Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All, Im brand new to blackberry and cant understand why it has taken me ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

robcoh no está en línea Stack level 1

Wifi & Email

Advertisement

Hi All, Im brand new to blackberry and cant understand why it has taken me so long to get one.

I just have one quick question, I am on Orange (UK) and only have the small 6mb BIS package, but i have just got an 8820 with Wifi, am i able to use my wifi connection at Uni/Home to recieve email when im there? or is it just for the internet?

Help is appreciated, and this has been a really useful forum to prepare me for what to expect, so thanks.

Rob

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: Wifi & Email

I have a 5mb package with CIngular and I could use it any way I saw fit. I would "think" yours would be the same case. Internet, email, mms, all take up data and "should" be included in that package unless it's only limited to email which I wouldnt think. You may want to check with your provider as well just to clarify.
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

Kilted Bradley no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by rabbie303
    I have a 5mb package with CIngular and I could use it any way I saw fit. I would "think" yours would be the same case. Internet, email, mms, all take up data and "should" be included in that package unless it's only limited to email which I wouldnt think. You may want to check with your provider as well just to clarify.
    I think he's asking if the WiFi connection will allow him to receive email.

Correct, can the Wifi be used for email?

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

I think there's another question here too. IF WiFi can be used to receive email, does that "avoid" using data from your plan. Technically I would think it would, but I've heard of odder things!

Bigberry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Orange charge 9p a minute to use wifi and that means anything done within that time if you are using it to hook up to an orange livebox at home you should see UMA apear at the top of your screen this i have been informed is free

kaleb101 no está en línea Stack level 2

How can they know if your using WIFI that seems so strange to be able to have to pay for wifi. SO if you have your own home WIFI connection you have to pay the mobile company to use it?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's crazy. Does that mean when I'm at home I'm paying to use my broadband over wifi and orange? That doesn't seem right!

Bigberry no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Today it feels like i have spent hours talking with orange finally to get put through to business customer support, if you are on orange do not ring 150 to ask queries about your BB ring 345 this will take you straight to business customer support.
    If you connect via uma to the internet or send email or any data then it is free, phone calls still count against your minutes.
    If you conect to the internet via a free open WI-FI portal then the same applies, the 9p per minute that they advertise does not apply to BB's.

I hope this helps.

shayind4 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have 8820. What i do at home is to switch off phone signal and use only wifi to surf the net free. You cannot send or receive email this way but the wifi is free with home broadband. Use internet browser.

GadgetProne no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

I pay 9.99 extra monthly for @home on Tmobile which gives me unlimited calls routed through WiFi. When UMA is showing I get all my BB bis mail and txt messages over the router, it's sweet!
    Last edited by GadgetProne; 10-18-2007 at 05:14 PM.

oates03 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Question Re: Wifi & Email

What other plans do you have with TMO? I am not able to get wifi email. I have spent days on the phone with RIM and TMO. I have been told that I need at least a dataplan, because the emails are still routed thru the RIM email (push) servers.

I really wanted to use WIFI email and not have a dataplan for SAFETY purposes. I do not want to get email, while I am in the car.

I have not found a way to get email over WIFI. Can anyone offer assistance? Please recall I do not have a BIS or BES internet data plan.

Maybe there is a 3rd party email application that I can load to the BB 8320.

PIN/ID

Question MORE: Wifi & Email (3rd apps)

FREEWARE (preferred)/ SHAREWARE (if good)

Are there any third party applications that I can load to my 8320, that will pull email via wifi (e.g. POP3 & IMAP).

I do not have the BIS/ BES plans, so my email is not routed/ pushed through the RIM mail servers
    Last edited by oates03; 10-09-2007 at 02:39 PM.

havard914 no está en línea Stack level 1

So if I do not have a data plan, do I get charged for using wifi at home?

PIN/ID

Do you have @Home? If not, I am not sure. TMO claims they will be able to see data traffic. I am leaning towards this to be similar to when ISP were saying they could monitor the number of PC on a local home LAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast