main reason that I think this has to do with this discussion is the last line there, that I have highlighted.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by woodi68
    Point VERY well taken that this isn't a great alternative to cellular wireless, but it would be a great add-on (though as I recall the 8800 is being said to be ONLY WiFi, is that correct?).
    Nope, at least not from what's been leaked so far. The 8800 is rumored to have Wifi in addition to other coverage. The 7270 is the only wifi-only model. Keep in mind that since the carriers can't make any money from a wifi-only device (remember that they are discounting the devices that you buy today because they know you'll have a service plan; that's not the case with wifi), there is no incentive for them to sell it. As far as I know, the only way to get a 7270 today is directly through RIM, precisely because of that. If the 8800 were to be wifi-only, you wouldn't likely find the carriers selling it either.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Another good article talking about this very subject also:

Yahoo News 10/6/2006:

NEW YORK - T-Mobile USA is set to launch by year's end a new breed of mobile phones that can pass live phone calls between cellular and Wi-Fi networks, a top executive told The Associated Press on Friday.

Robert Dotson, chief executive of the U.S. subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom AG, declined to disclose the specific market where T-Mobile planned to introduce the technology, known as UMA or Unlicensed Mobile Access.

But he did say it would likely be "a city near and dear to our hearts," a likely reference to the company's home city of Seattle.

UMA is designed to hand off calls without interruption from a cell network to a Wi-Fi router, or vice versa. So if a user arrives home while talking on a cell phone and the handset detects a Wi-Fi broadband connection in the house, the call is automatically switched to the wireless Internet signal.

The only difference is that the call is then transmitted using VoIP, or Voice over Internet Protocol, the technology used by Internet phone companies such as Vonage Holdings Corp.

T-Mobile has previously acknowledged it was testing UMA, which can help ease the burden on the limited call capacity of a cellular network while also providing users a stronger wireless signal when they're inside a building.

Dotson said the company will offer handsets comparably priced to cell phones but declined to say how much the service will cost.

UMA is a natural extension for the company's offerings, he said, because more than 10 percent of T-Mobile's subscribers do not have a traditional wired home phone.

"We believe we're in a place where we can take it to a full market trial," Dotson said.

For the service to succeed, the user experience "has got to be bulletproof," Dotson said. "If the battery life is not close to a cordless phone that exists in the home today, they're not going to use it. Even the call quality can't change. We're ensuring the setup and usage is totally seamless."

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Well, unless you spend all of your time tracking down actual free WiFi spots throughout the area of the city you live in.

Actual FREE WiFi spots are few and far between.
    I agree that as soon as you talk about paying for Wifi, the business case begins to break down pretty quickly. However, I think the point here is that some users may be able to get sufficient functionality out of the free Wifi they already have access to (i.e. at work and at home).

Let's take a minimal assumption, that users are only going to use the Wifi at work. Right now, I think most BlackBerry users are ones that are considered "must-haves", either due to position in the company or job requirements. That's mainly because of the $40+/month data charges, right? However, if you take that monthly data charge out of the picture, the business case may become strong enough such that every employee in the company now carries a BlackBerry. Give every employee BlackBerry functionality for the same cost as setting up a phone extension for them at their desk. No more desk phone, just a BlackBerry. Theoretically, they could have a mobile phone with them, plus email messaging, wherever they go in the office, all for the same cost as what companies are already paying in desk phone costs.

As stated earlier, this remains an open question. We may find that the support costs of BlackBerry are significantly larger than what a corporation pays for their desk phones. Or we may find that having every employee connected by email, instant messaging, and phone, wherever they are in the office, without paying a monthly service fee to a carrier, is worth it.

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

My logic is simple. If instead of using a portion of the limited amount of space inside of a BB device for the wiring, harware, circuitry, etc and battery drain of a camera, why not utilize that space for a wifi radio. BB's are designed for mobile CONNECTIVITY. I see no connectivity usage out of a camera. However, even if that wifi connectivity is only used 10-20% of the time the user takes advantage of his/her BB then it is totally worth it. I am a huge proponent of this because to be honest I would use that over a data plan, hands down. Personally most of the buildings, apartments, offices, classrooms, restaurants, etc that I spent time in have free wifi access.

Also, I love the logic of squished. There are many people these days moving away from land line phones and stritcly using wireless. The idea of a wireless office building using voip instead of putting an outdated wireless phone at hundreds of desk is genius.

Lastly, while everything could change 1-2 years from now in terms of networks, whats the difference?! At that point you can simply buy a new device. Lets be honest, cell phones, even BB's, are not designed to last more than 2 years. If you have a device that you have been using for more than two years that fantastic, but for the average day to day user, they are most certainly going to need a new device every 1-2 years.

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F

www.theonlyphoneyouneed.com

its already beta testing for the Hotspot @ home in Washington state. I wish i was up there right now. But it will be awsome with the 8800 BB thats gunna be the first BB ever with WIFI.

Im syked!

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

That is exactly why I think WiFI on a BB would be great

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

Personally I have no interest in having WIFI built in. That is not to say I might not ever use it. I could see where it might come in handy if there is no connectivity with my carrier.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by maz94protege
    www.theonlyphoneyouneed.com
    its already beta testing for the Hotspot @ home in Washington state. I wish i was up there right now. But it will be awsome with the 8800 BB thats gunna be the first BB ever with WIFI.

Im syked!
    Actually, the 7270 is a wifi-only device which has been available for quite a while, but it's not exactly widely available. (I think you have to get them directly from RIM.)

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I am truly looking forward to WiFi in a BB. I use WiFi everyday. It's in my home , my office, the hotels I stay in while traveling etc.

It has been my main method of connectivity for over 5 yrs.

It's in nearly every Starbucks where I meet clients. And I am amongst a huge number of mobile professionals.

Under these circumstances WiFi is a significant asset in my BB. As we all know it's about speed and efficiency, both of which will increase by having another method of being connected which in this case is WiFi.

Those of us using WiFi in this manner already are paying for the service & using it, so by enabling our blackberry's we will have the flexibility and another choice of devices with which to do our work.

As always it's about progress & change, growth & accomplishment.

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

its great for some and useless for others i guess it goes both ways
    either way it will be a great bb

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast