I had to spend about 3 hours to configure wifi to work on my 8820. ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

mjb
    mjb no está en línea Stack level 1

Wifi buggy but got it to work

Advertisement

I had to spend about 3 hours to configure wifi to work on my 8820.

DLINK DIR655 firmware 1.10
    BBERRY 8820

The main issue that I had was that my router was set up with SSID broadcast off and security set to "Auto WPA and WPA2".

For whatever reason, teh 8820 could not see the network even when I manually input the SSID. I understand from what I read that this is a router specific issue and that with other routers the 8820 will connect to the network even if the SSID broadcast is set to off. For whatever reason this doesnt work with the DLINK 655. Also, the "Auto WPA and WPA2" toggle doesnt work either.

I reset the router to WPA only (I read on these forums that WPA2 only would work as well but I havent tested it) and set the SSID broadcast to "on" and finally got a successful connection with the 8820.

Its unfortunate that I need to keep the SSID broadcast on since that just reduces another layer of security that would like to keep.

DanXP no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Wifi buggy but got it to work

is wpa2 the same as wpa(802.1x) or wpa-psk?

mjb
    mjb no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by DanXP View Post
    is wpa2 the same as wpa(802.1x) or wpa-psk?

WPA = WPA-PSK. Bberry doesnt show the "WPA" part, only the "PSK" part for some reason. WPA2 is a stronger version on WPA and can also have a pre shared key.

gteague no está en línea Stack level 2

did you mean '8820'? or 8320? the curve or 8320 is the unit i have. just got it a few hours ago to replace an 8700g.

i too have this router and firmware. i normally run 'ssid (beacon) off' to discourage the casual wardrivers. but when i get a new device to connect i turn the beacon on until i'm finished troubleshooting.

i also run a MAC address filter and once i plugged the curve MAC into my 'approved' filter and told it to scan networks, i was able to join my network straightaway. great, thinks i. piece of cake, couldn't have been less trouble.

btw, i'm running with the 'auto wpa/wpa2' setting.

anyway, as you can guess since i'm replying to this post, turning the ssid off immediately dropped the connection. there was no amount of manual prodding or tweaking of dlink settings that would convince the curve to connect with the dlink beacon off.

of course i called tmobile who were clueless up to level3 (wireless router installs ldept) and suggested i call dlink. right ... 'dlink: i have 8 devices which connect just fine with ssid off and this one device that won't. tmobile says it's your problem.'

yeah, that ought to work! [g]

anyway, i totally agree with the poster i'm quoting. having your ssid visible is a security hole you could drive a truck through.

any suggestions welcomed.

thanks,

/guy

Quote Originally Posted by mjb View Post
    DLINK DIR655 firmware 1.10
    BBERRY 8820

The main issue that I had was that my router was set up with SSID broadcast off and security set to "Auto WPA and WPA2".

For whatever reason, teh 8820 could not see the network even when I manually input the SSID. I understand from what I read that this is a router specific issue and that with other routers the 8820 will connect to the network even if the SSID broadcast is set to off. For whatever reason this doesnt work with the DLINK 655. Also, the "Auto WPA and WPA2" toggle doesnt work either.

I reset the router to WPA only (I read on these forums that WPA2 only would work as well but I havent tested it) and set the SSID broadcast to "on" and finally got a successful connection with the 8820.

Its unfortunate that I need to keep the SSID broadcast on since that just reduces another layer of security that would like to keep.
    We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I have used that router with the beacon turned off without any problem connecting. I no longer use it as I had problems getting it to set up correctly with the UMA as I was constantly getting "call failed messages. Others have set it up without problems, so I know it works. I really liked the router and wanted to use it as it was fast and stable, but ended up abandoning it for another router as UMA is crucial for me. As for having the SSID broadcast, it seems to be a concensus that not too large of a security risk is breached by enabling, so I wouldn't be worried, especially with WPA or better and MAC addressing securities (which MAC addressing is another low level security as it is so easy to hack and replicate a MAC address) that you both are using. You will fine, unless you are in a major metropolitan area and keep highly crucial info on your computer (such as a business would with trade secrets), for the average user the worry is not much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    I have used that router with the beacon turned off without any problem connecting. I no longer use it as I had problems getting it to set up correctly with the UMA as I was constantly getting "call failed messages. Others have set it up without problems, so I know it works. I really liked the router and wanted to use it as it was fast and stable, but ended up abandoning it for another router as UMA is crucial for me. As for having the SSID broadcast, it seems to be a concensus that not too large of a security risk is breached by enabling, so I wouldn't be worried, especially with WPA or better and MAC addressing securities (which MAC addressing is another low level security as it is so easy to hack and replicate a MAC address) that you both are using. You will fine, unless you are in a major metropolitan area and keep highly crucial info on your computer (such as a business would with trade secrets), for the average user the worry is not much at all.
    tks for the reply. i agree that not displaying your ssid is not the worst thing you could do security-wise. i take some other security measures including limiting DCHP assignments pool. but i'll still keep trying to run without ssid on as it's the very first thing someone looking for an open network would use. it's like the old joke about the lion and the gazelles: you don't have to be the fastest gazelle to avoid the lion, just not the slowest!

