Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is spinning off of another a post here, however I want to give this ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

WiFi On The BlackBerry: Will It Really Be THAT Great?

Advertisement

This is spinning off of another a post here, however I want to give this topic its own post for comments and whatnot.

Everyone is getting so excited about the possibilty of the new BlackBerries being equipped to connect with WiFi connections, however, my question is, why is everyone so stoked about this?

Yes, there are those people who WiFi would truly benefit with their jobs, especially if they are in their building and connecting to the companies WiFi network.

However, what about those of us "regular consumers" who either don't have WiFi access at our work, live in cities where WiFi isn't really prevelant, or better yet, live in cities where WiFi is, however we fall in between WiFi coverage points?

I believe that the majority of people who hear WiFi may be on the next BlackBerries are typical consumers, such as myself, who are under the assumption that they will be able to receive WiFi speeds and connections no matter where they are, and will just be bouncing around freely from one WiFi hotspot to the next while they are moving in a vehicle or walking down the street.

Therefore, I went and did a little search for actual WiFi coverage spots.

As some of you may know from the other post, I used Chicago as my example.

Here is a map of Chicago showing WiFi Coverage Spots. From a distance it looks as if the entire city would have WiFi access:

Now let's zoom in a little closer on the downtown area:

As you can see, the WiFi coverage zones are started to look a little less and less dense as you zoom in on the areas.

Now closer:

Now you can start to realize how unstable WiFi really would be for those who would try and utilize it, especially while being on the move. For those people trying to utilize their WiFi connection in their office, of course, it would be great.

But now also add in how many WiFi hotspots overlap each other, are password locked and are Pay To Use?

I did a search on the WiFi Connections shown in the above map of Chicago.

I used the 324-399 block of Stetson Avenue as an example, and reqeuested both pay and free WiFi connectivity spots within a 5 mile radius, because Stetson Avenue sits pretty much in the middle of that coverage map, and here are the results.

362 TOTAL WiFi Connectivity Points
    21 FREE connectivity points
    341 PAY connectivity points

The main pay connectivity providers were:
    WayPort ($49.95/month)
    TMobile ($29.99/month)
    Boingo ($21.95/month)

Obviously there are other, smaller providers, and rate plans can vary from prepaid amounts to yearly subscriptions.

Now I am going to use TMobile as an example:

Data service is $19.99 a month right now for EDGE coverage. If you have a WiFi equipped Blackberry, are you prepared to pay an extra $29.99/month in order to be able to access TMobile HotSpots? Or would you rather have the ability to use a faster mobile broadband data connection, such as 3G or something equivelant, and pay a flat rate of $59.99+/month for such data service?

I am sure those of you who live in a city like Chicago or New York or San Fransisco can attest to the fact that if you are driving around with your laptop hooked up trying to get a wireless connection, or using something such as an IPAQ which is WiFi enabled, then you are constantly getting notifications pop up stating that a new connection is avaliable every 10 seconds and trying to log onto WiFi connections that are password locked.

Like I said, would it be good for someone walking around their office trying to use it? Sure. But in all honesty, how many of us "typical consumers" would it really benefit? Because I am guessing that most of us are believing that if our phones are WiFi enabled, then we are going to be able to just hop on to a WiFi network and go wherever we please and always be connected. This is simply not the case.

Here are a few other maps of WiFi coverage in other cities:

SACRAMENTO, CA:

WICHITA, KS:

ST LOUIS, MO:

DENVER, CO:

So like I said, the question is, is WiFi really that big of a deal for the "typical consumer" or person using their BlackBerry outside of a controlled enviornment?

Or should we be hoping more for the wireless carriers to provide us with faster all over data coverage?

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: WiFi On The BlackBerry: Will It Really Be THAT Great?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I still think 3G would be a better way to go.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I did a few more cities, curious as to how they stack up compared to the ones listed above:

Nashville, TN:
    121 Total
    14 Free
    107 Pay

Orlando, FL:
    208 Total
    12 Free
    196 Pay

Los Angeles, CA:
    309 Total
    24 Free
    285 Pay

Detroit, MI:
    73 Total
    8 Free
    65 Pay

Charolette, NC:
    203 Total
    15 Free
    188 Pay

Seattle, WA:

382 Total
    60 Free
    322 Pay

Santa Fe, NM:
    48 Total
    5 Free
    43 Pay

Dallas, TX:
    254 Total
    29 Free
    225 Pay

Most of the free ones are located in independent cafes, coffee houses, restaurants, bars, etc.

The pay sites are located in hotels, airports, corporate establishments, etc.

So to me, WiFi isn't all it's cracked up to be, unless:

A: You plan on spending all of your time in a fee-free WiFi location

B: Troll around in your car sitting outside of people's houses trying to catch their WiFi

C: Have WiFi in your office building and plan on using it there;

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by johnj41
    I still think 3G would be a better way to go.
    Especially for you out there in Bum-Beep-Kansas.

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

Wifi is great with my laptop I often get it free on open networks . Without wifi your stuck paying high prices for the internet.more companys trying to get you to sign up with them always brings down prices.

HEXED no está en línea Stack level 2
    N8 well said, its really nice to have the wireless EDGE connection but it being faster is great but vs wifi it can't beat it. WiFi isn't good at all for mobile users! But its a doog option to have when ur edge aint workin propperly and ur stationed some where that provides WiFi lol free connection. Damn I didn't know they charged so much for WiFi! But N8 ur correct neva the less sir thanks fo the heads up,

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have a tethered modem on verizom's evdo network. It's amazing how fast it is. But it is only available in some (though many) areas.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

What I want is to have it at my HOUSE! I have spotty coverage at best here, and mostly have zero coverage in the majority of my house. So this would be an AWESOME feature, as I'm here about 12 hours a day, albeit sleeping 5 or 6 of them.
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

I am currently a college student and most of the buildings on campus are wifi equiped as well as my apartment. So having wifi on a BB would be amazing considering the amount of time I spent in/around campus buildings. The only problem I forsee "IF" they put wifi in a BB is that I am on Vzw and would like to stay on that network. I could die before Vzw picks up a new BB...

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

well lets be honest here, Wifi on a handlheld . didn't rim have a handheld that did this i think it was called a 7250 but i may be wrong. Anyhow why use a phone on a wifi hot spot anyhow, doesn't it limit your coverage. yeah you maybe be able to use all over the city but lets face it what happens out in the country when you are broke down on the side of the road. I think what would be far better is if RIM incoperated Cingular 3G technology from the laptop cards into the handhelds, but make it available on all cingular towers. I understand the need for speed and hince why some people would want wifi on the blackberry but at current technology, even with 802.11 n which is the newest which has more range and speed what happens when you have 3 thousand people in a single square mile all competing to get connectivity over a handfull of hotspots. If you follow the evolution of WiFi it doesn't take long for some newer faster type like the afor mention 802.11 N to come out. What do you do when you hundreds of bux on a new handheld that does wifi, and then six monts later a faster better wifi emerges and everyone with a hot spot in your area upgrades and you can no longer connect. Basically if they did introduce this i think it is nothing more than a way for phone comanies to make even more money cause everyone will go out and buy one, and in the future when wifi changes, everyone will go out and buy another. Me i say stick with GPRS, the technology is ever evolving and soon the completely rid the country of the crappy TDMA, CDMA, and PCS, and yet you can go over seas with provisions and continue to make and recieve phone calls.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Yes sir it will be great!

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

i give it a big if i am going to a hotspot i am taking my laptop. plain and simple can't really do anything more with a blackberry on wifi thn you can with it on gprs.even if i didn't want to pay the phone company for the internet and use wifi, it would still suck because there will be times when you needed a netwrok awy from a hotspot and you have to pay to use it.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

In answer to an earlier comment, RIM indeed does have a unit called the 7270, which is a wifi-only device. There is a market for these devices, such as where you have a group of users who work within a single location 100% of the time time who only need voice and data access while at that location. (I believe that the 7270 has SIP phone capabilities.) For example, think of a group that services PCs, or a brokerage where once you leave the building, you no longer need access. By only using wifi, you're not paying a monthly fee to a wireless carrier.

The flaw in that is that too many people need to have connectivity when they leave the building. This is where the 8800 (assuming the rumors are true) will come in.

The original poster (and others) have commented about how mobile broadband makes sense for a lot of users (as opposed to wifi), since if you're primarily in an area covered by mobile broadband, it works anywhere within that area. Wifi, by it's nature, is far more limited in its reach. However, keep in mind that RIM's primary market for a long time has been the enterprise. (The Pearl, of course, is the first significant foray into the pro-sumer space.)

Within a wifi-enabled enterprise, the idea is that you'd be able to connect to your corporate phone system, with the Blackberry replacing (or at least augmenting) your desk phone. You hook up to the internal wifi network, and your BB makes and receives calls as if it were your conventional desk phone. When you leave the wifi area, you revert back to your conventional mobile phone coverage. As a bonus, if you're in an area with wifi connectivity you will, at least for the time being, get better connectivity for data as well.

For a non-enterprise user, I'm not so sure how important a dual-mode (cellular + wifi) device will be, but I think that this has a lot of potential for at least a portion of the enterprise users.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by dkozinn
    For a non-enterprise user, I'm not so sure how important a dual-mode (cellular + wifi) device will be, but I think that this has a lot of potential for at least a portion of the enterprise users.
    Good comments, and that's what I was getting at.

I think that a large portion of the people who are posting about how great WiFi on a BlackBerry will be at this moment, seem to be private individual users, and not actual corporate users.

That's why I wanted to bring this up. I think some people are thinking that WiFi is completely free and you can access it wherever you are within a city area, which obviously isn't the case.

I am not disputing that WiFi wouldn't be good in several circumstances, I just don't want people thinking when this comes out, all of a sudden they are going to have blazing fast WiFi no matter where they are.

PIN/ID
    3115EE05

THIS IS WHAT I BASICALLY TRYING TO GET AT. ANY WIFI CONNECTION THAT IS 802.11 B OR NEWER USUALLY HAS A WEP KEY ON IT WHICH MEANS THAT UNLESS YOU ARE IN A PUBLIC PLACE YOUR LIKELY NOT GOING TO GET ON IT. IN OTHER WORDS THE AVERAGE JOE SCHMO WOULD PROBABLY BE LEFT HOLDING THIER D**k WHEN THEY NEEDED TO MAKE A CALL AND COULDN'T BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T ACCES A HOTSPOT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast