Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i've already done that...I had the opera mini browser installed on my 8320 and the ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: UMA Wifi Calling even without @Home?

Advertisement

i've already done that...I had the opera mini browser installed on my 8320 and the wifi worked with a dummy simcard that wasnt activated and i was going on the internet. but that was just me messing around. im not sure what else you can do.

and welcome to the stacks maytag
    Bold - 5.0.0.93 / 8310 - 4.5.0.81 ---- AT&T
    8330 - 4.5.0.77 ---- Sprint

Blackberry's are a lifestyle

jeff.kaiser88@yahoo.com

jortextcu no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242875a8

If I was in Uganda and only had a wireless network but no cell or edge service, could I call the US using an unsecured wireless network?

What about a Cruise ship?

markbb99 no está en línea Stack level 1

When you are connected to UMA you have exactly the same services as if you were over GSM - charged at the same rates unless any of the following are true:
    1) You have the Hotspot@Home addon - then all calls made over UMA are free
    2) You need a data plan to get data over UMA UNLESS you force the browser to use wifi rather than over T-Mobile (eg open the T-Zones page while connected to UMA and you will see the icon change from wifi to UMA)
    3) Overseas while connected to wifi when you get the UMA icon come up all calls are counted as if you are in the US - so if you have the Hotspot@Home addon all calls to US numbers will be free, if you have MyFaves - all calls to those numbers will be free. If you are overseas and you call the country you are in you will be charged the rate of an international call from the US to that country.

Just think of the wifi router as a GSM tower - all SMS, MMS, calls & data are routed over the wifi and charged the same unless the above conditions exist.

jortextcu no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242875a8

thanks for the info,

I guess I am in the wrong thread because I am a ATT user, is there anything different that you know of?

butterfly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    7FFBC4F3

Hmmmn I was all excited about this UMA service...I bought my NETGEAR router so I can have multiple computers at home using the NET.....TMO it's a RIP OFF I have a UMA signal to finally popup on my BB Curve and I have been running my lips thinking that I was not using my (bucket)minutes etc....but I check my minutes and sure enough I am being charged my minutes was ticking OFF....only thing that UMA does is give u a better signal unless you sign up for the hotspot@home package through TMO like MarkBB99 said....I just found this out and it sucks big time...What is the point??
    Last edited by butterfly2; 01-03-2008 at 05:37 PM.
    A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.
    Maya Angelou

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly2 View Post
    What is the point??
    the point, at least for me, is i do not get good coverage at all in my house. with the wifi and uma...i get perfect service. i dont mind it coming off my minutes as long as i got my awesome service

chsguyi69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215B74E3

works as a wifi phone with or without the hotspots@home. one difference is the way they count the mins.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly2 View Post
    Hmmmn I was all excited about this UMA service...I bought my NETGEAR router so I can have multiple computers at home using the NET.....TMO it's a RIP OFF I have a UMA signal to finally popup on my BB Curve and I have been running my lips thinking that I was not using my (bucket)minutes etc....but I check my minutes and sure enough I am being charged my minutes was ticking OFF....only thing that UMA does is give u a better signal unless you sign up for the hotspot@home package through TMO like MarkBB99 said....I just found this out and it sucks big time...What is the point??
    How is ths a RIP OFF? They never claimed to gve you something for nothing. The UMA works as advertised to give better signal reception where it lacks. Now if you want free unlimited minutes, there is no free lunch and you have to add the H@H (or just use the TMO to TMO, free weekends and nights, or my faves, as they will all give you free unlimited over UMA, otherwise it is a nogo). I agree what a rip off that TMO is not giving you something for free!!!

brettxw no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask

I was told by CS that when Im on UMA its free, doesnt take off of my minutes. even if i do not have @home.

Quote Originally Posted by brettxw View Post
    I was told by CS that when Im on UMA its free, doesnt take off of my minutes. even if i do not have @home.
    You were either told wrong or mistaken in what you heard. The only way that the calls would be free without the H@H add on was explained above (if you are using T-mo to T-mo, unlimited nights and weekends, or MyFaves). If you were truly told this, then I would call CS and have them annotate your account accordingly, as you will be charged minutes (unless one of the stated conditions is true) and this way you would have proof for them to reverse the charges. Good luck getting this to happen though as this is not how UMA and the H@H is designed, so I bet you will not find a rep willing to annotate your account with said note (as what you sauy they told you is not the way the system works or is designed).

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

welll sorry you got that information from them....yeah its great. I have the hotspot@home feature on my account and its great to have free calling wherever i can get on wifi, but if you dont care aout the free calling like it was said before then you won't need to add the feature. the purpose o f hotspot @ home is for a few reasons. it cost about 500,000$ to put up towers and in some areas you cant put up towers for a few reasons. so with this idea you can-as long as you're in an area that offers free wifi-have improved reception and in more locations. it's a win-win for everyone. you know. you also get the option for making unlimited calls.

However, everyone using hotspot@home should be on he look out for some new updates coming soon
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

What kind of updates, do tell?? This way I won't moiss them when they roll out. Are theuy for better more reliable connectivity or something extra? How will we know when they roll out?? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ill keep you posted on all the details. Better connectivity will be one thing that will be updated. But we are really excited about it. Ill get you some more info soon enough. I'm just waiting for the official word before more info goes out.

How will we know when it is available, these updates you speak of?? Also when you say soon, is this real world soon, or OS 4.3 soon ??? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~from what I see. Real world soon. Not 4.3 soon. And it'll be announced. And ill give you the heads up as soon as I can.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast