Ok 2 questions: 1) What is start blackberry connection in the options list in the ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

ccjjr59 no está en línea Stack level 2

Wifi and Start Blackberry Connection Question

Advertisement

Ok 2 questions:

1) What is start blackberry connection in the options list in the web browser?

2) For wifi, why would UMA switch to just EDGE when I was sleeping last night?

Also, for wifi, it seems like it goes in and out a lot when I'm in the same spot, like goes to grey. Is there a quick way to say "go try to reconnect"? I've been turning off the wifi connection and turning it back on. Seems like it isn't very quick to try to reconnect on its own.

Still having less than stellar speeds over wifi... I hope they fix some bug or something

Thanks for your help guys!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Wifi and Start Blackberry Connection Question

great place to start:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rry_wi_fi.html

As per speeds what Wi-Fi network are you conneted to?

ccjjr59 no está en línea Stack level 2

I've tried on 3 different networks and each had a different router (1 corporate). The only time I see greater speeds are when I download applications OTA. I went and got a replacement 8320 today and it is the same in terms of web browsing speed.

JimCanuck no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    206A2A0D

Have been using an 8820 with several Wifi connections over the past few days. (If you have an Apple Airport Extreme you need a firmware upgrade to 7.2.1 released in August.) Includes Linksys WRT54GS and WTR54GS (Travel Router). I am not having browser speed issues; suggest you check your router setup and Internet connection. (Make sure you have the latest firmware on your Blackberry.) My biggest issue is that most websites do not have "mobile" editions suitable for viewing on a mobile platform. Google Mail is a good example of a web service that does recognize a mobile device; also find Google News is very fast -- certainly faster than via EDGE.

Also tried it at a couple of Canadian Hotspot locations; in this case the browser speed was governed by the actual Internet access setup at the Hotspot site; when you get a good connection the speed is excellent.

As for that "Start Blackberry Connection" in the browser menu: it initiates the wifi browser to attempt a connection to a "blackberry.com /select /wifiloginsuccess" site (cannot post with URL) when at a hotspot. If you need to be authenticated or accept T & Cs, the captive portal will intercept and re-direct you to the auth page, otherwise it connects to the above location. In other words, if you are at a Hotspot requiring a login, use this. (Don't know what is different from going via the Manage Connections | Set Up WiFi Network route but it works.)