Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Being that they make and sell MicroSD cards with Wifi now, does anyone know if ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

Serpent no está en línea Stack level 2

Wifi On Pearl via Micro SD

Advertisement

Being that they make and sell MicroSD cards with Wifi now, does anyone know if it would be possible to use one in the blackberry Pearl? And if so, how?

antx16 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Wifi On Pearl via Micro SD

good question that one i suppose rim would have to write it into ther next os , because if you look at the 8800 they have got text in the os referring to wifi .

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's an interesting thought but I don't know if the pearl would recognize it. Is anyone able to test this out?

Lightbulb Re: Wifi On Pearl via Micro SD

Quote Originally Posted by joeperrin212
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's an interesting thought but I don't know if the pearl would recognize it. Is anyone able to test this out?
    would be pretty cool though for people with small data plans

Chrnoebl no está en línea Stack level 1

wifi means it will work like a real computer?

Thumbs down Re: Wifi On Pearl via Micro SD

Quote Originally Posted by Chrnoebl
    wifi means it will work like a real computer?
    yep sure will if the software in the blackberry gets compatible with the micro sd card , but that is all a big question at the moment , wish i could get my hands on a micro sd wifi card just to try

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

hmm.. they really should set up a software engineer area for ideas like this to be brought into existance.

sharky77uk no está en línea Stack level 2

WI-FI is only available on SD. I suspect it will be quite some time before you can get a micro SD which will be WI-FI enabled

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

I have wi- fi in my home and please be aware that the service is charged to the place you are in at the time, hence the prob, again you pay the bucks you get the service
    It has nothing to do with sd cards. They do not have to br WI-Fi enabled PIN me for more info

bready no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2446C5F4

Quote Originally Posted by gazar
    I have wi- fi in my home and please be aware that the service is charged to the place you are in at the time, hence the prob, again you pay the bucks you get the service
    It has nothing to do with sd cards. They do not have to br WI-Fi enabled PIN me for more info
    Huh? Are you saying that RIM will charge you if you use a WIFI enabled BlackBerry device on your own internet connection? How would they do that? Would they clock how long you've used the WIFI connection and mail the bill to your house or something? That sounds a little far-fetched if you ask me.

I don't think there are MICRO-sd wifi adapters (could be wrong); besides, even if there were, the Pearl would not know what to do with it (no drivers for it).

BReady

SpecTec’s MicroSD Card with Wifi

Published by Chip Chick September 29th, 2006 in Web/Tech.

Just a few years ago I remember how cool I thought it was when I bought a
    compact flash wifi adapter for my ipaq. I marveled at how they managed to fit
    wifi into such a tiny little card. Then Secure Digital cards became more
    prevailant and some company came out with an SD card with wifi built in. Once
    again, I marvelled at this new feat of technology. Some time later I got my
    first smartphone with a mini SD slot. When i discovered that there was a miniSD
    card with wifi, I could barely believe that it was true. Surely, nothing could
    get smaller then these miniSD cards… and to fit wifi into one? How did they do
    it?
    A few weeks ago I got myself the Samsung i320n Windows Smartphone, which
    I am in love with by the way. I ordered a MicroSD card for it. When it arrived i
    almost choked when i saw the chicklet sized MicroSD card that managed to fit
    1Gig inside of it. For the hell of it I decided to google "MicroSD with wifi", and lo and behold I dicovered that Spectec has MicroSD cards with 802.11b/g. I am
    speechless. Then again in a world where RFID chips are the size of a piece of
    rice, should anything amaze me anymore?

4 gig Micros are gonna really wierd you out man

Serpent no está en línea Stack level 2

I may have misspoken when I said that they "sell" wifi Micro SD cards, but obviously they make them. And I too am perplexed by your comment, Gazar about how they'll charge people to basically use Wifi in their own homes or wherever else there might be free wifi. But at any rate, the best thing to do is to see if we can petition or suggest that RIM write a software upgrade allowing their use. That or see if a company will write a program. Screw the carriers, I want fast internet at home, at school and anywhere else I can get it.

SonikAMD no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e44a00

There is a MicroSD card out there the SDW 823.
    ...OS Support: Microsoft Windows CE 4.X-5.X
    Seems we need to petition Spectec as well :/

Mr serpent, WAP broad band for de people as bob marlrey used to say. wi-fi is a lincesed service that . say for example you walk in to Star****s or an airport, you have to pay for thet service with
    that provider. unless RIM or say nokia or god bless them Apple do a deal with these companies.you will have to pay individual rates , everytime you go to a place, things will change before we have to worry about it !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast