Can someone explain WiFi to me for the blackberry? I currently have the 8100 through ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

smarkow no está en línea Stack level 2

WiFi

Advertisement

Can someone explain WiFi to me for the blackberry? I currently have the 8100 through TMobile which does not have WiFi capabilities. I'm unfamiliar with how WiFi improves the phone? How does it compare to 3G?

Thanks,
    S

atleastzero no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2420565A
    To connect using WiFi, you would need to be near a wireless access point (at a library, coffee shop, airport). When connected with WiFi, the signal will usually be quite a bit faster than if you were just using your carrier's data plan.
    I've never used 3G, but to my knowledge it is considerably faster than normal phone services. If you have 3G, I doubt you'd need WiFi.
    www.ATLEASTZERO.com -~- my WebComic
    PIN: 2420565A -~- T-Mo 8320 4.5.0.52

so, what you're saying is, if i am in one of those Tmobile "hot spots" or at a Starbucks, etc, my the speed of browsing the internet will be substantially faster than over the normal EDGE network.
    I've never used a 3G phone before, so i'm curious as to how much better it is than the EDGE network? Is the difference between the two only noticeable when browsing the internet? How much of a difference?

atleastzero no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2420565A
    3G is being advertised as providing "twice as fast" connection speeds. This would mostly be noticable while surfing, but I'm sure it would speed up anything that your phone needs to bounce off a satellite. As far as the WiFi goes, it all depends on the network you're connected to. I've got a coffeeshop nearby that has the SLOWEST internet ever. If I connect to that WiFi, I hate life and would much rather be using my EDGE. Other WiFi areas are better, of course, so it just depends on where you're at and what's available. I hardly switch over to WiFi though, because EDGE works well enough for my needs to not have to go through the trouble of searching and connecting to hotspots.
    www.ATLEASTZERO.com -~- my WebComic
    PIN: 2420565A -~- T-Mo 8320 4.5.0.52

Does the phone automatically switch to WiFi when you are in an area that has it, or do you have to manually tell your phone to use the WIFI b/c you are in a hotspot?

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    if you have wifi enabled, the phone can automaticly switch to saved wifi profiles stored on the phone.
    phatman the phat stacker!

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    I'll chime in here... Proir to my moving a few months ago, I had EDGE service where I lived. I also had 10MB internet. I hookup up a TMO router (a Linksys with T-Mobile stamped on it - a 54G, I think?) and connected to it with my Curve. Running over wi-fi was significantly faster than EDGE. Pages appeared almost instantly!

The only complaint that I had was the range. My router was in a BR in one corner of the house, and I would drop wi-fi in the opposite corner - there was 5 walls in between to be fair.

Using the phone, as a phone, over wi-fi "seemed" to be clearer from the responses that those on the other end reported.

Hope that helps,
    David

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by smarkow View Post
    Can someone explain WiFi to me for the blackberry? I currently have the 8100 through TMobile which does not have WiFi capabilities. I'm unfamiliar with how WiFi improves the phone? How does it compare to 3G?

Thanks,
    S

WiFi greatly improves your service! its MUCH faster than edge(night & day)! Whether surfing, downloading apps, videos, etc. all are super quick! Also calls are free when using WiFi(9.99 per mo.),!!! I average around 150 peak minutes per mo. because i have wifi at home & work plus free nights & wkends! I never used 3G, so i cant compare, but I could care less about it because wifi is fast enough for me!
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

funkym no está en línea Stack level 3
    wifi is just awesome! I love it!

dimas999 no está en línea Stack level 1
    wifi.. make all free..