I am looking to upgrade my 8703e and will wait until VZW offers the 8330 ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

glhsracer no está en línea Stack level 1

Why WiFi?

Advertisement

I am looking to upgrade my 8703e and will wait until VZW offers the 8330 if there is a real benefit to WiFi. I have a good, reliable EVDO connection and was looking for input from WiFi users. What are the benefits of WiFi, can you make Voip calls that do not come off regular cell minutes? Is WiFi faster, browsing improved? Any experiances, comments please let me know. Thanks. Glhsracer

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    Wifi is faster than EDGE. I really notice it with the web browser and sending big emails, such as with pictures attached.

Weather or not you can make the calls without taking away from your minutes is up to your provider. With TMo if you add the @home plan then yes, all the calls made over WiFi (UMA) are unlimited.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    If your 8703 is through Verizon and you plan on getting an 8330, your phonr won't have wifi. It will have GPS but no wifi. Hope that answers your question. I have an 8830 and think it is a wonderful phone but will be making that switch when the 8330 becomes available.

glhsracer no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    If your 8703 is through Verizon and you plan on getting an 8330, your phonr won't have wifi. It will have GPS but no wifi. Hope that answers your question. I have an 8830 and think it is a wonderful phone but will be making that switch when the 8330 becomes available.
    Verizon is not going to offer wifi? Do you know why? Why are you switching from the 8830, I am also considering that one? I know, I have lots of questions. Thanks

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The 8330 has GPS, no WiFi.

EVDO is significantly faster than EDGE, so the WiFi has less appeal there for high speed data transfer. This could be part of the reason that the CDMA BlackBerry devices don't have WiFi.

I use WiFi quite a bit on my 8320. The download speeds are impressively faster than EDGE, and I can use UMA to make phone calls in buildings that don't have adequate tower coverage (reinforced concrete, under ground).

Teuton no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2431C260
    What's about range? My co-worker's 8320 picks up fewer wireless connections than a wireless-G adapter usually does.
    Last edited by Teuton; 05-20-2008 at 04:21 AM.

- tom - no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I'm on tmo 8320, here are some points:
    1.WiFi help U to stay connected when there are no signal from your carrier.
    2.WiFi is much faster up to four times compared to edge. 3.you can add bluetooth dongle for your GPS, but there is no WiFi dongle around yet

Hope these help...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

360Challenge no está en línea Stack level 3
    for people who dont have a data plan

funkym no está en línea Stack level 3
    it is fast.
    it is free (@home and @office).

that are my two reasons