Hi to all, this is my first post and I like to say this is ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

luigi37 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question WiFi not working on BB8120

Advertisement

Hi to all, this is my first post and I like to say this is the best forum regarding BB´s all over the net.

This is my brief history... I live in Rosarito Mexico, and I'm so happy that finally I was able to have a brand new BB, so i opted for the 8120 because the WiFi capability.

I purchased thru Telcel, so the same day (like 3 days ago) I was ready to setup my email and start browsing the internet, but oh surprise! I was not able to do any of that!!! Frustrated after some hours trying, I finally decided to call customer support, and they can´t do anything (as usually). They advice me to go to the store I purchased my BB for help.

Before that, I just start doing a big search on the internet about the problem, and just found that they are selling the BB with the WiFi "capped, blocked or restricted" beause that way, you are forced to buy a data plan (what's the WiFi for then???) For me this is a big fraud, since they don't tell you about this at the time of purchase. So I'll try to have the BB back today for a refund (not an easy job!). It´s a shame, because I really liked the phone.

Just in case, I wondering then if I unlock the BB with MFI multiloader, I will have the WiFi unblocked also? Right now the software version is 4.3 tight to Telcel, do I´ll be able to upgade to the generic 4.5 version? or I need to unlock with the same old version?

Any help will be greatfully appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance...

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    luigi, First take a look at this thread - it may help. I'm not aware that a carrier can lock the wi-fi but it may be possible. As Melissa said in the referenced post, you should be able to use the wi-fi whether you even havea SIM card in the phone (unless it IS locked somehow.)

See if the settings I recommend in my posts help you any and post back exactly the message or response that you get when you try to use wi-fi. Have you even been able to set up wi-fi using the "set up wi-fi" from you home screen?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Hi, thank you for your advice, I'm posting an image with all the settings I have (is in spanish but still you will be able to understand, since are the same screens either english or spanish). I'm able to grab an IP, to connect to the homewireless router, to setup the hotspot browser to use WiFi, the WiFi icon is grey, not solid black, that means is connected but not able to use UMA, etc. The phone company just block the ability to use the WiFi to have ain internet connection. tha's why I'm wondering if unlocking the phone will also unlock the WiFi to be open like is supposed to be.

http://www.rosaritofix.com/images/BB8120 (Medium).jpg , just in case the image won't display

this is the correct link to that.
    Last edited by luigi37; 02-23-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: wrong address

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Have you changed your default browser to "hotspot browser" ? It may still be trying to go through the gprs/edge browser...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I don't think unlocking the phone will have anything to do with the wi-fi. I think that would only allow you to use any SIM card in your unlocked phone.

I could be wrong because I don't have any experience with locked out wi-fi. I wasn't aware that it could be done.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Unlocking will definately not have any effect... But if the carrier has indeed hardcoded some settings, you can remove them by debranding...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Thank you for your advice, I'll better try to take it back and have a refund.