Picked up the 8320 on Monday totally psyched to finally have cell coverage at home ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

UMA probs w/8320, H@H & AirportExtreme

Advertisement

Picked up the 8320 on Monday totally psyched to finally have cell coverage at home via T-mobile's hotspot svc with this new wi-fi enabled great phone. One problem. Can't make any calls out or in.

Have a wifi signal, getting e-mails (the Apple router appears on the BB screen) but there's obviously a handoff issue. Been on the phone excalating this up thru T-mob's tech support tiers (I'm at level 3 now and am told if they can't solve this, i'll have to get with engineering). What one level 3 guy did tell me was to make sure ports 500, 4500 are open and IP SEC PASS THRU is enabled.

Anyone here had this problem and can someone direct me to how to open/access these settings on the AirportExtreme?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: UMA probs w/8320, H@H & AirportExtreme

Any update. Have the techs sorted this?

jamkam no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: UMA probs w/8320, H@H & AirportExtreme

Well, here's my scoop after almost a 2 weeks of attempting to make this work in my config:

I spent the better part of Wed. evening on the phone w/ T-mobile's "adv. tech support" tier 3 or whathaveyou: Great group of guys (barely a handfull of them there). FWIW, you can't speak with them unless you have an unresolved trouble ticket via tier 1 and 2.

After trying my 8320 in a Starbbucks/T-mo hotspot, I was able to make calls although they dropped as I walked around...the T-mo guru said it seems pretty certain it is the Apple router, as reported here and on HoFo threads from other Apple Airport Extreme users. What the precise issue is has been speculated upon but not figured out. It seems it's not a firmware or settings issue w/ the AE router, per se but an incomatabliity with WMM or some other feature.

The final test we did was to put the main internet connection incoming into the D-Link T-mo router and put the Apple router in bridge mode. Without any other config to the T-mo router, I was able to make calls via UMA so at this point, the tech surmised it was not the phone and my (unsupported) Apple router. As I continued to test this set up, the calls would still drop (packets dropping?) and I just decided to pack it in.

In summary, I'm bummed out. I was as patient as I could be, I love the phone, I really think T-mobile customer service is the best of the lot --AT&T, VZW that is-- Courteous, friendly and generally doing their best under the circumstances of having a new rollout and a relatively new service (H@H). But for me, we have zero T-mo signal at my home so I just can't justify staying w/ them. Pity as they offered my 200 bonus minutes for my trouble and patience.

I'll monitor others experiences and stay month-month w/ Verizon and maybe T-mo will get a true unified router fix on the way. Thanks to all of you who chimed in w/ guidance.
    Last edited by jamkam; 10-06-2007 at 12:59 PM.