So last night I was testing out T-Mo's UMA service on my new Blackberry 8320, ... BlackBerry Wi-Fi forum

Cheynne no está en línea Stack level 1

UMA, privacy, and paranoia...

Advertisement

So last night I was testing out T-Mo's UMA service on my new Blackberry 8320, and all of a sudden during a phone call I made the network icon switched to UMA (w/ pink bars) from EDGE and then I heard a noise which sounded a hell of a lot like another phone picking up. Needless to say I hung up, as it painfully reminded me of my sheltered childhood in which I had to sneak phonecalls behind my folks back. In conclusion, is it possibly for someone to access my phone (and its information) through which ever current Wi-Fi network I leech from?

jak
    jak no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: UMA, privacy, and paranoia...

Some times switching from edge to uma or the other way it makes a clicking noise. Thats providing it just does not drop the phone call all together.
    I was wondering also if I make a phone call with someones wifi if they can listen. but after I connect I drive away and lose the wifi conection anyway so they will not be hearing to much.

absoluteevel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C4261

Thumbs up Re: UMA, privacy, and paranoia...

The calls are processed over an encrypted network tunnel. This is why the UMA will not connect without your provider's certificates installed on the phone.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3

UMA data travels over SSL. In that respect, it is more difficult to hear the contents of the phone call than it is over GSM with the flawed A5/1 encryption.

Depending on the reliability of the wireless network, you may get an interruption in your conversation during hand-over, and if packets are dropped during the call on WiFi. Sometimes these interruptions manifest themselves as unpleasant screeches.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

at least you get a clicking noise... i get 'call failed' :-(
    I'm a born again Androider

jwprice no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2423A566

The way I would look at it is; UMA is more safe as far as someone else listening than the normal GSM signal is. It is virtually impossible for the average or experienced person to tap into a UMA phone call. You can however buy devices to listen to others phone calls on GSM.