Hello everyone. I'd really like to be able to connect to my Cisco switches, firewall ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

Gman1108 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just ask

vpn, rdp, ssh connections

Advertisement

Hello everyone.

I'd really like to be able to connect to my Cisco switches, firewall and various servers at my work using my BB 8300.

Can anyone advise if this is possible and if so,how would I VPN into my firewall then use RDP to take control of servers or even get SSH/telnet to work once I've VPNd into work?

Thank you.

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

Re: vpn, rdp, ssh connections

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ have you looked at the Remote Applications from ShapeServices? I have RDM+ and love it! They have a couple different options and they are both "secure" (128?)
    Check them out at www.shapeservices.com. Not free! About $50, but worth it if they work perfectly for you.

Keep in mind that for me they work well because I have VZ and EVDO speeds. That may hinder your experienxe on EDGE. Test it out. I think they give you at least a week or maybe even a month.

PIN/ID
    Just ask

Thanks for the recomendations.

But, and this is gonna sound dumb, how do I actually connect to the network at work to enable me to browse the various servers?

Surely I'll need some kinda connection/VPN to the office. How would I do this?

RadioDoc no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Gman1108
    Thanks for the recomendations.

But, and this is gonna sound dumb, how do I actually connect to the network at work to enable me to browse the various servers?

Surely I'll need some kinda connection/VPN to the office. How would I do this?
    Are you on a BES server hosted at your office? In that case, your device is already behind your corporate firewall. Just enter the device's address.

If you're on BIS, you'll need to forward ports on your firewall. I don't believe that there is a VPN client for the BlackBerry.

PIN/ID
    Just ask

Yes, I have a BES server at my office.

So, will I need the software that Woodi68 mentioned earlier? --Install the client on my BB and the server part on a computer at my office?

I'm just concerned that i'll be opening a hole in my security.

I've tried using MidPSSH and entering an IP on my network but it comes up with various errors like 'session error-reader IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    or 'writer open tunnel - failure'

I'm thinking that maybe using the client server apps might be more reliable. If this is the case, will I be able to use SSH and telnet to connect to routers, switches and the like?

What do you think?

RadioDoc no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Gman1108
    Yes, I have a BES server at my office.

So, will I need the software that Woodi68 mentioned earlier? --Install the client on my BB and the server part on a computer at my office?

I'm just concerned that i'll be opening a hole in my security.

I've tried using MidPSSH and entering an IP on my network but it comes up with various errors like 'session error-reader IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    or 'writer open tunnel - failure'

I'm thinking that maybe using the client server apps might be more reliable. If this is the case, will I be able to use SSH and telnet to connect to routers, switches and the like?

What do you think?
    For VNC, you'll need VNC server running on the computer. MidPSSH should work as-is, I haven't had any issues with it.

As long as you are connecting through your BES, you are behind your company firewall and there should be no need to mess with it.