Hello. I have an unlocked 8220 that I am using with AT&T. I have been ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Question Using unlocked T-mobile BB on AT&T - any changes needed?

Advertisement

Hello. I have an unlocked 8220 that I am using with AT&T. I have been unable to get a strong wireless connection since I started using this phone (ie the WiFi indicator shows up and says I am connected, but it is grayed out - not clear).

I have done the WPS setup and have a pre-shared key and it says I am connected to my router, but the indicator stays grayed out, and my BB is not showing as connected when I look at active connections on the router. I have tried setting it up using both push button and entering a code, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am using a Netgear router, not purchased from AT&T or anything.

I am going through the exact same steps that I used to successfully connect my AT&T branded 8120 to my wireless router. Is there something that is making this BB look for something from T-mobile that it's not finding since I'm on AT&T? Are there settings I should be changing on the BB to make this work? I've looked everywhere I can think of, but to no avail. I really want to get my WiFi working! Any suggestions? Thanks.

somthinsim no está en línea Stack level 3
    As far as I know your any phone with wifi needs to have the SP to be compatible. ATT does not off UMA like Tmo. In fact, Tmo is the only provider to have wifi capabilities to be used as such. Branding does not have anything to do with it. Its all about the features that the phone has. out of curiosity, why are you trying to connect your phone through your router?

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I'm just trying to connect to my wireless router to use WiFi on my 8220. I'm not trying to use UMA as I know that is only a T-mobile feature. I just want a strong wireless signal so that my web browsing is faster. But I'm unable to connect with a strong signal. I know it's not the router as I have two laptops connected to it with full signal strength and I can get the same with my 8120. So it's got to be something in this BB. I just don't know what to look for!

Don't be so fast to draw. I have a 8320 and it is not compatible with a few dlink routers. I know because I spent 2 months with tech support trying to get it working.

One great thing about the wifi phone is that they have a diagnostic screen that will tell you what you need to know what the problem is. manage connections - wifi opt- wifi diag - the chk the wi-fi section. it will list what the basic network settings are and if its connected correctly. also chk the status. it could be a simple auth err.

give me a status update when you can.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I checked the diagnostics - that's one of the first things I did - and it does say it's connected correctly. That's why I'm confused. Everything looks like it's correct. I'm using a Netgear Rangemax router and had no problem connecting my 8120 with it. Yesterday I actually got a strong signal for a while, but then it went grayed out again. I had changed nothing before or after. Meanwhile, my 2 laptops and 8120 stayed on a consistently strong connection, which again makes me think it's an issue with my 8220. Perhaps it's a problem with this particular handset and nothing to do with being T-mobile and not AT&T?

what was the error on the diag screen when it started to fail? Have you thought about re installin the OS (not wiping)

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    That's just it... I'm not getting any error. I'm still showing a connection if I go to WiFi diagnostics. The only way I can tell there is a problem is that the WiFi icon on the home screen becomes grayed out, instead of a strong black/white, and of course the data transfer rates get slower.

I'm now on my 3rd OS reinstall, to no avail.

sorry to hear that. I will look into it more and get back to you.

twillingham no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240C83A8
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

twillingham no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240C83A8
    I noticed that some routers give the device problems when using security keys and such. Try this let the router be security free delete the old settings on your device and reconnect. This will probably solve your problem. I know no security but I am sure this is your problem. Let us know