On a embedded PC I've configued a hotspot for mobile devices - any device can ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

kaczor1984 no está en línea Stack level 1

WiFi hotspot connection not working

Advertisement

On a embedded PC I've configued a hotspot for mobile devices - any device can connect to WiFi it provides and use it to access websites. However one of our customers told us that he can't use it with Blackberry.
    Only funcionality we need is website access, no need for UMA or any other extra BB-specific features.

First problem we had was that BB couldn't associate to hotspot at all. That is fixed now by disabling 'wmm' on hotspot.

Problem that stays open is accessing websites. The browser is set to 'hotspot mode' but whenever i enter url in a browser the request times out. The gateway is correct, DNS-server (gateway itself) is correct too, IP address is assigned correct.
    I dug into it and i can see that most of DNS queries don't reach the hotspot at all. When i try DNS test utility results are the same - most DNS queries don't reach hotspot. I can see BB exchanging ARP 'who has' APR 'is at' packets and thats all.
    Ping to my hotspot works when i chose 'WiFi -gateway' (however it responds only once after ~1600ms, later requests time-out). When I try to ping it via IP all request time out (however i can see in logs that ping reaches my hotspot and it responds immediately).

Hotspot config is atheros (2413) based wifi card in ap mode. Driver is ath5k from 2.6.38 kernel. I use hostapd to create wifi network and dnsmasq as DHCP/DNS server.
    I saw this thread (http://forums.pinstack.com/f156/hostap_madwifi_ng_atheros_and_w004_error-76140/ ) but changing anything in BB is not an option (it has to work with any blackberry). Also changing DNS address is not an option.
    Last edited by kaczor1984; 05-10-2011 at 10:41 AM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack!

This is all over my head, but hopefully someone else will be able to chime in and help you out here.

Just a reach here, but have you tried changing the browser to another setting other than hotspot mode?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post

Just a reach here, but have you tried changing the browser to another setting other than hotspot mode?
    Hello,

Well this also doesn't come into account - there will be many hotspots and many people will connect to it. Additionally hotspot will show some commercials so all of the traffic/DNS has to go through our hotspot.

I confirmed it's an ath5k driver issue. I tried to install madwifi driver and it works. Of course i've got the stuck beacon problem. Anyone got a solution for that? (http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/StuckBeacon) Tried a solution with setting options in rc.madwifi but it doesn't help me, still getting stuck beacons and hotspot freezes.

I've found a real reason of those problems. After trying most of WiFi chipsets and drivers I turned off bluetooth on my 'hotspot' (it was scanning neighbourhood all the time).
    Voila - the BB started working and wifi started to be more reliable.

Now I have to find a way to keep both coexisting and not interfering each other.