as to your last point, i'm definitely in a major metropolitan area being a 3-wood away from dfw airport and i can 'see' at least a dozen wireless networks with a casual scan. i have no really classified or critical information on my network, but having had credit card information stolen and used a few years ago i'm interested in keeping things buttoned down as far as is reasonable.

/guy
    We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien

When I used that router, I only used wpa-psk as I couldn't get connection with WPA2 (but I believe that is due to some of the older netwroking cards in my network that weren't fully WPA2 compliant). But like you I set it up with beacon on and then when everything was secure and connected, I then turned the beacon off and it worked great. I can't remembe exactly, but for me the downfall was the speed. With the Curve connected everything fell back to G as that was the fastest speed possible with the Curve, so it throttled the entire network (At least that was how all of the other N routers I had worked as they couldn't maintain mixed mode consistency throughout the network, remember a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, hey we're doing the old analogy thing right??).

As for the Gazelle, your at least not the slowest as you are using a security. I was reading over at the DD-WRT forumn and those guys recommend not hiding the SSID as they say that any good wardriver will find it anyhow, so it doesn't really do much good, as long as you are using security with a large random encryption key, as opposed to a phrase. They say that all the SSID off really does is just to mess with the stability of your network and slow down your ability to find and connect to the network. They could be off their rocker, but when it comes to networking they are the best that I have seen (although they can be slightly idiosynctractic at times). I used to run SSID off, vbut have since changed and notice that others in my neighborhood are running with SSID off as well, and some are only running WEP or no encryption at all. I feel this makes me the head Gazelle and would give the Lions a run for their money.

When I used that router, I only used wpa-psk as I couldn't get connection with WPA2 (but I believe that is due to some of the older netwroking cards in my network that weren't fully WPA2 compliant). But like you I set it up with beacon on and then when everything was secure and connected, I then turned the beacon off and it worked great. I can't remembe exactly, but for me the downfall was the speed. With the Curve connected everything fell back to G <del>
    i only use wpa (personal), not wpa2 (enterprise) but i suspect that MAC filtering will weed out 60-80% of the script kiddies. and i have other 'g' devices, so i'm not expecting to run at 'n' speeds until everything gets updated, so that's not an issue.

As for the Gazelle, your at least not the slowest as you are using a security. I was reading over at the DD-WRT forumn and those guys recommend not hiding the SSID as they say that any good wardriver will find it anyhow, <del>I used to run SSID off, vbut have since changed and notice that others in my neighborhood are running with SSID off as well, and some are only running WEP or no encryption at all. I feel this makes me the head Gazelle and would give the Lions a run for their money.

i agree with that. of the dozen or so wifi nets within my scanning radius, at least 2 are open and another half-dozen are wep. so you'd think those looking for the quick fix would go through them first.

and if those wifi security forum guys think it's so easy to suss out the ssid, i'll go over and see if i can find out for myself! i'm no hacker, but i do like to know some of these techniques so i can guard against them.

tks again for the tips,

/guy

I am not fully versed in the workings but what they would do is a frequency code hop that would gather the freq in use and then compare against the available 802.11 freqs in use (as they are all regulated by the FCC). From this point it would be the matter of just catching an deciphering the code stream, the same way in which the FCC does this, and the same way that they would be able to grab the stream and break the WEP security. Don't know if I fully believe it, but it is rumored that there is a cracker out there that can break WEP security in about 60-65 seconds (that is fast). They would aslo gain and dup MAC addresses the same way (in fact one of the security experts says that if all you have on your system is MAC addressing security, then you might as well have an open access point as it is worthless (once again, I am not sure that I believe or agree with the findings, but that is their claim).