Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I will be traveling internationally next month and for some countries T-Mobile charges $4 or ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3

WiFi calls when traveling overseas

Advertisement

I will be traveling internationally next month and for some countries T-Mobile charges $4 or $5 per minute roaming. I would like to know if I can avoid those fees by calling via WiFi. I understand I would have to subscribe to the HotSpot at Home. Would I be able to use any open WiFi or just T-Mobile's? Thanks

CobraRacer no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: WiFi calls when traveling overseas

From the T-Mobile support for the Blackberry 8320:

Can I make or receive calls from outside of the United States?

T-Mobile cannot guarantee Wi-Fi service outside your home or US HotSpot locations.

Calling from international locations with your T-Mobile HotSpot Phone and Wireless Router works the same as if calling from the US. The normal domestic rates apply when making a call to a location within the US, and international long distance applies when making a call to a location outside the US.

NOTE: There are no call hand offs to or from networks other than T-Mobile USA’s network, and Wi-Fi calls cannot be made or received at T-Mobile HotSpot locations outside of the US.

*Bluetooth is a trademark owned by SIG, Inc. and is used by T-Mobile under license.

tm23450

snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f389df

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well no offense but that sounds a bit cryptic. But from what I read I would say that yes you can as long as the wifi is not owned by tmobile.

Unfortuanlty I work for att no no real answers here

obsidian no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2162b5fd

What it means is that T-Mo won't promise the same performance outside the US as in. That's hardly surprising since T-Mobile didn't have any input on setting up the networks elsewhere. Also there's probably a hundred thousand laws covering telecom and taxation that have to danced around.

From what I'm told when connected to a Hot Spot it'll be domestic ( like you were in the USA) calling rates like $0.34 to UK versus $0.99 roaming.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4
    Okkk so this means if I purchase tmo at home service and go home in tijuana Mexico connect to my wireless lan from my Mexican ISP and then make calls to the us I will be paying long distance rates?
    Or not?
    Can someone clear this out please?

j0hn00 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242066D4

What if you don't have H@H? I know that calls made during peak hours would be taken out of my monthly minutes. But what if I'm overseas? What time do nights start? Or do all calls made UMA count as minutes used? I too will be travelling for a few weeks internationally next month, and would like to be able to use my minutes.

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

my bad, the answer to my question is on the 2 reply

jeffharris no está en línea Stack level 2

I've used it in Japan, Geneva, and Munich the last 2 weeks, and UMA works great! Especially if you travel with a portable router I use the Linksys WTR54GS, which workd great with UMA - the Apple Express doesn't), and hook it to the wired (like hotels) internet connection.

And yes, all works as if you were in the USA, also receiveing calls.

It's been the best travel technology for me since Slingbox!

PIN/ID
    242066D4

I just bought the Linksys travel router myself. Just to be sure, I turned off everything but wifi and made some calls and wrote some email. Everything seems to work great. I just wish I knew for sure when nights and weekends start when I'm overseas, as I don't have the H@H feature. I guess it'll be a trial and error kind of deal, checking the My T-Mobile website everyday.

jeffharris no está en línea Stack level 2

I would have to believe that n&w start at the time from the eminating area code of your T-Mo account. Where you are in the world, via WiFi, is irrelevant.

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3

It would be great if some folks would chime-in after they get their monthly bill, so we can see how they were in fact charged for the calls they made while overseas.

PIN/ID
    242066D4

i'll definitely post once i actually go on my trip, which won't be for two weeks.

miamitreo no está en línea Stack level 2

Great technology. Wonder if att will implement something simular. On another note wonder if t-mo is working. On disabling usage without paying them their cut....

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn00
    I just bought the Linksys travel router myself. Just to be sure, I turned off everything but wifi and made some calls and wrote some email. Everything seems to work great. I just wish I knew for sure when nights and weekends start when I'm overseas, as I don't have the H@H feature. I guess it'll be a trial and error kind of deal, checking the My T-Mobile website everyday.
    Actually, nights and weekends don't apply when you are roaming internationally. The wifi calls do not use bucket minutes, they use the unlimited minutes that are available to you when you get the @home service added onto your rate plan. Without it I don't believe you can make wifi calls normally. It's interesting that you mention that you don't have it but the wifi calling works. I am wondering how it is routing the call......

Zo

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Wi-fi calls can be made without the H@H feature, all it does is then take the minutes from your bucket of minutes. The UMA allows the user to make calls across the wi-fi so that one can have a better and stronger signal, and all the H@H feature does is give one unlimited minutes when using that feature. I don't know if T-Mo actually intended the UMA to be usable without the H@H feature but the way it is set up, that is how it is working by defaulting to your included minutes without the feature added (and I had this confirmed by a tech support person in the H@H department while trouble shooting my problems, even though I do have the feature added).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast